1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Beatin' A Dead Horse...

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Slimslam, Mar 25, 2003.

1. WyomingSwede

WyomingSwede Guest

Sometimes they have a hot looking chick at the drive up window...sometimes the more you drink the better she looks too.

swede ( former Yankton resident)
  2. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan New Member

Re: re

First off, I went through all the ones they had looking for one that didn't rattle. Guess what one frigging shot produced before I even looked at the pattern?

Click click rattle rattle, lay it down and go look at the paper. At 25 yards what they are advertising as a turkey gun has a pattern tow or three times the size as my remington. Oh yeah and about 4 inches to the left.

With out a hand on the slide each shot just about cycles the action for ya.

Oh well live and learn. Guess there's a good reason it's already drilled and tapped for a scope. They know it doesn't shoot straight and yer gonna need it before they take your money for the POS.
  3. warpig

warpig Guest

I haven't been to the Ice House in a few years. The tradition there is to sit in the car and drink your beers and then throw the emptys at the dock and break it. Pull up in your car and they come out and take your order. If you order a 6 pack they bring you a box with 6 bottles and a few scoops of ice, drink them and throw the bottles out the window under the dock. You can also sit on the dock and drink.

The building is located next to the river and it started out as a actual ICE house when they used to get blocks of river ice to cool food all summer. The dock in front was where they backed in the horse drewn wagons to unload the river ice in the winter to and unload it in the summer to deliver.

Supposed to be the only drive up bar left in the US. It is grandfathered in as long as the same family keeps the beer license in their name. I used to work with the owners son and he is not keen on taking it over so a generations old tradition/business might come to an end when Don dies.

There is a sizeable group of do gooders in Yankton who want the place outlawed.

Nothing like a HOT august day and sitting on the dock watching the river and the 100 year old cottonwood trees with a ice cold bottle.
  4. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Hey! Hey! Hey!...

...being the serious type fella, that I am. I thought I'd come in to get the topic back on track... ;) ...anyhoo...for self defense ya fold, and for skeet ya open...S&W 3000...:cool: ...

[​IMG]

course a cold one don't sound to bad either, maybe later...:)
  5. Slimslam

Slimslam New Member

Browning?

OK, I'm considering a Mossberg 590 12 ga and Browning BPS 12 ga both with 18" bbl. The Mossberg is $315 new at Dicks and the Browning is a few years old but never fired for $325.
    Should I toss a coin or is it a no brainer? (like me)
    SS
  6. warpig

warpig Guest

no brainer

get the Browning
  7. Slimslam

Slimslam New Member

Browning

warpig,
    thanks....i'm gonna go look at it this week....
    SS
  8. Slimslam

Slimslam New Member

Well, my wife is fully aware (finally) of my desire to take up the new hobby of sport shooting, including trap, skeet and clays. Much to my surprise, she doesn't have a problem with it except one teensy weensy problem: She responds, "I just don't want a gun in the house" ....so I begin my second leg of the journey (uphill of course). I said, "Honey, it's true I can rent guns for sport shooting, but that gets expensive over time." I reassured her that having a firearm or two in the house will be OK. Heck I even insisted that she come with me to shoot. She's thinking about it. She is worried about our two boys (12 & 16). I immediately explained to her that I intend and insist that they both enroll in a hunters safety course first. She agrees with that but is still nervous about having a firearm in the house. [insert advice here]

Now, while I'm allaying her "gun-in-the-home" fears, I'm also actively looking for a used 12ga, preferably an O/U. Much to my dismay, O/U are at least double my budget and very hard to find. I shot a Browning 12 ga O/U a couple of weeks ago....very nice. [insert advice here]

Geez, I began this journey thinking I was going to get a 12 ga pump for home defense only. After shooting trap and sporting clays, I'm hooked. Thanks for the great advice and insightful posts these past several months. If I can only find a shotgun...
    SS
  9. warpig

warpig Guest

I would have your wife attend the firearms safety course along with your boys.
  10. Slimslam

Slimslam New Member

I've got a line on a Remington 11-87 12 ga. for $450, virtually new. Good price?
    SS
  11. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Hey, SS! Sounds like you've made real progress since the last time we talked. Keep working at it!

[​IMG]
  12. crazyarcher

crazyarcher New Member

Probably hunting fishing or snowbaording(or wishin
    It's addictive

SS, it seems that no one had warned you about how addictive buying firearms can be. I have found that they are worse than tatoos. I have more of each than I would have ever imagined. Although to my mother's great joy I have more guns than tatoos.

I currently own several( I don't have enough fingers and toes) different shotguns, including a few Mossbergs. My model 500 in 20 ga. will always hold a special place in my heart because it was my first repeating shotgun. It took a butt- load of abuse being carried on Arizona quail hunts by a clumsy teenager, and I still bring it out at least once a season(I've had it for 17 years) just to give it a work out and I can still knock down birds with it.

Don't give up hope on your search for an O/U. Talk with everyone you know and see if you can find one used. I was talking to a guy I work with that doesn't shoot and when I mentioned that I did he said he had a Browning Citori that he hadn't shot in years and gave me a screamin' deal on it.

The Citori was my favorite shotgun for about 4 months until I found a Franchi LAW 12, trigger and action work already done, ambidextrous sling and Trijicon ghost ring sight. I have shot clays with it, and with 9 rounds available I hit most of them(even if it does take 2 or 3 shots).

I tried to attach a picture of the Franchi but was told it was too large,CA:mad:
  13. Slimslam

Slimslam New Member

crazyarcher,
    Truly addicting.....still saving for a used O/U. Looked at a used Ruger Red Label 12 ga Sporting Clay for $889. Also, a Weatherby O/U 12 ga for $889. Should be soon.....
    SS
  14. AceofSpades

AceofSpades New Member

my friend has a 30-year-old mossberg 20ga pump, was shot for most of thoe 30 years, still works like a charm though
  15. Cow Caregiver

Cow Caregiver New Member

Mossberg versus Remington

Basically, if you are going to pack the thing in hand, you want the Mossberg. If you are riding, the Remington is the way to go. If you don't mind recoil, get the Mossy, if kick bothers you, get the Remington.

If you plan on shooting it, get the Mossy. If you plan on using it for a club in close quarters, the Remington is much sturdier. I have been there and done that, and my choice these days is an outside hammer double, in 20 gauge.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2003