Benchrest/Gun Rest/Equipment

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by Zigzag2, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

What are you shooters using for zeroing-in and/or precision shooting?

Rifle ...

Pistol ...
  2. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

The range in the National Forest that SoMo and I have used has very nice amdextrious shooting tables with sand bags provided. So far these have been satisfactory for accurate rifle shooting and we plan to go back for sighting in my Browning BLR .30-06 and the Ruger Left-Handed .270 Mark II rifle.

I have thought, though, of using a good bi-pod along with a monopod on the butt of the stock. Along those lines: Has anyone had any experience with the Accu Shot monopod?
  3. Txquadhunter

Txquadhunter Member

Zig, to get some info over some good benchrest stuff check out www.benchrest.com They have a msg board or a host of links for rest and other things used.
  4. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

Txquadhunter, you're right about Benchrest.com and Rimfire Central too. A lot of valuble information can be found on the web.

Like everything else, there's a range of equipment available out there.

I was wondering what some around here used. If there's a particular style or brandname preferred over others,
  5. keppler

keppler New Member

I use bags, front and rear, and a bench I built myself.
  6. Txquadhunter

Txquadhunter Member

Zig,

I'll let you use my Rest I use to hunt, But it'd knock me out of huntin til I got it back. But I did use the lil cheap hoppes shooters rest. I only have it because a Friend of Mines Father in law gave it to him, Which he had no use for it, so i've got it now. It works good for light recoiled rifles. But for Mags like my 300win it likes knocking the rear mount up your nose or mouth if given the chance no matter how well you hold the rifle for recoil. I got so great laughs watcvhing a friend Shoot my 300win for the rest 3 times trying diffirent ways of holding the rifle to keep recoil from jumping the stand around. Nothin like watching that stand jump up his nose twice and mouth once because cussing the stand and moved to a sports bag as a rest..lol

This is what I use when I do any kind of shooting/huntin because of mydisability.

Attached Files:

• rig3.gif
      rig3.gif
      File size:
      62.5 KB
      Views:
  7. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

Txquadhunter, that's rignt fine of you offering. :)

I think I've narrowed it down to a "Rock" rest.

They won't be available till after Christmas.
  8. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Marlin...I've got one propped up under the butt of this fella...Works just fine...;)

Attached Files:

9. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Thanks, SG.

I had thought that it would make a good, stable but relatively inexpensive solution to the sighting in problem for us regular fellers that are just shooters, not super marksman and competition guys.

I just want to be sure I'm going to hit where I think it's going for a clean kill and reasonable protection, if that be necessary.
  10. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Thanks Marlin...!...'bout time someone acknowledged my shootin' skills...:rolleyes: ...:cool:... ;)
  11. claybuster

claybuster New Member

If you are considering buying a rest, check out Joe Cowan's. In my opinion these are the best for the money. Comes standard with the windage top for $180. I ordered mine with the speed screw & the needle bearing, which bumped the cost to, I think it was $230 - money well spent. It accepts the standard Protektor bags. Here's mine with my Annie Match 54 on it.

Attached Files:

• 54.jpg
      54.jpg
      File size:
      103.8 KB
      Views:
  12. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

claybuster, Where do you find Joe Cowan's?...
  13. claybuster

claybuster New Member

Joe's email address is: jcowan1@aasdcat.com

He teaches at a school in Altoona, Pa. to train machinists in the operation of numerically controlled equipment. The design is his but his students do all of the machining as training.The proceeds from the sale of the rests goes to the school.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2004
  14. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

That's nice, REAL NICE!

I suppose, I'll need to save up coupons a little longer. :p
  15. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Zig, I picked this one up last week-end...haven't shot off of it yet though...;)

Attached Files: