beginner looking for answers

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by cadena, Apr 26, 2012.

1. cadena

cadena New Member

So I am new to all of this and was looking into it and am having trouble finding the equipment I would need to just start making 9mm ammo for any hand gun.

For example I was looking at the moulds on the rcbs page and found four different types of 9mm moulds...can anyone tell me the difference and what kind I would need?

82027 - BULLET MOULD 9MM-124-CN 402
    82026 - BULLET MOULD 9MM-115-RN 115
    82062 - BULLET MOULD 9MM-124-RN 401
    82063 - BULLET MOULD 9MM-124-RN-TG 115

???????????

And then the presses and the priming, I'm not sure how that works so if someone could point me in the direction of a book or manual that explains all of this or could someone explain...many thanks
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum don't worry u will get all the help u need on here and don't be afraid to ask questions, i asked a million, someone will be along to help u
  3. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Active Member

Are you wanting to cast your own bullets? Do you have a source of lead? IMHO it would be better to start with pre cast bullets and make sure this is a hobby you want to pursue. Then worry about the casting side to reloading. Just my 2 pennies
  4. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

The molds are for different weights and nose shapes.
  5. cadena

cadena New Member

It is a hobby I want to persue and I'm trying to cast my own bullets so I would like to try and figure out which mold I would need. And yes I have a source of lead, I work at a scrapyard.

And I'm not sure what you mean, sorry but you must understand that I'm 19 and I've owned two handguns so far. A ruger and a p30 and have always bought ammo from the store so I'm not sure what you mean when you say its for different weights. Nose shapes I understand.
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

82027 - BULLET MOULD 9MM-124-CN 402 = 124 grain weight when cast and countersunk nose
    82026 - BULLET MOULD 9MM-115-RN 115 round nose 115 grain
    82062 - BULLET MOULD 9MM-124-RN 401 etc
    82063 - BULLET MOULD 9MM-124-RN-TG 115 etc

now as a beginner keep it simple

choose a common weight (115 or 124 are most common for home casting )
    but remember to check finish as well

here's a link that may help

http://jack404.minus.com/mM4hmczwF
  7. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

cadena it sounds like you need to do some reading first off before you jump into purchasing equipment. If you don't you will wind up buying stuff that is wrong or stuff you don't need. Look at the Stickies at the beginning of the Ammo and Reloading forum here. LDBennette one of the pros here has some excellent threads that will help you get started. All the equipment and component manufactures put out manuals that will work you through the process. Lyman 49th, Hornady, RCBS has a DVD, Cast Bullet Handbook 4th are just a few.

Listen to Jack404 another pro around here. JLA is another pro that puts out some beautiful cast bullets. I am sure I have left out others.
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

actually i'd start shooting first

get a idea of what you want

some folks hate heavy projectiles in 9mm some folks dont like light ones.

choose what you want to shoot

then get the stuff you need if you need it

folks always tend to buy way too much stuff
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    You are dead on Jack! So many people get into reloading with out the knowledge of where they want to go. They wind up buying things they don't need, and odd ball bullets that they can't find a load for.
  10. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

11. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

If you really want to start... I would start out with some stuff from LEE. The melting pots are cheep but do work just fine. All of the Lee stuff is cheeper then most other brands. this will give you a taste of it and if you dont like to do it then your not out of a crap load of money. But if you find that you like it then i would go on ahead and buy the more quility stuff latter on. Just one word of advice.... Reloading and casting will grow!!! Make shure that you have plenty of room.
  12. cadena

cadena New Member

Yes I know as I stated in the original post I said I would like someone to refer me to any books or manuals if they know of any. I am aware I don't know anything about this and am not sure where to find books on it.
  13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

http://jack404.minus.com/mM4hmczwF

a very good book on beginning reloading and casting is the first title , a dozen other decent books and guides , and about 100 product manuals , all free

help yourself

Attached Files:

14. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I find that amazon.com has a lot of books available at good prices. The two links that steve4102 put up are great books and $19.99 is a really good price for both of them. The Lyman #49 is a great reloading manual and one that I suggest every time the subject comes up.
  15. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Post #10 above.
  16. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

Cadena,

While the amount of equipment you can buy to load cartridges is endless, you won't need a lot to get started.

