1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

belknap

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by smokyjo, Sep 19, 2010.

1. smokyjo

smokyjo New Member

I just recieved a 12 guage single barrel belknap model B63, thirty six inch barrel with a rabbiy engraved on the left side of the reciever.
    what can you tell me about this weapon?
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

First, that is a sporting shotgun, not a "weapon" as the term usually understood.

Belknap was a hardware distributor and was in business from 1840-1986. (See http://rosetools.bizland.com/id5.html for information on the company.)

Like other companies in that business, they had shotguns (and sometimes other guns) made and marked with their own name. Several companies, notably Crescent, would do that, but I don't find Belknap on a list of Crescent guns, so some other company may have made those. Some also came from Belgium; the presence of Belgian proof marks will show whether that is the origin of your gun.

Those "trade" guns were usually serviceable enough, but made to a price, and most seen today are plain worn out from being used in a day when carrier pidgeons darkened the sky and there were no game limits. They are not made for modern shotgun shells and should be fired with them. Many have Damascus or built up barrels and should not be fired at all as they could be highly dangerous.

Value depends on condition, but there is almost no collector interest and even in near-new condition they rarely bring over $150. In average shape, they run around $50-75 if one can be sold at all. I strongly recommend you treat it as a wall hanger.

Jim
  3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Belknap B63 = Springfield/Savage Model 947. Springfield/Stevens/Savage are controlled by the same group so many of the long arms are the same or similar. I suspect you have a trade name version of the venable Stevens / Savage Model 94.
  4. smokyjo

smokyjo New Member

thanks for the info on the shotgun. It may be a sporting shotgun to you jim, but as a retired cop they;re all weapons to me. It definitely will be hanging on my wall.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Well, I suspected you were either police or military. It is a bit of a pet peeve of mine that some folks call all guns "weapons"; the media follows suit, and the anti-gun gang then describes all guns as "weapons used only by murderers and terrorists", etc. I know any gun can be used as a weapon, but so can a golf club or a frying pan or a car.

I doubt you are going to use that old shotgun on a murder spree, so I hope you will stop thinking of it as a "weapon."

Jim