Bearcat size revolver

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by tonygrz, Jun 23, 2009.

1. tonygrz

tonygrz New Member

Does anyone know if any gun maker sells a ruger bearcat size .22 ??? Ruger bearcats are getting rather expensive.

Thanks,

tonygrz
  2. Pastor C

Pastor C New Member

yeah I'd like one too. but who wants to pay $500 FOR HALF A GUN

Taurus makes small revolvers for $380-ish and are 9 shot

I would be interested in what's out there in .22's with ammo as high as it is
  3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

heritage makes a small single action 22 combo 22/22 mag with an extra cylinder and they are priced right. not the quality of a ruger but very functional
  4. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    Pastor, I'm not that familiar with the Bearcat, so what do you mean "Half a gun?" I need educating. The only .22 revolver I have is a '58 S&W mod. 18. TJ
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Teejay, visualize a Colt Single Action Army. Now let it get wet and shrink until it is between 3/4 and 7/8 as big as it was. Now you have a Ruger Single Six. Get that wet and let it shrink until it is about 3/4 as big as it was, and you have the Ruger Bearcat.

This is a Blackhawk on the right (which is about the size of the Colt) and a Bearcat on the left. Notice it is quite a bit smaller.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  6. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    Once again, I've learned something;);). A tip of my hat of my hat to you, Alpo:). I think I'd like that Bearcat:cool: Thanks, TJ
  7. Danwin22

Danwin22 Member

I had a Ruger Super Bearcat back in 1964. It was sure a pretty little thing but too tiny for my hand.

I liked the Colt New Frontier .22 grip because it had a better fit for my hand.

Later on I had a Ruger Single Six and a Super Single Six which were nice too.
  8. tonygrz

tonygrz New Member

I have a Heritage and it's a lot bigger than the bearcat and a lot heavier. Maybe an Iver Johnson small .22. What do you think Bill????

tonygrz
  9. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

wow live and learn. i have never handled a bearcat but have a heritage 22 with a 3.5 in barrel and birds head grip. i just looked up the weight of the heritage 33.5 oz vs the bearcat @ 23 oz
  10. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Yup, if you've got small paws the Bearcat is a wonderful little revolver. Yeah, they're a little pricey now days but I'm glad to see it back in production. The original Bearcat & Super Bearcat (which was a convertible 22lr/22mag model made for only a few years) was made from '58 to '74, but the Bearcat was reintroduced in 2008 for it's 50th anniversary.

Basically, it's a scaled down version of the 1890 Remington. A co-worker has one of each: an original, Super, and New Bearcat plus a NIB, unfired 50th anniversary with the gold trigger guard & cylinder inlays. His wife has laid claim to the original as her "skunk medicine".
    For a kid or someone with really small hands it's a great little shooter. I've got pretty skinny fingers but I find the Bearcat grip is still a bit too small for extended use.
    Even being all steel, it's so light that you can pack it around all day and barely notice it's there though.
  11. Claude Clay

Claude Clay New Member

[​IMG]

Alpo said it well.
    heres a picture of 2 bearcats flanking a single-six 32 h&r and a vaquero 45lc

i wanted a 50th anniv to go with my 1st year [the one on the left] but $550 for a whim is too much. $400 for 'normal' production is value for money as these are finely put together working pieces of art. and they shoot very accurately once you find the ammo they like.
  12. Pastor C

Pastor C New Member

After holding the Bearcat for about ten minutes, it hurts my middle finger because there's hardly any room between the trigger guard and the grip. And I have small-ish hands..
    would I like to have one? yeah , but... pay $500 for one , ouch I'd rather have a P95 9mm Ruger for $400
  13. Pastor C

Pastor C New Member

Or a Beretta Bobcat (.22) that shoots single and double action , 7 (or so) shots , and fits in your pocket where a bearcat is a little long and sells around $400
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  14. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Well, I guess people's preferences are their own, but what you said doesn't really make sense.

Kinda like saying, "I test drove a Volkswagon, but did not like it. I'd rather have an Indy car, or a Land Rover." They are all internal combustion automobiles, but they are used for totally different things. I suppose you could race the VW (Herbie did all right) or drive it back in the boonies.

Large 9mm police/self-defense holster automatic, vs .22 "get off me" pocket gun, vs small .22 plinking/camping holster revolver.
  15. Danwin22

Danwin22 Member

Alpo, I know what he means.

Sometimes something catches our eye and we quickly buy it Later on we find out it isn't really what we are comfortable with.

A good case for me is cars. You go to a car dealer and he lets you drive a mile on roads with a 50mph limit or less. Some cars seem very quick up to about 60 and then fall off the power band quickly after that.

I like to rent a car for a weekend to see if I really like it before buying one.

For me the Ruger Bearcat .22 was one of those occasions. I loved the brass color trigger guard and overall cuteness of it and it seemed fine looking it over at the gun dealer. Once I handled it for a while it was just too small for my hand. It's still a fine little weapon and highly collectible but I need a slightly larger frame for shooting. I guess I'm defective, not the gun.
  16. flyingcubby

flyingcubby New Member

E.A.A. has their bounty hunter series in a .22
  17. tonygrz

tonygrz New Member

thanks for the input flyingcubby, but the bounty hunter is a littly heavier than I was looking for. The eea weighs over 40 ozs.

tonygrz
  18. jrg

jrg New Member

The Heritage Birds head gripped is smaller than a Bearcat, but heavier. Convertible as well, if that floats your boat - I'm a .22 Magnum fan myself.

[​IMG]

If you like small .22 revolvers, this one might be a pick - but check it out first before you buy, some do not care for the Heritage 'lesser' looks.
  19. Danwin22

Danwin22 Member

It appears to have a painted frame. I guess that wouldn't be too bad on a knock-around gun if the paint is durable enough.

It does have a tricky look.
  20. jrg

jrg New Member

Yes sir, painted frame (if you are refering to Heritage - but to a knockabout pistol, really doesn't count for much.