Beginner question.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Noremac1982, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Noremac1982

Noremac1982 New Member

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and also to reloading. So hello everyone. I have recently taken an interest in reloading my own ammo due to many factors. The first being that I would like to shoot more and secondly I would like to have more control over my availability of ammo. I recently ordered a lee turret press, scales, and a set of the lee deluxe 4 piece die set in 45 Colt. While making my purchase I also ordered some Oregon trail laser cast 200gr bullets in .452 diameter. I chose these because of the cost and the quantity. After some more reading I am wondering if these bullets are what I should have gotten. I went to my local gun store and looked at some reloading guides to get a little bit of a head start before mine arrives with my press. The problem is that I didn't see these bullets in any of the guides. I know this might be a simple question but will the bullets work in 45 Colt. The description didn't specify so I am wondering if I might have purchased the wrong bullets. I also have a .45 Auto so they aren't wasted I will just have to get the dies and i can use them, I think? So I guess I have a couple questions, 1) will they work for my application, plinking and target shooting? 2) since I can't find any load data, what is a comparable recipe that I can use for these if they will work? I have some bullseye powder and CCI 300 primers that I picked up locally because I didn't want to pay the extra shipping. 3) do I need a special crimping die to correctly seat the bullet? 4) would i be better off since i am a beginner to just get a bullet that is listed in my loading guide once it arrives? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. TIA
  2. Noremac1982

Noremac1982 New Member

Oh and the bullets I ordered are LSWC. Not sure if it matters but i want to give as much detail as possible so I can get the best help possible. Thanks again.
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Welcome Noremac1982!!

I don't know which loading manual that you were looking at or which ones you have on order. The Lyman Reloading handbook # 49 has load data for a 200 grain lead bullet, so does the Hornady Manual #7, and so does Speer #14.

One word of caution on the .45 Colt loads. Most manuals will have two or three different sections listed for them. One that will say something like .45 Revolver and then a section that will say like for Ruger and T/C. If you are using an older .45, you need to use the section for Revolver. Ruger and T/C is self explanatory.

Here is a link to the Accurate powders reloading information. It does have data for a 200 grain Hornady XTP bullet but none for lead. You can use the data for the XTP but stay at the lower end of the data. http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/accurate_load_data_3.5.pdf

I no longer load for .45 colt since I traded off my pistol back in November. When I did load for it I loaded 200 grain and 250 grain bullets and the .452 will work just fine in them. I would stay with .451 in the .45 auto even though the .452 lead will be fine for them too.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum someone might move your post to the reloading thread but i am sure someone will help u
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I forgot to cover your questions in my post.

1. I did answer that one, YES they will work for your application

2. I kind of answered that one too. You can use the data for a 200 grain XTP bullet but stay at the lower end of the spectrum.

3. Bullseye powder is not listed in the Lyman book but it is in the Hornady and Speer and the starting weights are different. I wouldn't trust something I read on a forum anyway. I would never lead you wrong but people do make typographical errors that could be dangerous. Wait until you get your manuals.

4. The 200 grain bullets are listed so the answer to that question could be NO because it could be in your book. You need to get at least two different manuals and I suggest a Lyman #49 as one of them (three would be better).
  6. Noremac1982

Noremac1982 New Member

Thanks gdmoody. The manuals I was looking at had other brands of 200 gr LSWC bullets but I thought I needed to find my specific brand in order to load it safely because the alloy's might differ and also the ballistic coefficient. I was looking for something very similar Oregon trail laser cast and the two that I found were the hornady LSWC and the Speer LSWC. I wrote down some of the data for those bullets and it differs slightly. So I guess what you are saying is that it is safe to use data from other manufacturers brands of bullets as long as they are the same weight? I would be staying on the low end of the spectrum for the load for now. These rounds will be shot through a Taurus judge and I don think it can handle +P rounds anyways so I won't be loading anything likethat anyways. My sig will however so I might load up some +P for it once I gain some experience and more knowledge, for now I am going to be sticking to lighter loads while I work on learning the basics of reloading. I have so much to learn, I have the lee manual or order but I might go back to the store and pick up a copy of the Lyman manual tomorrow after work. I was looking of alliants website and they have load data listed for a 200gr LRFN bullet, would that data work even though it is for a Speer bullet not Oregon trail. From what I have read the Oregon trail bullets are very hard, I know this affects the bullet to barrel seal and also how much leading is experienced. Everything I have read says to start at the lower end of the load spectrum and work your way up so I will do that. How does the ballistic coefficient affect the loading, also what is the COL that I was seeing in the manuals and on some websites? Thanks for the help though, I have a lot to learn and I won't load the first round until I feel confident I am going to be doing it the right way and in the safest way possible. I have a long way to go but it will be worth it in the long run.
  7. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Semper Fi,

Woolley
  8. Noremac1982

Noremac1982 New Member

Thanks, I have ordered a lee set of dies that includes a factory crimp die. Will that give me the roll crimp that I need?
  9. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

WELCOME ABOARD Normac1982 FROM THE GREAT STATE OF IOWA! Like everyone above stated, get your loading manuals and read as much as you can and then read it again so you comprehend! One thing you might try is the internet loading data available from most powder manufacturers. They all cover their powders of course, but you will get variables in other bullet types such as lead verses plated verses jacketed etc. along with bullet weights and configurations. There is tons of info out there read all you can, but as gdmoody stated, don't rely on info given to you by us because errors do happen, we have all seen them. Totally unintential, but can be deadly. Good luck!
  10. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

Yep, the Lee Factory crimp die should do nicely for you. Read the instructions carefully about the set-up. I use mine on all the .45's I roll out.

And welcome to the avocation. It is more than a hobby.
  11. Noremac1982

Noremac1982 New Member

Haha, yea clipper your right. There is a lot to learn, and most hobbies won't blow up in you hand and face if you screw up. You guys have been extremely helpful. I am going to keep reading until my press and stuff gets here. Should be Monday, I have a lot to learn by then, it's gonna be a long weekend, but I got to be ready when my stuff gets here.
  12. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Do you already have a tumbler and a set of calipers? Prep some brass and plan on doing up some dummy rounds to get the hang of die adjustments. Don't worry about scrapping a few bullets, it's worth the $1 or 2 to get it right.
  13. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

I'm glad to see you picked the LEE equipment as it is the very best.
  14. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Where's LDBennett when you need him?:lmao2:
  15. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Hey now don't pick on my buddy LD.