Bench rest

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by Hallchinalady, May 29, 2004.

1. Hallchinalady

Hallchinalady New Member

Is there any good front rifle rest that can be bought for less then $100
  2. BoydHeaton

BoydHeaton New Member

Good front rest and $100.00 just don't go together...So my answer is no:D
  3. Joe Haller

Joe Haller New Member

Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan & Mission, Texas
    Good Rests - Bad Rests

Some shooters consider the Caldwell Rock rest a good buy at less than $100.00. May not be the best for high recoil rifles, but with a bag of shot draped over the rear leg of the tripod it should be heavy enough.

For .22 rimfire it a GOOD rest without the shot bag. Priced at about $64.00 plus about $11.00 for the front bag from MidSouth. The cheap one piece rests and the Hoppies tripod rest are junk (IMHO)

For shooting groups, even in match competition, I consider the Caldwell to be just as good as the heavier rests when using the rimfires.

Shooting “For Score” where you must move the aiming point for each shot, some shooters would consider the EXPENSIVE rests with horizontal movement an advantage. I have two rests with that feature. Maybe I’m too old to learn new tricks, but I still just shift the rear bag when moving across a row of 5 bulls on the USBR target. For moving down to the next row I use the vertical adjustment.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. Your best piece of rest equipment is a good rear bag with rabbit or bunny ears. If you don’t have a good rear bag: GET ONE before you invest in a high dollar front rest.

Joe
  4. islenos

islenos New Member

I guess I'm cheap....I just throw a couple of shot bags filled with sand over a .50 cal can (that doubles as my shooting box):D
  5. Craig

Craig New Member

Sand bags is what I'm going with,