1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Before TeT

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Guest, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Mithrandir
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/8/01 12:26:05 pm)
    | Del All Before TeT
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Before TeT… our Air Force relied on weather information from several sources…..

We did not have satellites in those days. so weather was gleaned the old fashioned way…..the hard way…

One of our sources… was the enemy themselves….. the Hyphong & Hanoi areas had two very good weather stations at them and they produced very good weather information……

But it wasn’t supposed to be for us…..

And then…… some Russian advisor ruined it all… they told them that we could hear them…..

You see…. there were no phone line system in NVN and the only way to get information to remote stations was to broadcast it…. by Morse code……

THAT is why we could hear them…. they did not even have a good encryption system…..

Soooo.. we heard and knew everything…. and the weather over those targets was very important…..I will not go into that detail here… you zoomies know what I mean…..

Now… here is where we had the Nok Nom thrown in our face….when TeT started… those transmitters went silent…..

Went Silent… as in gone,…. dead… nada….. gone south….

So while we were on the ground getting hit… and hitting back… Hyphong & Hanoi were being spared a retaliatory strike… because….. WE did not know what the weather over the target was like… Oh… I am sure we had SOME idea… but it was not enough to hit at them HARD!!

About the middle of March… I had been assigned to scan a particular range of frequencies… ones that normally held no real value but there were noises on it and they wanted it looked at….I had been given “this honor” as.... well.... I won't go into that now...(I had a real shit head for a trick chief then.. you know… a “garrison trooper”)…..

Long about one or two in morning… I came across this really neat signal….. AN FSK (a Frequency Shift Key)… Geee…. I haven’t heard one of those since Vint Hill (VA)!!….

And then it hits me….”wait a minute… that’s a Soviet transmitter and that is a Soviet weather & air traffic format!!!!”

“Hey Tom…. turn to xxxMhz and listen to this….”

He does.. and says “Shit… that’s….”

“I know”……

So now, Tom and I are really tearing into this and are getting some really good signal here……we use to enjoy it.. we were both at VH farms and did them same stuff ( sorry…. no details here)…

I call in the other trick chief (I really disliked talking to OUR trick chief)…. and told him that we have Soviet transmitters doing weather and air traffic on a NVN frequencies….

HE FRIKKIN’ PANICS!!!!

He gets the traffic analysts to bring in a recording device to take this stuff down…..they are looking over our shoulders and taking it all in... they are ESTATIC!!!

We stop when the machine kicks in and give the analysts the papers……

The Soviets had given the NVN new transmitters alright… and they had changed their freqs and such ….but they did not change their mode of operation and some of us at this station were…….. Russian Air Traffic analysts!!!!….. and Soviet transmitter DF’d in a NVN area is like putting a strobe light on top of the target and pretending that “Neener neener neener, you can’t see me!!”

Two days later…… we begin bombing both targets and beating them like a drum….

WE HAVE THE WEATHER…..

They get steel…….

out….

Edited by: Mithrandir at: 6/8/01 1:27:58 pm