Benelli 22LR target pistols? Others?

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by LDBennett, Aug 2, 2008.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I don't compete but I want an Olympic style semi-auto 22LR match target pistol to add to my collection. I want something the next step above my S&W Model 41.

In looking at Larry Guns web page I see he stocks Benelli pistols. Interestingly they are 1/2 to 1/3 the price of a Pardini or a Walther or a Hammerli. What's the story? Are they really a step above my S&W Model 41 (which has a list price 1 1/2 times more than a MP95!)?????

What can you expect from them accuracy wise and for feeding and functioning reliablity?

The models there are the MP90S and MP95 (in 22 lR). The MP90S looks really good to me at only a bit more than the Model 41 list price and perhaps half that of any of the Wathers, Pardini's, or Hammerli's.

My choices are limited in CA due to the limited number of Olympic Pistols on the CA exemption list. Only those on the list are exempt from the safety ceritfication process. There are some of each of those listed above but the detailed list is:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/op.pdf

Anyone got some comments? Thanks in advance for anyone who may help.

LDBennett
  2. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

LD,

I cann't comment on the Bennelli's but I like you like target grade .22lr's. Some years ago I was able to order a new Baikal IZH 35. Last I knew they are not any imported right now, (EAA) but the used market will have one turn up now and then. Very interesting pistol, Russian manufacture, and as most things Russian the "polish" is not up to 41 SW standards by any means. That being said however, it is the first pistol designed with a rule book in hand....it was not derived from any existing design. The upper half of the gun above the grip is inverted so the bore is low, as low as ISU rules allowed. The firing mechanizm is in the rear sight base with a window on the sear, for adjustment. The hammer "hangs" from the top of the frame and swings down and foreward to strike a firing pin made to be dry fired with no changes...just cock and dry fire at will. They are common enough perhaps you have already seen one.......The one I have, after adjusting the trigger pull weight , lenght of pull to the trigger face, sear engagement. and the grips palm shelf, fits my hand very well. I can say that on the bench the 41 is usually just a bit more accurate, but off hand the IZH 35 is every bit as good and probably better. Plus there is not slide to hit your hand, as the bolt is enclosed. I am very glad I added one to my collection when they were available (paid $350 for mine new!) quite a good buy for the performance, but like I said they are not a looker beside a 41. Just though I'd inform you on these. If you have not already seen one. (Calf. aproves it too) Best reguards Kirk
    P.S. do a google search on it...lots of info available, and pictures.
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  3. LDBennett

300 H&H:

I had one for a while. It was not CA legal so a friend loaned me one to use while in his state. When they became CA legal I returned it only to find EAA had quit importing it. My son-in-law found one used and bought it up. It is an interesting pistol but not quite accurate enough, in my opinion, to be a real Olympic gun. There was a version finished by others that might have been and of course the real gun as used by the Russian Olympic competitors probably was accurate to no end.

Still wondering why the Beneli's are so inexpensive!

LDBennett
  4. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

LD,

They should not really be inexpencive with the value of the dollar...unless other currancies are in decline as well. Bt the Euro I don't think has been one of these. Have you thought about the TOZ guns? I wish I could see a Benelli, and shoot one. There is a sight that had some comments on these guns (Beneli) I found while looking up the IZH 35. The REAL deal would be an IJ 35 of years ago. Or the German variant based on the IJ 35 that is availabe today. Best reguards Kirk
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  5. LDBennett

OK, I took the plunge and ordered the Benelli MP90S. And it was a BIG plunge. This by far the most expensive gun I have purchased in 20 years of active shooting. Some of my older guns in today's prices might match it but it still was a hunk of change. I sure hope it is worth it! Can't wait!

It will be probably a month before I have it in my hands as the transfer dealer has to snail mail his FFL, checks have to clear, shipping, and the CA waiting period. That all assumes everything works right. There is a new wrinkle in CA where any out of state dealer sending a gun (pistol or rifle or both???) to California has to fill out paper work for CA DOJ before the CA dealer can accept it. More stumbling blocks!!!! Ammo is next, I'm sure.

300H&H:

On the IZH35M, I shot one that a friend who lived out of state owned. At the time the gun could not be purchased in CA (not on any list of acceptable pistols). When it finally got on the list I tried to order one but EAA stopped importing it. It was a unique gun, that's for sure. I don't think it had the accuracy of even my S&W Model 41, though. Hopefully the Benelli will best the S&W Model 41.

LDBennett
  6. LDBennett

Got to see and handle my new Benelli MP90S at the dealers yesterday. Looks really good but had to leave it for the 10 day waiting period. Can't wait !!!! Hope it shoots as good as it looks.

LDBennett
  7. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

Can you give us a report on how you like the functioning of your Benelli MP90S ?

Thalnks.
  8. LDBennett

I picked it up 18 months ago!

I have shot it multiple times and love the pistol. I have adjusted the two stage trigger to my liking. The sights are so good I just can not make myself put a red dot on it. It likes CCI Standard Velocity ammo (what gun doesn't???). It is superbly accurate but of course with only using the open sights I am not shooting it to its accuracy limit, even rested on the bench.

My only complaint (which is not really relevant as I do not intend to scope it or put a red dot on it) is the rail system is European and takes special rings. Yes, I know they are available. Also, you have to demount the scope to field strip the gun for a thorough cleaning, which I insist on doing after every range session. The slide can not be removed with a scope or red dot in place. That's two complaints but that does not diminish my love for the gun! Some guns were just made to shoot with open sight and this gun is one of them (the sights are classic perfect target sights!).

LDBennett
  9. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

This is probably because the Europeans don't shoot much Bullseye, just Standard Pistol.
    I have been shooting a MP95 (with the MP90 anatomical grip) for the last 7 or 8 years. In fact I got rid of my M41 after the first season with the MP95.
    I have mounted an Ultradot on it and it can cause a problem in that occasionally an ejected case will bounce of the bottom of the tube and back into the action thereby causing a malfunction. (Very irritating during rapid fire.) I pretty much solved the problem by going to a higher set of rings.
    I've seen a couple of shooters that have mounted the sight either forward or aft of the bolt, but it looks weird and really affects the balance.

I know what you mean about having to remove the scope to field strip. I usually just remove the upper half of the rings and don't disturb the actual mount on the gun. (I made a witness mark to get the tube back correctly.)
    It seems to be working out fine, but I don't do a complete takedown as often as you. I suppose that an even taller set of mounts could solve the problem, but then you would be defeating the purpose of the low bore/sight axis to hand relationship that makes this gun such a pleasure to shoot.

Dean