The Firearms Forum banner

Belts and Holsters

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Pustic 
#1 ·
Those of you with Remington "New Army" BP revolvers, I have to ask, who do you know who offers a decent choice of leather suitable for such a weapon? Both Civil War era military as well as a civilian style type belt and holster are of interest here.

tyc

#5 ·
I carry my BP revolvers horseback. Way too many mountain cat to be unarmed in the back country. Due to the frequent use and very harsh conditions, my leather gear must be very stout. Not wanting to pay several hundred $s for a rig, I make my own.

That's some nice work there my man! While I don't shoot BP, I do own, and carry a Ruger single six in .44mag, when hunting. I only have the one that needs a western style holster. But am looking at some others at this time. Most of the name brand revolvers on the market run around $1,000 +, and I just don't have that kind of money.

#6 ·
I carry my BP revolvers horseback. Way too many mountain cat to be unarmed in the back country. Due to the frequent use and very harsh conditions, my leather gear must be very stout. Not wanting to pay several hundred $s for a rig, I make my own.

Nice rigs! Those double loop holsters appeal to me the most. Came across a "Uvaldi" set (double loop) on "Cimarron" or was it "Western Leather", nice looking holster and belt but it won't fit a "New Army"

tyc

#10 ·
I also made my own for my 1860 Army from tanned leather and rawhide laces.

But I am shamed by my obvious lack of leatherworking skills compared to rdstrain so I won't post a pic...let's just say its "functional".... kinda along the lines of "But she has SUCH a nice PERSONALITY...":cool:

#11 ·
Oh WTH, I don't think anybody will laugh at it or anything, but it DOES work, and has lasted about 15 years already.

It can only make rdstrains look BETTER, right?:p

Not sure if it would stand up to horseback though....

#15 · (Edited)
Well, I did finally pick up a belt and holster set, two actually.

Got one belt from Dell's Leather works in NY. As ex-Navy, I couldn't resist getting the Civil War belt rig with a Naval Officer's belt buckle on it. The guy at Dell's really does nice work.

Got another rig, a "cowboy" type rather than Civil War style from "The Old Trading Post" in CA and I'm impressed - which isn't easily done. The cross-draw holster fits the Remington perfectly and the matching 3" belt has fifteen or so loops on it for 45lc cartridges. At present I'm using the BP configuration but someday I just might "upgrade" to cartridges but ther's no hurry about that.. Delivered, the whole rig came in at just a hair over $100! Short of making my own (which wouldn't have been anywhere near as good looking) it was the best deal I know of.

Once I figure out how to do it, I'll up load the photos I've taken of these rigs. I've only recently turned to BP and I regret not having done this a lot sooner than now.

tyc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.