bayonets

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by Guest, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Chief 101
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/8/01 3:38:17 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All bayonets
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Are the cheap bayos that come with the turk mausers made of good steel?

I'v got several of them laying around that buddies have given me when they bought thier rifles. I was thinking of maybe re-working one of them into a hunting knife.

Steve

TallTLynn
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (7/8/01 5:00:50 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: bayonets
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey Chief101 - would you want to sell one of those bayonets??? I wouldn't mind one for my Turkish Mauser.

Having not seen one am not sure how good a steel they are but considering they were made back in the 40's I would hope it was at least a decent quality.

LIKTOSHOOT
    (7/9/01 6:48:54 pm)
    C101, most early style bayonets are not of the kind of steel for a quality knife making, and if they were of good quality steel, you would be faced with another problem....actually two, first would be the blade style(narrow) and long. The leading edge is to thick for a real cutting edge, in order to do this, you would have to remove material evenly from both sides to maintain the edge`s angle for cutting power and sharpining. A very hard thing to do on a narrow blade that has already been formed by design. It would also have to be shortened for ease of handling. By the time you remove enough material to meet this goal....the knife would be easy to break and may never hold an edge....unless you retemper it, age does not help in this either. Bayonets(old styles) carried a heavy spine for strength and a deep blood grove to prevent suction. Very hard in the spine and less temper in the cutting edge....they were really never designed to take a keen edge.....yes you might get an edge on one....but most never last and are truly not worth the time. I would enjoy them for what they are, and what they may have done(history) or sell them to someone with a rifle they fit....old original bayonets are becoming scare....most will never be high dollar items....it`s the history of days gone by and trench warfare....very brutal times we should never forget. LTS
    "POOFBANNED" Huh?

Chief 101
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/9/01 8:19:44 pm)
    Thanks LTS, I have about had a change of heart about cutting up any of the old stuff that I come across. I keep thinking of the days my dad talks about when the local hardware stores had .30 carbines throwed into garbage cans for 15 bucks apiece. I showed him the other day what they were going for. He couldn't believe it.

Tlynn, Let me see if I have two of the same one, if I do, I'll get back to ya.........

Steve

TallTLynn
    (7/9/01 11:41:37 pm)
    Thanks Steve for checking.

polishshooter
    (7/15/01 10:32:13 pm)
    CHief, you could also ask this in the CR forum. I know for example BobinStL has a bunch of the Turks, may have direct experience with them.

While LTS is right on, SOME bayos made decent fighting knives according to some old vets.

My Bro-in-Law has a cutdown Krag bayo that a Ranger friend of his father (an engineer at Normandy) carried as a fighting knife in Normandy, complete with the notches in the grip from when he used it.
    Patina is an acquired taste.

Mr Jody Hudson
    (7/18/01 8:21:40 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: bayonets
    I picked up an old German Mauser bayonet, after my daughter decided she wanted her own real sword.

I took it to a friend of mine who is a custom knife maker, knife sharpener and has a huge cutlery shop. I paid $20, I think it was for the bayonet and about $30 for him to cut off the end of the handle (where the groove and button where), to sharpen the blade, grind down the crosspiece to eliminate the barrel ring, and shorten it a bit. He said the steel was excellent, based on the spark pattern from his grinding belts. It also has just a bit of flex.

Of course, the Germans tended to use good steel in all of the bayonets that I'm familiar with.

FWIW

Real Estate services; Lewes, Rehoboth, Dewey, Bethany, Fenwick, Oak Orchard and inland bays of Delaware. Informative essays too. Please visit our website and discussion board.