Begin Vent

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladimir, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Got too long...

In sum... I am just frustrated because I am back doing what I did in high-school, which is not only annoying after paying for that college education, but extra frustrating since it is actually a step backwards from the work I have been doing the past 5-6 years for the concrete company (which is overstaffed at the moment). I just want to work WITH, let alone FOR responsible, and dependable individuals!

I may need to pay a visit to the recruiter this week. I reckon 40 more pounds or so to go, and I would feel fairly comfortable going to boot camp.

// end vent
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  2. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

That is one solution and a good one. Another is to go back to school and get an advanced degree or combine the two. One of my uncles retired as a bird colonel and got both his under grad and masters degree while in the Army.
  3. topper

topper New Member

It don't look good for the future. Unemployment continues to rise and despite education and experience, it's hard to get a good job. Many folks out there looking. If I were young, (18-22) I would seriously consider the military. They have steady employment, great benefits, good salary, education programs, specialty jobs, and retirement. A friend of mine retired from the USAF back in '96 and he obtained a college degree while in, and traveled all over the world, had a high security clearance job, and was very happy with it. He retired (20 years) with a decent salary and then went and found a job with the USPS. He said it was the best thing he ever did, joining the military.
  4. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I know people where you work and I'm TELLING!

Seriously, I was glad to hear you say that you are happy to have a job regardless of your education.

I know of people who have Masters Degrees who are doing landscaping/lawn maintenance for a living. I know of LEO's who are now mowing lawns for a living and even others who have dropped 100k for an education, who are just scraping by.

As you may recall, my twin and I are in landscaping and have been for over 20 years... I've had people tell me that I am lucky to have my own business in this economy. My reply for the most part is that they are right, I mean I may lose one account, but I can replace it very quickly... I'm not going to be "laid off".

Here is the curve ball... This year, for the first time in the history of our business, we had four clients who just simply stopped paying their bill, now to be honest we have a lot of clients who get several months behind before they pay, but this is because of laziness... One Dr usually sends one or two big checks per year instead of paying every month when the invoice comes in, so at first it was no big deal... After awhile we have a hard decision to make, if we just terminate service there is a real high chance that we will lose that client and honestly, we don't want to lose business, but eventually that is what happens.

Unbelievably, we had to either threaten or actually file theft of service charges against a few of them to get our money... One guy has only a few days left to pay up before they issue a warrant for his arrest. This isn't good for business, but it does let people know that "We ain't playing games with ya", we did the work and were getting our money.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble, just saying that things are tight everywhere and we just better be glad that we have a job.

Crpdeth
  5. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Well...i thought obozo had shovel ready jobs to go....

GlockNut
    G1N1
  6. topper

topper New Member

The trouble with this country is we got too many chief and not enough indians. The politicians think they are above the law and any kind of physical work. Perhaps we need a law to force congress to get out and make a living by the sweat of their brow on construction in the heat of the summer in the deep south. Then they will know what it is to make a decent living. I'll bet not one could make a full day at hard labor. It is easy to sit back and direct others to work, but very tough when the politicians themselves would have to get out and get dirty. It would make a good reality show. "Politicians working for a living".
  7. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    If a customer is some how unhappy....:mad:

do both you guys say whoa.... it wasn't me it was my twin..... :D
  8. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

In this same vein, I've often thought that it would be nice to have one of these big wigs live on what I make for a living, first of all just to see if they could manage their money for a year and secondly, at the end of that year, see if they still think I should be paying in as much taxes as I do...

Sure would make another good reality show...

Crpdeth
  9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn New Member

That's not a bad idea. In fact, it's a good one. For more reasons than one. A stable paycheck. A good set of benefits. Great retirement. And your health would improve immensely if you dropped 40 lbs. You would skate through basic....way ahead of the pack.

A friend of mine just got the job assignment in the Navy he was holding out for. A pharmacy technician by trade, he saw his job going by the wayside (cutbacks) about a year ago and started the ball rolling.

I know it's easy for me to say.....but I say go for it. If you don't have many ties here that you are uncomfortable leaving for extended periods of time, you are perfect for the job. At the very least, while you have the idea in your head and are motivated, look into all the possiblities. In a way, I am jealous. Not that I am dissatisfied with what I do for a living or what I have going on in my personal life, but the armed forces is something I always wanted to do. Good luck brother.
  10. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I find the comments on advanced degrees interesting. I do some interviewing for my company. We like to hire new college graduates with minimal experience and the very few that we select, go into our Management Trainee Program with the hope that they will be ready to open a new Distribution Location for us in 3 to 5 years.

The graduates (or graduates-to-be) stop at our booth at the College Job Fair, and if interested, fill out an on-line application. Those that look promising, then are briefly phone interviewed. If that candidate passes muster and is in my Geography I am asked to have a face to face interview them. If I like them, they then go into a pool for a secondary interview and a few will get job offers.

What all these words lead to are, that without exception, everyone I have interviewed is caught between seriously looking for a job or considering Grad School. It seems to be accepted that a Bachelors degree is worthless and you must have an MBA (or Masters). What's next, a PhD to sell insulation?

I think that the job market is creating this atmosphere, but the schools promote it. The longer they keep you in school, the more revenue they derive and then you still come out as an unemployed MBA, saddled with monstrous debt.
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Dude, with your education, any branch of the military would jump at the chance to get you! Look into it now. I would bet that the Air Force would take you, over weight, and all!
  12. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I was a controller/Bus Mgr for many years and my question is what have you lost. Let the problem payers go to your competition. The guy that pays twice a year I would put an interest clause in my contract and make him initial it and charge him. If he objects I would tell him you aren't his bank.
  13. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Crp, I had a client once who had a similar situation with getting paid. I set him up with a computer program which would report every one of his clients to the credit bureaus every month. Those who paid on time got a good report every month. Those who were chronically late got a "late payment" report for a month or two before getting a "paid in full" report. Each client got a copy of the report each month with their invoice. The word got around pretty quickly and payments started coming in on a more timely basis.

He lost a couple of clients, but gained several more to make up for those.

Pops
  14. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

This is pretty much exactly a story of my life, except I was in the Army for 27 years and I did not take advantage of going to college.

James, I would recommend that when you see the recruiter, have him/her see if your qualifications and education can lead to you becoming an Officer in what ever service that you might choose. Life will be a lot easier and the pay better, too!:D
  15. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

I spent 20 years in the military and wouldn't trade it for anything. I've been all over the world and have made friends I'm still in contact with and I've been retired for thirty years. My son retired with twenty four years in the US Coast Guard. Go for it, but get the weight off first and get in shape.