1. You will need a reloading Manual of some sorts. I started out with a manual from LEE Reloading.

You can get thier newest manual Here
    It will be the cheapest and don't let anyone tell you it's no good. There is lot's of information in the book and even a section on cast bullets and working up reduced loads.

The other books that have been mentioned are good as well, I currently have Lyman #49 and Hornady 8th edition.

2. You will need a reloading press. There are 3 types: Single Stage, Turret, and Progressive. I would like to suggest a turret press to start with since you will be reloading 9mm. A single stage would work, but you may tire of the slow rate. You can use the turret press as a single stage to get some practice in as well. Ill show you links to LEE equipment (only to keep it from getting too confusing- there are planty other brands out there...)

Single Stage
    Turret Press
    Progressive Presses

I own all 3 types of presses shown here. Only the Loadmaster(progressive) has given me any problems.

3. Reloading Dies. There are 2 types and 2 groups. Rifle dies and Pistol Dies.
    Both pistol and rifle dies are offered in steel, as well as carbide. Dies with carbide do not require you to lubricate the cases when they are resized. Rifle carbide dies still require lubing.
    Again, there are many different manufacturers of dies out there. Some are more expensive than others, but all will work if setup according to the die manufacturers instructions.
    This die set will have everything you need for 9mm pistol.
    LEE 9mm
    Regardless of what dies or press you buy, the dies will work in any of the newer presses today.

4. Calipers. You will need a set of these to measure the length of the cartridge . Reading a manual will let you know whay this is important. You can buy them at harbor Freight(if you want to go cheap) or you can pick them up online from all sorts of places. A set similar to these will work fine.
    6" Calipers

5. Powder Dispenser. Here is one designed to work with the turret press.
    Auto Disk Powder Measure
    To make use of this smoother on a turret press you could buy the rise and the swivel adapter. Those are not an absolute must have.

Those are the basics in equipment that will get you started in reloading.

One of the best ways to start out is to buy a kit. Most kits will include a lot of things needed to get started.
    Turret Press kit
    This particular kit has the book, a beam scale, the powder dispenser, priming arms, some case conditioning tools and of course the press. It does not come with the dies and those would have to be purchased separately(as most kits do).

Now for componets. Bullets, brass, smokless powder and primers.

Again, no shortage of choices here as well.
    The reloading manuals will help you decide which to go with. Hopefully you have been saving all of the brass you have been shooting as that will reduce your costs.

Now into casting your own bullets. Thats a whole different animal. Depending on the type of mold you buy, that will determine the way those bullets will have to be lubed. There are fancy machines out there that will lube and size the bullets at the same time, but they are very expensive.

I cast my own bullets too using equipment from LEE. And I lube them using the "tumble lube" method. I use the 10lb pot with pour spout and a LEE 158 grain SWC(Single Wad Cutter) TL (Tumble Lube) mold.

You will run across so many different acronyms in the reloading world that will make your head spin.

What I typed out here is just basic information. There is more to it and thats why you have seen everyone and myself stress the importance of getting a reloading manual or two, which you have asked about and thats great to see from someone. Believe it or not, there are a lot of people out there who just buy the equipment and don't know how to use it.

As always, if you have any more questions, do not hesitate to ask as you will get a lot of responses back with answers.

Post back with your progress. I have a few spare pieces of equipment that I will be willing to give you if you chose to start reloading.

Reloading may seem like rocket science, but it's not. Just use your head and go with what the manual says and you won't go wrong.

Oh, here are some links to a few websites that have reloading items and other stuff as well:
    MidwayUSA
    Wideners
    Natchez Shooter Supplies
    Mid South Shooters Supply
    Graf and Sons
    Press Manufacturers:
    LEE
    RCBS
    Redding
    Lyman
    Forster
    Dillon
  17. cadena

cadena New Member

OMG wow you guys i have no idea how to thank everyone, this has made my adventure into Ammo Reloading much easier. All the info and books from everyone, especially @JohnTheCalifornian; has made this much easier. thank you everyone!
  18. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i told u that u would get help
  19. mb1

mb1 Former Guest

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  20. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

sorry yes sorry british background here CN conical HP countersunk ..

my goof , cheers mb1