Belleau Wood commemorative, carried and shot

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by premiumplus, Oct 20, 2009.

1. premiumplus

premiumplus New Member

Hi all,
    Great forum you all have here, and I have been visiting for some time. I value your experience, and so I registered in order to pose a question about a pistol I've had for some years.
    I've got a Belleau Wood commemorative that was carried and shot when I purchased it. I took it to a dealer and they told me that it came stock with Gold Cup action in it. Can anyone confirm this? It's a great shooter and never jams, but I am curious to learn if there would be improvements by getting aftermarket parts for it or if it's already been done.
    Thanks!
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I think he's pullin' your chain. First, I think the only difference between a "Gold Cup Action" and a regular action, is the Gold Cup is tighter. They take the slop out of the gun. A standard gun has slop built into it, so it can work when it's dirty, or full of mud or sand. A Gold Cup, being a target gun, doesn't need that kind of reliability. The slop, though, means less accuracy (usually). It's a trade-off. Since the target gun has a tighter fit of its parts, it requires more work to make (which is one of the reasons it costs more).

Commemorative guns are designed to be bought and looked at and stored carefully, but never fired. Since they were never supposed to be fired, it would make no sense to put the time and effort into it to give it a target action.

If "it's a great shooter and never jams", what improvements are you trying to get? That's the best that a gun can be - that it always fires, and hits where you aim it.
  3. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Shooting a commemorative removes any (if any) commemorative value of the firearm.

I totally agree with Alpo: IOW "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." If you want a 'project gun' I'd consider starting with a stock 1911 from any of the reliable companies, and plotting where you want to take it. Doing so will avoid expensive 'backtracking' when you have to un-do what's been done.
    (2ยข)