Beer, nectar of the gods

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pistolenschutze, Mar 21, 2007.

1. After, repeat, after, a nice day at the range, especially in the summertime, nothing tastes better to me than a good cold beer (or two, or three, or . . . :p ). Now, while I know most of you out there in TFF land are good, upstanding prohibitionists (yeah, right, like most firearms afficinados and hunters :rolleyes: ), surely at least a few of you have, at some time or other--perhaps in the days of your misspent youths--partaken of this nectar of the gods and have formed an opinion about what's good and what's bad. Personally, I classify beer into three basic categories: Outstanding, Tolerable, and "Put It Back In The Sick Horse It Came Out Of." Here's my list for the three categories. What's yours?

Outstanding
    The German beers: Beck's, Krombacher, Veltins, Warsteiner, and Bitburger. I'm especially fond of the Dunkles Bock and Doppelbock styles, but a good German Pilsner or Helles hits the spot too.

Tolerable
    A few (very few!) American beers: Sam Adams, a few of the micro brews like Fat Tire. American-brewed Heineken (the stuff in Holland is much better) is fairly decent.

"Put It Back In The Sick Horse It Came Out Of."
    Coors (AKA "Colorado Kool Aid), American Budweiser (AKA "Buttwiper), Miller Low Life, and the absolutely WORST beer ever brewed on planet Earth, Texas Lone Star! :D
  2. johnston3407

johnston3407 New Member

My favorites are Mexican, Dos X's, Modelo Negro and Pacifico.
  3. charagrin

charagrin Former Guest

Ive only ever tried beer once and it was bitter and nasty.
  4. bluemonkey11b

bluemonkey11b New Member

guiness especially with some bailey's aka carbomb, newcastle brown ale, sam adams, kristalwissen, corona, and hornsbys mmmmm gettin drunk on apple juice
  5. cec

cec New Member

Back before I became too good at the whole drinking thing (ie I was a semi-pro and decided to not proceed to professional status), here was my list:

Outstanding
    The German beers, have to agree here. I also was a Corona and Catamount (VT micro-brew).

Tolerable
    Miller Genuine Draft (bottle only), Rolling Rock (and most of the Lablatt line).

"Put It Back In The Sick Horse It Came Out Of."
    American Budweiser, Keystone, Schlitz, and St Paulie Girl.
  6. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

I must be a lighweight, Pistol. Our beer scores are far apart...

Outstanding: Fosters, Harp, Budweiser, Coors, Kalick, St. Pauli Girl, Corona, Bud Ice, Bass, Peroni, Sapporo, Hamm's, Miller Genuine Draft, Watney's Red Barrell, Old Speckled Hen, Stella Artois, Sam Adams, Yeungling, Murphy's Amber, Presidente

Tolerable: Schlitz, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Old Milwaukee, Becks, Dos X's, Michelob, Heineken, LaBatt's Blue, Moosehead, Budweiser Select, Natural Ice

Sewer Water: Stroh's, Keystone, Meister Brau, Fischer's, Coor Light, Miller Lite, Billy Beer, Busch, Colt 45, Iron City, Red White and Blue Beer
  7. hoser1

hoser1 New Member

I've never been much of a beer drinker but the last time I was up in Philly, I drank some local stuff that was pretty damn good but forgot the name of it.
    That's also the first time I tried hummus. That was pretty damn good too.
    Sounds like a fungus but is some kind of garlic stuff.
  8. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Outstanding, The Pyamid Brand, Sierra Nevada, Guiness, Becks

Decent, Dos Equis, Modelo Negro, Sam Adams

Mix w/ Tomato Juice to wash the Dog after a skunk attack, Stroh's ( Detroit River Water ) PBR, Bud, Miller, Coors,

Hoser 1, FYI, Hummus is made from Garbonzo beans & Spices. Good Stuff!
  9. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

It doesn't get any better, believe me. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)
  10. White Hawk

White Hawk New Member

That wasn't beer, that was something known as "Budweiser". :D Or maybe "Coors", but not many have survived to tell that tale...

Wintertime: Newcastle, Killians.

Spring, fall: Killians, Shiner Bock.

Summer: Shiner Bock.

Now if y'all wanna talk about single-malt whiskeys... ;)

"Ale. Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Ben Franklin.
  11. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

Depends on the mood I'm in; but, I'll lead the strays back to the religion. Good beer tends to fit into three groups dunkel, weizbeer and pilsen. Under normal circumstances if your beer doesn't fit in one of those categories I feel sorry for you. If you find yourself cuddled up next to a Coors keg one morning and have to chew your arm off, I told you so.
  12. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

Well Pistol, Being that I am a retired U.S. Navy guy. I may never have participated in the nectars. You know. To busy working on the orphanage roof and all that. However should I have fallen off the wagon I am somewhat particular. My favorite is COLD. Period, just plain cold. catfish :D :D
  13. berto64

berto64 Active Member

St Pauli Girl and Guiness. Both from the tap. Botttled or canned gives me a headache immediately.

Of course I've been sober for 19 yrs but I remember the luxurious flavor of those two brews.
  14. Hmmm, a squid eh? :rolleyes: Rumor has it that squids don't drink beer at all, Cat . . . since the funnel was invented a long time ago. We Army guys, of course, are noted for being absolute teetotalers and for attending Baptist services every Sunday. ;) :D :p

Guiness?????? Ye gods man, no wonder you went on the wagon! ;) Dirty crankcase oil with a little grain alcohol added is a good description of Guiness IMHO. :cool:

Seriously, Berto, Guiness is one I never could even manage to choke down, even though, surprisingly enough, I love the dark, heavy German beers.

Two to add to "World's Worst Beers": 33 and Tiger Beer, circa 1969. :D
  15. berto64

berto64 Active Member

I definitely agree with that choice! 69-71.
  16. ssuttle13

ssuttle13 New Member

I prefer my own home brewed beer, adjutment to the recipees are easy and you can please your own taste!! and have the satisfaction of your prowedness, and no one knows what you drink!!
  17. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

i know better than to get into a beer pissin match..... :p ;) :D

so i'll just state that i enjoy a good beer.;) :p :D :cool:
  18. gunfreakboy

gunfreakboy New Member

What, nobody ever had Genesee or Genesee cream ale aka Genny screamers?
  19. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

If I have a beer, which is seldom, I prefer a heavy dark German boch beer.

Domestically, I drink almost exclusively AmberBock.

Back during the twenty years I lived in Montgomery, my favorite place was the Officers Club at Gunter AFS since they had a terrific German dark on draft. Couldn't resist beer in those days !!!!!
  20. bluemonkey11b

bluemonkey11b New Member

Yeungling?