Beat that horse

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Gawain, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Gawain

Gawain New Member

I read all the post in this forum about the buck master versus the Mark III. Sorry about beating that dead horse one more time.

I'm still undecided but leaning towards the ruger. UNTIL I saw a used buck master in what looked to be perfect condition and it had an octagon barrel. The gun shop has the pistol on consignment for $299. Since it looks to be in perfect condition, I couldn't find a scratch. Would I be better off with an older buck master with the octagon bull barrel.. or not? When did Browning stop producing the octagon bull barrel.. or do they still make such a thing. I googled "browning buck master octagon barrel" and really didn't get many hits. Couldn't find one for sale at all.

Thanks all...... this is an awesome forum......

Gawain

ps. maybe it isn't octagon.. but it sure isn't round.... ; )
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  2. fordtrucksforever

fordtrucksforever New Member

I dont know what a Buckmaster is but I have both the Ruger Mark III and Browning Buckmark. My personal preference is the Browning. The Buckmark replaced Challenger model and been in production since 1985. Many Buckmarks have round barrels that are cut flat on both sides. Is this what you might be thinking? Both pistols are excellent quality and good shooting. Either are worth considering. It basically is up to what suits you the best. If I were in the market for another Ruger, a stainless 45/22 model would be my choice there.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  3. Gawain

Gawain New Member

Thanks FTF. Thanks for setting me straight. Ive owned a lot of firearms but never a 22 pistol. Oh, my daily driver is a 2005 Ford 6.0 l diesel F250.

Cheers, Gawain
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  4. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Both guns are great, but I prefer the buckmark. It just fits me better and I like the flat sided slide instead of the ruger style. Bottom line, if you find a good deal on either, you wont be disappointed. If you find out that you like the other better later, well, that's just another reason to get another gun. :D
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

There are several ways to buy your first 22 pistol. The common way is to find a cheap one only to find after using it for awhile that it is not exactly what you need. Manufacturers know this so they produce a cheapy version with a few short cuts to get the costs down, like plastic sights, plastic trigger guards, and other parts made of plastic or pot metal that look just like really good parts.

My advice is to first determine your needs, such as Plinking, paper punching, competition, hunting. Buy only the model that fits those needs, remembering that if you pay a bit more you will get a better gun. Plastic is just OK for frames but steel or aluminum is better. Pot metal (Zinc alloy) is a no-no as it has no longevity and wears rapidly.

In both the Buckmark and Ruger MK series line of guns there are bottom feeders, competition versions, and models in between and the prices vary greatly. In both thef Buckmark and Ruger MK series you get what you pay for. The better more expensive models are definitely better in terms of potential accuracy, better triggers, better sights, and better durability. Buy whatever you want but don't buy "cheap". Buy what fits your needs and desires. A cheapy gun that does not meet your needs is a total waste of money if it sits silent.

Do some research and get the gun exactly for your needs. Price is not everything.

LDBennett
  6. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 Member

+1 to ld Bennett's post. I've owned both and found the differences between to be more of preferences. I still have a challenger and the buckmark but lost the Ruger to a break in. For myself I picked up one of each at the shop and all. Others being equal went with the buckmark because of the comfort feel for my hands. My buddy who was also purchasing went with the Ruger for the same reasons. We shoot several times A month and are always one or two points apart from each other. Neither can shoot the others pistol as well.
    Good luck on your choice and hope this helps

Curlyjoe
  7. pea shooter

pea shooter New Member

I have a buckmark ss camper that I put a 7.25" trail lite on very nice gun.but the ruger I also a very good gun. I would chose the one that feels the best in your hand. I dont think you can go wrong with either