1. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Any ideas on how to cook?
  2. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Active Member

3. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Thanks tim, but I was looking for something other than boiled.

Is there anything else that can be done? I know tongue is tough and has little fat content, so BBQ/smoking is prolly outta the question. :(

Any other ideas peeps?
  4. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

5. muddober

muddober Active Member

I cook beef tongue all the time and a pressure cooker is best. The other way is a crock pot but it takes hours. I have never had good luck boiling one. I usually cut up one onion and one apple. I add one table spoon of salt and about a tea spoon of black pepper. I had enough water just to cover the meat and cook it at high pressure for about and hour and a half. I let it cool on the stove until all the pressure is gone which takes about 30 minutes. I then skin it which is real easy to do if cook right. I then split it length ways and remove all the big viens and fatty tissue. I the cut it into large bite size pieces and add it to my chile or spaghetti sauce. If you do it like that it is the most tender and moist meat could ever eat. The real key is the deviening and getting rid of the fatty tissue.

Ron
  6. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I am not sure how to cook it, but it is great on taco's.
  7. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Growing up, nothing went to waste on a butcher cant remember
    how mom done those, but that sounds and looks real familiar
    Ron.
  8. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

This electrican I worked with who also was a farmer tried to get me to try it years back....I passed. (not out, lol)

Maybe if I didn't know what it was?

What does it taste like...and don't say chicken.
  9. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Like a chicken with frog legs and a snakes head. When somebody says best sandwich I think of cold sliced tongue, on pumpernickel bread sliced Bermuda onion and a good mustard, not the yellow crap you see on the grocery store shelf.

Drop it in a pot of water doing a hard boil for a few minutes then peel the skin off and put it in the oven just like you would for a roast beef. That's how I usually do mine. I also do it in a crock pot by itself or I will scald it as above, peel it then chop it up and put it in the crock pot with beans instead of ham. Whichever way I do half always gets set to one side for refrigeration so I can have tongue for sandwiches.
  10. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Grump, how does it peel after scalding? I've only boiled them in the past (3-4 hrs on slow boil) and the skin comes right off. The meat is pretty much mush at that point. :( It's good, but not good fer much. :eek:

I like yer idea if the skin comes off easily, but I don't wanna stand over the cutting board fer an hour.
  11. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

beef tongue:lmao2::yikes:
  12. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

are u buying it at a store?
  13. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It tastes like,,, a,,, a,,, oh ya, the other white meat, Ya, that's it. :lmao2: On tacos it tastes incredible.
  14. muddober

muddober Active Member

Yes Beth, most stores in areas that have a lot of Mexican or Basque customers are most lilkely to carry it. Here in Northern Nevada where I live we have both.

Also it does not look or tast like chicken, rather it takes like beef and is very tender. If you were to eat my chile you would think you were eating chunks of felit mignon along with the ground beef I put in my chile.

Years ago there was a Basque eatery that always had on Saturdays what they advertised as beef stew. My neighbor loved to go there with me almost every Saturday. This went on for about a year and one night some patron asked for some more tongue stew. My neighbor never went back with me. I don't get it, she will not eat something that comes out of a cows mouth but she will eat eggs that come out of a chickens butt.

Ron
  15. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Peeled quite easily actually and the meat was starting to cook but not to the point where it gets soft on me. The whole point is to have a nice firm tongue for slicing after its been cooled. Trial and error for the time it takes, hard to explain but you get to where you can tell by looking at it when to make that slice and pull back the skin.