1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

BBBRRRRRR....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ckelley, Jan 19, 2012.

1. ckelley

ckelley Member

-16°F outside this morning with -33°F wind chills... :eek::eek::eek: Not a good way to start the day. I didn't have my block heater on my car plugged in last night so I was a little surprised that my car started this morning. It did, but just barely so now I am waiting for it to warm up a bit before I head to work for the day. Now back to my nice hot cup of coffee!

Have a good day everybody!
  2. Juker

Juker New Member

I would definitely have to agree that's dang cold! Stay warm, stay safe!
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Man, that's cold! I sure am glad that I live in a more temperate climate!
  4. twobit

twobit Active Member

Going to hit 76 today and 80 on Friday. We had a light frost this morning, but warming up fast. (Southwest Texas).
  5. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

Got a chill thinking about it getting into that car.
  6. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Yup, was -17°F when I started my truck after work this morning. Just a bit of wind to make for a -25 windchill. Far from the worst we've ever seen but it's one heck of a change from just a few days ago too.

Me and another of the maintenance guys made a couple rounds around the parking lot jump starting co-workers cars for them. A couple dead batteries, but most of em just plain needed a few more cranking amps to sling the engine over because either the owners didn't plug em in or they didn't have an engine block heater at all.

We've just plain been spoiled up here in ND so far this winter. This is the first really chilly day so far, and we've only had a handful of days where it dropped down to around 0.
    And not a lick of snow either...here's a picture from the 8th of Jan. It was 35°F and I was wearing just a light pair of bib overalls and a quilted flannel while I was tending the smokehouse. I'm going through snowmobile withdrawal, had to do something constructive! :)

Attached Files:

7. DidI

DidI New Member

Look at the cold/snow pictures in the North land and know one thing for sure: Bug are dying!!
    Sooooooo if ya be cold enough come on down for some warmth, and BBQ and try some Texas friendly (with the bugs)
  8. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

So far we have been lucky with not much of a winter at all. I have a remote start so I dont have to scrape my windows. It works from up to a mile away and sends a signal to let me know it received the signal. Once the vehicle starts there is a picture of a car on the LCD screen you will see little puffs of smoke coming from the back of the car on the screen. If the temperature goes below 0 it will automatically start the truck every 4 hours and let it run for 25 minutes.
  9. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

29 deg here with 6" of snow on the ground.

The Governor just declared a State of Emergency. :rolleyes:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2012
  10. Python

Python Former Guest

Lived in So. Lake Tahoe through "too many winters", that's why I retired in the Arizona desert. :D
  11. ckelley

ckelley Member

That is just a dusting of snow here! :D
    Seriously though like Bindernut said we have been pretty lucky so far this winter. The most snow my part of the state has seen in one snowfall this season has only been 1.5". We are on our 3rd of the season and the other two times it has snowed the weather warmed up and melted the snow within a week.
  12. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Oh how I would like to feel minus 17 F right about now. Been hitting minus 55 every night last week or so; high for the day minus 35; but it's minus 22 at lunch in the sun here along the Yukon; and I can actually see that oh so nice yellow ball for a few minutes at lunch on the mnt peaks. Course it stays around 80 and never gets dark come june & july too.

I have a couple plug block heaters. Also have 100 watt pad heaters on batteries, tran pan, oil pan, ect. Trk will start at minus 40 but nobody runs anything, too hard on everything leaking and all. Coldest I ever saw it was in minus 70's and trks stopped running all over the place. People around here take snowmachines, dogteams or walk. I've run my dogteam down the Yukon 50 miles & back at minus 55; ain't fun. Your eyeballs keep freezing shut, bite on mitten and break ice off with fingers, every 5 minutes or so.

[​IMG]
  13. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

I grew up in North Dakota during the 60s and 70s. At that time the average temperature was much colder than today. I still have a lot of family there.

I'm just guessing that you are not a native North Dakotan since you are mentioning -16 there in North Dakota, since it gets much colder and there were many days that I wished it would have gotten as warm as -16.
  14. ckelley

ckelley Member

rcairflr:
    Actually I am a native North Dakotan, but with the nice weather we have had up until now I was kinda hoping it wouldn't get so cold this winter!
    Zhurh:
    I suppose I shouldn't be complaining!
    All this talk about temperatures reminds me of a trip I took to San Diego one January. 70° and sunny the entire time I was there. I got home on a Sunday night and left for Northern Minnesota for work the next morning. We were on the roof of a building hooking up thermostats to some rooftop air handling units. The wind chills that day were -80°!!! So in less than 24 hours I felt a 150° temperature swing! Worst part about it was that we had to take our gloves off to work with the thermostat wires...
  15. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

Where do you live. I grew up on a farm about 20 miles from Wahpeton and went to High School in Hankinson.