Beatin' A Dead Horse...

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Slimslam, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Slimslam

Slimslam New Member

Mossberg or Remington? The more I research, the more opinions I get, the more indecisive I get. Some folks swear by a Mossberg or a Remington while others swear at them. IF I were to buy a 12 ga for skeet shooting and home defense purposes, should it be a Mossy or a Remy? I found a used Mossberg Model 88 for $245, a used Mossy Maverick for $225, and a used (fully rifled) Remington 870 for $275.
    SS
  2. warpig

warpig Guest

It does not matter between the two. Get the one that fits you the best.
  3. skiingfool1974

skiingfool1974 New Member

They both make good shotguns, so the choice falls down to which one feels better for you. I have an 870 that I love, but friends have the 88 that they love as well.

Oh wait, if you are using it for home defense and skeet, you want a smooth bore, not rifled like the 870 you found. If the only 870 you can find has a rifled barrel, then you'd need to replace the barrel (not that cheap).

Evan
  4. Boomatic

Boomatic New Member

Home defense and skeet is a tough dual purpose to meet, IMO. I prefer a home defense gun to be short barreled (18") & hi cap. For skeet, 26" is preferrable. I guess a 26", although not as maneuverable, would work. My only advice would be to stay away from the lower level, economy models (express, etc.) While some are fine, others are not. The consistency is better in the standard and up models.

Of course...just my opinion.
  5. Dagger

Dagger New Member

i just got a brand new mossy maverick 88 for 225$

it feels real nice, has good balance, i like it. i was also looking at a Rem. also felt great, so i would say pick the one you like best and go with it.
  6. WyomingSwede

WyomingSwede Guest

I have a maverick 88 that I cant seem to wear out...but I favor a couple of 870's also. Like you said...go with the one that fits you best.

But remember two things:

1) There's always room for one more...

2) They dont eat...

swede
  7. warpig

warpig Guest

Swede, you should join a couple sporting clay teams and hunt doves,pheasant,duck,goose and grouse.:)

A guy can go broke feeding a shotgun:):)

:)
  8. WyomingSwede

WyomingSwede Guest

I meant they dont eat hay or have to be let out in the middle of the night.

They dont talk back either.

Mine do eat a lot...but I reload.

Fred...you are inciting a lot of history with that last remark.

swede
  9. warpig

warpig Guest

I reload also Swede. Got my sporting clay loads down to around $2.50 a box. My magnum pheasant loads are costing me $3.50 a box to reload.

I have a Mec Grabber for my main 12 ga loader and 3 Lee Loadalls for 12 ga specialty loads and 20 ga. Also another Mec for 16ga.

Gary's in SF is the cheapest on reloading components in eastern SD.

3 Lees in NE is cheapest on primers though. $1.80 per 100 when bought in bulk. Me and some other guys split up big orders to get this price.

Get all my hulls for free. I have 5 or 6 50 lb dog food bags full of hulls:D
  10. WyomingSwede

WyomingSwede Guest

I need to get down to Garys in the next couple months...I am low on shotgun stuff. I use two mecc loaders, have never messed with a Lee loadall...seemed too plasticcy...do they hold up??

Have you tried reloading any of the new tungsten/plastic or other speciaty shot? Is the price higher than a moose's arse??

They want a war price for five rounds of that stuff. For that kind of money I can stick with steel and let them in close.

swede
  11. warpig

warpig Guest

I want to get started loading hevi-shot. All the non tox is spendy. I have been buying some hevi-shot for geese so I do need to start reloading it to save some $$$. My Dad wants to load steel. He bought the steel kit for the Grabber to do it. I won't let him convert the Grabber cause I like to leave it set up for the large amounts of sporting clay loads I do. It would be a pain to be sonstantly changing it over.Thinking about buying a Mec Steelmaster.

The first couple years I was doing it I did it all with the Lee Loadalls. They are very SLOW. My Lees don't have the primer feed. I was doing a box an hour that way.:( When I got the Mec Grabber I went up to 10 boxs a hour:D

The Lees hold up good enough. I have loaded thousands and thousands in just one of mine. They are a good cheap way to get started. I leave my Mec set up for the sporting clay loads and use the Lees for short runs of other loads. For instance I load some spreader loads that use the disk insert and that would be hard to do with the Mec.

The Lees are good for hand loads and experimenting.:(
  12. WyomingSwede

WyomingSwede Guest

Thanks piggy. Let me know when you get your hevi-shot priced out. We could get some large orders on it. I need an excuse to head to Yankton anyway.
    I have the Mecc with the steel conversion. Never had any problems with Meccs.

swede
  13. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan New Member

Moss vs Rem

I own several Remingtons, 870's and an 11-87. I also own a couple Ithicas.

Just the other day Walmart put a couple Mossberg full camo turkey guns on sale for $214 and I was gettting tired of being ribbed about how great they were and half the price of my Remingtons so I bought one.

Well I've been doing some head to head testing of these guns and the all the chokes I have for them. I'm not even done yet and I can tell you I'll never buy another Mossberg at any price.
  14. warpig

warpig Guest

I feel your pain with the Mossberg Jack.

I know a guy who actually threw his off a bridge.
  15. Boomatic

Boomatic New Member

I want to go to Yankton just to see the drive up beer joint!
  16. WyomingSwede

WyomingSwede Guest

Sometimes they have a hot looking chick at the drive up window...sometimes the more you drink the better she looks too.

swede ( former Yankton resident)
  17. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan New Member

Re: re

First off, I went through all the ones they had looking for one that didn't rattle. Guess what one frigging shot produced before I even looked at the pattern?

Click click rattle rattle, lay it down and go look at the paper. At 25 yards what they are advertising as a turkey gun has a pattern tow or three times the size as my remington. Oh yeah and about 4 inches to the left.

With out a hand on the slide each shot just about cycles the action for ya.

Oh well live and learn. Guess there's a good reason it's already drilled and tapped for a scope. They know it doesn't shoot straight and yer gonna need it before they take your money for the POS.
  18. warpig

warpig Guest

I haven't been to the Ice House in a few years. The tradition there is to sit in the car and drink your beers and then throw the emptys at the dock and break it. Pull up in your car and they come out and take your order. If you order a 6 pack they bring you a box with 6 bottles and a few scoops of ice, drink them and throw the bottles out the window under the dock. You can also sit on the dock and drink.

The building is located next to the river and it started out as a actual ICE house when they used to get blocks of river ice to cool food all summer. The dock in front was where they backed in the horse drewn wagons to unload the river ice in the winter to and unload it in the summer to deliver.

Supposed to be the only drive up bar left in the US. It is grandfathered in as long as the same family keeps the beer license in their name. I used to work with the owners son and he is not keen on taking it over so a generations old tradition/business might come to an end when Don dies.

There is a sizeable group of do gooders in Yankton who want the place outlawed.

Nothing like a HOT august day and sitting on the dock watching the river and the 100 year old cottonwood trees with a ice cold bottle.
  19. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Hey! Hey! Hey!...

...being the serious type fella, that I am. I thought I'd come in to get the topic back on track... ;) ...anyhoo...for self defense ya fold, and for skeet ya open...S&W 3000...:cool: ...

[​IMG]

course a cold one don't sound to bad either, maybe later...:)
  20. Slimslam

Slimslam New Member

Browning?

OK, I'm considering a Mossberg 590 12 ga and Browning BPS 12 ga both with 18" bbl. The Mossberg is $315 new at Dicks and the Browning is a few years old but never fired for $325.
    Should I toss a coin or is it a no brainer? (like me)
    SS