Begin Vent

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladimir, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Thanks everyone :D

I believe it is because of our affluence as a country. It seems these days practically everyone goes to college (a slight exaggeration, but at the same time very true), and it is supply and demand- as bachelors become so common I need to enter a pool of smaller supply, to increase my demand, IE the masters. I am considering graduate school though because my degrees in particular are worthless [in their fields] without a masters, both history and international studies- I would need a masters or above really to enter the fields competitively, or teach (something I am also considering).

I think I probably have a chunk of time anyway after the surgery, I assume there is a period after that they don't want to deal with you ;) which is fine. I know some recruiters would sign me up right now, but I have no intention of entering boot camp at the bottom of my group because I was overweight and, largely, out of shape.

Now I'm the first to argue that overweight doesn't equal out of shape, and I'm not in terrible shape, but I'm not in great shape either. I will never be as light as the military says I need to be, but I would like to be more like 220ish before I start pushing the limits of entry. (Hovering around 260 right now, a drop of 90 :D).

EDIT: My sort of tentative plans right now are to keep up the grind, try and lose more weight. Hopefully by the time I have lost the weight (hope it happens :D) I will have some money saved up and will be in a good position to make the decision- military or graduate school.

However, I am looking for management work to boost the resume (and pay and what not). I feel like after four years of college, with my credentials (Eagle Scout, was a state officer for College Republicans, JROTC, run my own business, etc) I should be qualified for some sort of management/assistant manager (was trying for our liquor stores [they are all state ran here in WA so it is different] but no openings that I can find thus far).
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  2. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Here's my own little rant, on the subject of today's economy and government:

The Department of Labor here (GA) keeps making errors with my case, from scheduling my meetings at the same time as others' or just not recording the fact I have a meeting, to neglecting to authorize my benefit checks. The excuse every time is "We're processing four times the people through here that we used to."
    They've got a room full of people needing jobs there, every day. HIRE SOME MORE HELP!
  3. ckill1

ckill1 New Member

2 words...Nursing School. May not be very cool, then again, I get to treat gunshot wounds & traumatic amputations all day! Lots of schools have 12 month BA to BSN programs, & salary isnt bad (40-50k, depending on location). Plus, you only work 3 days a week. By the way, what surgery are you having?

Chris
  4. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    Man I feel your pain. I graduated in May and I don't have a job at all. I don't have the same options that you do because of my age and family. I'm 33 and have 3 kids under 11 years old.
  5. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

James, let me tell you as someone who has "been there, done that"... If you have the "want to", there is nothing holding you back, but you...

Here's the plan that I use any time I want to start shedding lbs and it works, Bro.

Eat like a King for breakfast, like a Prince for lunch and like a Pauper for dinner... In truth, I fight excess weight even in the laborious business that I run, but if I "cut it off" at 3:00pm (five hours before my bed time... You could adjust your cut off time by that), I have no problem shedding the poundage. The hardest part is the first two evenings and I may find myself cheating by having a few crackers or something, but honestly, it does get easy and before you know it you are wondering why your pants don't fit anymore.

Anyway, just something to think about.

Crpdeth
  6. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Now that's an idea! Maybe I'll suggest it next time I go to the unemployment office. The local UE office here is TERRIBLE! It's like watching a monkey try to pull it's head out of it's a**. These people couldn't find their butts with both hands and a hunting dog. You go there and it's hurry up and wait and wait and wait some more. It's as bad as when I was in the Air Force. Worse maybe. At least in the Air Force there was someone that knew what they were doing. I can't remember how many jobs I've applied for through them (where you fill out the application and they hand it in for you) and I've not heard back from ANY of them! I'm not even entirely sure that they're actually sending the applications where they need to go. What a joke. The NC Employment Security Commission...your tax dollars at work:rolleyes::rolleyes:
  7. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

When it's crowded, they give the people in line a number. This makes the line go away. Then they call out the numbers, but if somebody walks in they find out what they need immediately, while not calling out numbers. Then when they finally get to your number they see what it is you're there about. Efficient?

Glad I'm now a student! No more revisiting places that aren't hiring (still, after 6 months) and when I'm done maybe I'll have a job I like more and that will make more money!