The Firearms Forum banner

Benchrest (ing) the Henry 22 Mag

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Freebore 
#1 ·
Benchrest (ing) the Henry 22 WMR

While it was originally acquired for sneaking up and popping woodchucks with iron sights at a little over arms length, my Henry Golden Boy .22 Magnum proved quite capable of better than that.

I have to admit I never really looked at any kind of lever gun as a paper puncher, but all in all I was quite surprised when I brought it with me to the local range. Some of the folks observing were wondering what that brassy looking thing with the octagon barrel was doing sitting on a benchrest setup, one guy said “aren’t you supposed to shoot them things from the hip”….well,…. maybe Lucas McCain could ?…but anyway.

I had originally equipped the Henry with a 3X9 scope, but then opted for a 4X to use on the 50 & 100 yd distances (brighter optics and a much more comfortable view). The ammo used was Winchester 40 grain FMJ and Hornady 30 grain V-Max, the Hornady ammo did group slightly tighter (and a little higher) than the Winchester, but not enough to completely sell me on one or the other, (maybe I’ll settle for a little more energy and sacrifice a few thousandths of an inch). I'm sure these groups can be tightened up somewhat with more scope, but don't want to take away the handy feel of this nice little rifle.

My usual chuck gun has always been my faithful 257 Ackley Improved topped with a 24X, it has proven itself again and again way out to 300+, and always rained pure hell on the furry football population (and quite loudly I might add), but maybe now I’ll retire it to just the ++ distances, and let the Henry fill in for the shorter stuff, My only concern is that using a scope on the Henry means you have to remove the rear sight, thus no ability for back up iron sights, but then again,…………. Maybe that guy was right, what about shooting them woodchucks from the hip ?

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.