Belts and Holsters

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by tyc, Feb 12, 2011.

1. tyc

tyc New Member

Those of you with Remington "New Army" BP revolvers, I have to ask, who do you know who offers a decent choice of leather suitable for such a weapon? Both Civil War era military as well as a civilian style type belt and holster are of interest here.

tyc
  2. twobit

twobit Active Member

3. rdstrain49

rdstrain49 New Member

I carry my BP revolvers horseback. Way too many mountain cat to be unarmed in the back country. Due to the frequent use and very harsh conditions, my leather gear must be very stout. Not wanting to pay several hundred $s for a rig, I make my own.

[​IMG]
  4. tyc

tyc New Member

5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    That's some nice work there my man! While I don't shoot BP, I do own, and carry a Ruger single six in .44mag, when hunting. I only have the one that needs a western style holster. But am looking at some others at this time. Most of the name brand revolvers on the market run around $1,000 +, and I just don't have that kind of money.
  6. tyc

tyc New Member

Nice rigs! Those double loop holsters appeal to me the most. Came across a "Uvaldi" set (double loop) on "Cimarron" or was it "Western Leather", nice looking holster and belt but it won't fit a "New Army"

tyc
  7. Country101

Country101 Active Member

That's some nice looking leather work there, rd!
  8. rdstrain49

rdstrain49 New Member

The double loop holsters are what started it all. My great grandfather carried one much the same as the holsters that I make. My first holster build was based on his holster. I still shoot the S&W but the holster is retired now.

[​IMG]
  9. scrat

scrat New Member

BIG BAD GUNS Robert Chiasson. He made a holster for me for my WALKER. He has made a lot of rigs and holsters for members on THR. does excellent work very fair prices.
    http://www.bbgcustomleather.com/index.html

here is mine. He customized it and put on U S M R for United States Mounted Rifle
    [​IMG]
    http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=351202&highlight=bbg holster
    http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=341028&page=110&highlight=holster rig
    http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=341028&page=98&highlight=holster rig
    http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=341028&page=97&highlight=holster rig
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  10. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I also made my own for my 1860 Army from tanned leather and rawhide laces.

But I am shamed by my obvious lack of leatherworking skills compared to rdstrain so I won't post a pic...let's just say its "functional".... kinda along the lines of "But she has SUCH a nice PERSONALITY...":cool:
  11. polishshooter

Oh WTH, I don't think anybody will laugh at it or anything, but it DOES work, and has lasted about 15 years already.

It can only make rdstrains look BETTER, right?:p

Not sure if it would stand up to horseback though....
  12. polishshooter

Crap, the pic didn't post....oops, missed the "upload" button....:cool:

Attached Files:

13. rdstrain49

rdstrain49 New Member

Polishshooter

You are way ahead of most guys, who won't even try. If you only need one holster, that will work. If you need or want more, refine your pattern, hone your skills, and before you know it you will be running with the big dogs.

Check out this link, lots of ideas, tips etc.
    http://leatherworker.net/content/
  14. rdstrain49

rdstrain49 New Member

I came up with a new (for me) design. Never intended to be in business, but I've been selling all of these that I can make.

[​IMG]
  15. tyc

tyc New Member

Well, I did finally pick up a belt and holster set, two actually.

Got one belt from Dell's Leather works in NY. As ex-Navy, I couldn't resist getting the Civil War belt rig with a Naval Officer's belt buckle on it. The guy at Dell's really does nice work.

Got another rig, a "cowboy" type rather than Civil War style from "The Old Trading Post" in CA and I'm impressed - which isn't easily done. The cross-draw holster fits the Remington perfectly and the matching 3" belt has fifteen or so loops on it for 45lc cartridges. At present I'm using the BP configuration but someday I just might "upgrade" to cartridges but ther's no hurry about that.. Delivered, the whole rig came in at just a hair over $100! Short of making my own (which wouldn't have been anywhere near as good looking) it was the best deal I know of.

Once I figure out how to do it, I'll up load the photos I've taken of these rigs. I've only recently turned to BP and I regret not having done this a lot sooner than now.

tyc
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  16. Pustic

Pustic Member

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011