beginner looking for answers

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by cadena, Apr 26, 2012.

1. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Cadena, where are you from?
  2. cadena

cadena New Member

I'm from north Texas, fort worth specifically.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Theres a shoot and lots of food tomorrow in West. PM sent.
  4. mikld

mikld Member

You can thank us by being a safe, conscientious, reloader/handloader. Kabooms fom sloppy handloading make us all look bad...
  5. mb1

mb1 Former Guest

Sorry not trying to be a knowitall, just clarifying for the newguy. God knows theres enough to learn.
  6. Jack Shooter

Jack Shooter New Member

On the different bullet moulds by Lee in 9mm a question for all who have been there, done that? For target shooting steal 500. What bullet mould did you find best. I have been using 125 gn round nose, but purchased them to load. They have the larger lube rings and I have had no trouble with shooting them. I am just starting to cast my own and want to know about the lube rings. Do you cast using a mould with the micro lube rings or the larger 1-2 rings and pan lube or size and pressure lube? What are the pro's and con's? Between the Steal or Brass and Aluminum tell me the one you prefer and why. All help is greatly appreciated by your brothers in arms. I need to make choices soon as to what moulds I will get before the Loons running Calif. make it illegal to buy casting equipment! Thank's fellow shooters.
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

>For target shooting steal 500.<

I have no idea what you mean by that.

The correct term for what you called "lube rings" is "grease grooves". :) Always nice to know the right terms.

If you are going to use solid lube, and either pan lube or a lube-sizer, you need to get a mold with large grease grooves. The "micro lube rings" come, to my knowledge, only on the Lee "Tumble Lube" molds. They are designed to be used as cast - without being sized - and with the Lee Liquid Alox lube.

Whether the Tumble Lube bullets are good or not, I don't know.

If you are going to shoot black powder, you need a large amount of lube, to keep the fouling soft.

[​IMG]

From the left, #s 2, 3 and 4 have wide, deep grooves. Hold a lot of lube. While the one on the right has narrower, shallower grooves. Won't hold as much.

You don't need as much lube for smokeless powder as you do for black. The narrow shallow grooves hold plenty.

The softer the lube is, the better. If you buy factory cast bullets, they come with a hard lube that is about the consistency of a wax candle. They tell you "hard lube is better". They lie. They use hard lube because it ships better. A box of bullets with soft (which also means sticky) lube, bounced around by UPS or the post office, will have lube everywhere. The entire bullet will be coated, and chunks of it can be pulled out of the grooves, by being up against another bullet and the lube from the first bullet sticks to the nose of the second bullet. It's a mess.

I used to use Alox stick lube. I pan-lubed when I got started. When I decided I really wanted to get heavy into casting, I bought a Lyman 450 Lube-Sizer.

I have not used that Lyman for more than ten years. The Lee sizer dies, that mount to the press, are so much better. The entire die, for a new caliber, is cheaper than the H&I for the 450. And I've gone completely to the Lee Liquid Alox. It is the best stuff I've found.