Because The Bible Tells Me So .....

Discussion in 'The Pump House Saloon' started by JohnHenry, Nov 28, 2012.

1. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

Laura Schlessinger is a U.S. radio personality, who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show. On her radio show recently, she said that, as an observant Jew, homosexuality is an abomination, according to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstances. The following response is an open letter to Dr. Laura Schlessinger, penned by a resident of the U.S., which was posted on the Internet:

Dear Dr. Laura:
    Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can.

When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination …. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Law and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not to Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I possess Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Leviticus 15:10-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as I sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Leviticus 1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states that he should be put to death. Am I morally obliged to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination according to Leviticus 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination, and if yes, how many?

7. Leviticus 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?

8. Most of my friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though that is expressively forbidden by Leviticus 19:27. How should they be put to death?

9. I know from Leviticus 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean. May I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Leviticus 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go through all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone him as Leviticus 24:10-16 commands us to do? Couldn't we just burn them to death as a private family affair, like we do it with people who sleep with their own in-laws (Leviticus 20:14)?

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I'm confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's Word is eternal and unchanging.

Your adoring fan
    Homer Simpson-Caldwell Jun.
  2. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Isn't it wonderful that the homosexual (as well as the rest of us), now have a way to avoid the ramifications of having to live under the "law of Moses"?

The saving grace of Jesus the "Messiah", now justifies all of those that accept HIS sacrifice & provision of salvation. Sin is still sin! But, we now have available the provision of FAITH & the power of the Holy Spirit to live a life that will overcome ALL sin. (Including, but not limited to the "sin" of homosexuality.)

-
  3. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

Those who say the believe in the bible are free to do so. Just as those who do not are free not to this is the very foundation of your country.
  4. Carne Frio

Carne Frio Member

[​IMG]
    and the flipside:
    [​IMG]
    Only you can decide if you are going to H*** or it doesn't exist.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  5. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

It's odd to me that people would be so quick to attack the religious beliefs of those on the right but remain quiet about Muslims lining Homosexuals up against a wall and using them for target practice, which happened in the last month. :eek:
  6. Popeye

Popeye New Member

Religion. Politics.

Two good ways to start a fight.
  7. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

Greetings from Rocklin Popeye, are you staying dry?? :D

I agree with what you say here, I TRY and stay out of both discussion's, unless it's on the Religion forum here, things stay civil there, as they should, but in general, a real quick way to get something started, especially on the internet, people are mighty brave while at the keyboard in their bunny slippers and safety of home, I have to catch myself sometime too, and think, would I say this face to face to someone? before I type,

I learned the same thing in business, if you get an email that ticks you off, and write a reply right away while you are still hot, stop, go outside, have a smoke, or go for a short walk and then come back and read what you were just about to send, 99% of the time you won't send it, not without some editing anyway,
  8. Popeye

Popeye New Member

Here in Antelope its wet outside but dry inside.

I have found that 'True Believers' be they of any religious, or of any political, persuasion tend to exhibit a stunted sense of humor and a limited ability to think independently.

Just sayin'.
  9. BillM

BillM Active Member

Stolen from somewhere else:

"Leviticus 18:22 Tells us that if a man lies with a man he
    should be stoned"

"That explains pretty well why the states that are trying to
    legalize gay marriage are also trying to legalize pot."
  10. tcox4freedom

LOL!
  11. red14

red14 Active Member

I avoid both as much as I can.

The Bible does have some interesting turns. Some people
    go to a Seminary school for many years to learn the Bible.
    I am only a layman, but I have found many verses against
    homosexuality, not just one or two. Some are in the Old
    Testament, and some in the New Testament.

I will not debate this matter, as I have made up my mind,
    My beliefs and deeds (like everyone else) will be judged
    one day.
  12. tcox4freedom

plus 1
  13. nstoolman1

nstoolman1 Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by red14
    I avoid both as much as I can.

The Bible does have some interesting turns. Some people
    go to a Seminary school for many years to learn the Bible.
    I am only a layman, but I have found many verses against
    homosexuality, not just one or two. Some are in the Old
    Testament, and some in the New Testament.

I will not debate this matter, as I have made up my mind,
    My beliefs and deeds (like everyone else) will be judged
    one day.

My plus 1
  14. Archie

Archie Member

And the atheist says he knows better than God. Oh?

The letter to Dr. Schlessinger is full of nonsense and partial truths. Like the part about owning slaves.

If the writer of that missive had any real knowledge, he would know the Mosiac law did not endorse 'slavery'. It gave guidelines for what is now called 'indentured servitude'; a contractual state of limited duration. Neither the nation of Israel nor the Mosaic Law invented slavery; slavery existed prior to both.

Oddly enough, all the anti-slavery groups in history and that is ALL of them, have been largely founded, operated and financed by Christians. There have never been or are now anti-slavery groups founded by atheists. For the record, the only slavery extant in the world is run by Muslims - apart from the sexual slavery organizations operated by functional atheists.

The writer of the letter seems to lack the understanding the United States is not historical Israel, or a Sharia law country where slavery is legal. He could own slaves - possibly Canadians - if he were to relocate to a Muslim country. Somalia, perhaps.

I could go on, but it would be tedious. What I've shown so far is enough to make the point; people who think the Bible is in error simply don't have enough information to judge. They lack both facts and understanding of the facts.
  15. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

You have it partially correct, if you would have left it at "Dr. Schlessinger is full of nonsense and partial truths", it would have been correct,

Who would listen to this hag, much less take "family relationship" advice from her?? She's a racist, and a hack, talks about her parents as if they were the worst people ever, and didn't even speak to her mother the last 15+ years of here life, ya, that's the person I need to take "family" advice from, she's a hack, ya maybe she has a certificate on the wall that says she's a Dr., but she's still a hack, and be-little's people more often than giving any worthy advice.