1. topper

topper New Member

this question should generate a lot of good ideas for the best bbq meat, wild or store bought. i been doing briskets and they are always slighty dry, and i'm looking for something that is not as dry a meat and will yield a good amount of meat and very little wasted fat or bone. briskets almost always need some sauce to go with it and i'm not really a sauce guy, i like the flavor of the meat and not much sauce. pork ribs do good for me and they are always tender, but i'm still searching for the 'perfect' bbq meat. any ideas from you 'expert' bbq guys/gals? thanks.
  2. Texman

Texman New Member

In my years of experience Brisket doesn't barbeue well,, on the other hand,, there is nothing better than slow smoked brisket.. Do NOT get a trimmed one,, leave the fat on it.. now, season the non fat side with your favorite dry seasonings.. turn it over and poke some holes in the fat side,, poke some garlic slices in the holes, a bunch of them. then season the fat side..

outside on your ole smokey slow smoker or similar,, make a slow burning charcoal fire. when the flames die down add some water soaked wood chips for smoke and flavor. I use mesquite when the temp is about 300 or so,, put the foil wrapped meat, FAT SIDE UP on the top rack as far from the fire as possible.. if you have a place, put in a pan of water to add steam and catch drippings late.. Don't open the lid to check it, for at least a couple of hours, ,if needed add wood chips and charcoal in the bottom with out opening the top.

Keep the fire at 250-300 for as many hours as the meat weights. 12 pounds,= 12 hours.. The last hour or so, you can take the foil off and let the smoke really get to the meat and crisp up the outside,, ..

if done correctly the meat will be perfect cooked, moist and will fall apart.

To serve, remove the fat cap and slice the meat and serve with home made pinto beans and cornbread if you got some. onions on the side won't hurt either..

That is the way I have done it for over 20 years and it works. DO NOT get a trimmed brisket
  3. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Pork butt (shoulder), you really need a smoker for great BBQ, I promise you I've never cooked a dry brisket, turkey, chicken or anything else on mine.

I just smear a little mustard on the meat for a binder and apply a liberal amount of rub... Most commercial rubs are pretty good, but I like the one that Bodacious BBQ puts out...If there are only spice lovers eating that portion, I'll add my own "home brew chile powder" to the rub.

Slow smoke @ 250 degrees, until internal temp is around 160 then foil and smoke until internal temp is 180 - 190...Allow to cool before cutting into it in order to obtain a moist piece of meat.

For pulled pork, I like to take the smoked pork straight to the crock pot and cover it real good with BBQ sauce, minced garlic, diced onion and peppers, cayenne pepper, ground thyme, brown sugar and what ever else sounds good and cook it on a low setting for up to 18 hours. Serve on buns with baked beans, mashed potatoes and sweeeet tea! :D

Crpdeth

Attached Files:

4. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

Dang Donny, I just ate way too much Turkey and that still looks great!:D catfish
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Texman, that's the only way to cook it, and it does come out great!