Bent Scope. Don't buy this one.

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by drunkdude69, Jan 31, 2006.

1. drunkdude69

drunkdude69 New Member

Somehow, my "Bushnell Sportsman Scope 3-9x 40mm 3-2-1-Low Light Reticle" must have received a good hit when I wasn't looking, because it was suddenly shooting 3 feet up and to the right at 50 feet (I know, 50 feet, hey it's an indoor range, it's Cleveland, it's cold here). It was defintely a bend, because when I loosened the rings a little and rotated the scope it had a noticible wobble at the muzzle end. My heart sank. I do not recommend this scope for the price ($60), the tube is too thin. Other features are nice, but for a .22 rifle that is going to see some light-to-moderate abuse I think this scope is not a good choice. By light-to-moderate I mean not treating the rifle like it is part of a nuclear fission device that could explode with one wrong move every time you take it out of the case.

On a positive note, I searched THESE FORUMS and upon review decided to try to bend the scope back and save myself who-knows-how-many dollars for a new scope. When I was diagnosing the problem, eventually the scope AND the rings came off (bad move, leave it all in place with rings loosened a little). So, I remounted the rings as a first step. They are the peep-through kind fourtunately, so my plan was to use the factory sights to realign the scope. I put a leather belt around the receiver in between the scope mounts and stepped on the ends of the belt with the balls of my feet, then grabbed the muzzle-side of the scope and pulled just a little a first. After a light pull, I resighted the scope vs. the facory sights. It needed more pulling, of an almost unnatural kind. At this point, I have to say if you try this don't let frustration rule. I eventually pulled "just the right amount" and the scope has been salvaged. To Ruger's credit, the ring screws didn't rip out of the receiver, and the setting on the iron sights (I have never adjusted the factory rifle sights), were within 1/2 inch at 50 feet. That 1/2 inch is because I am a horrible shot, I'm sure...

In general, I do not recommend this operation, because you could damage your receiver or barrel if you are not careful about anchor points with the straps I mentioned. It helped that I had peep-though sights, so I could put the receiver in a padded vice and check the difference between the factory sights and the scope. However, I am looking forward to getting rid of the peep-through sights because going from 50 feet in a range to 100 yards at "the farm" is about the extent of adjustment on the scope.

drunkdude out,
    hm, counterstrike sounds like fun...
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2006
  2. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

i had one of these scopes, ONCE , ....JUST ONCE!
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

drunkdude69:

You are very lucky you didn't destroy the scope, the scope mounts or damage the receiver of the gun. For $60 saved you risked hundreds of dollars in the rest of the gun!

Here's a tip: Buy the better Bushnells like the Trophy. In general, good well made scopes cost in excess of hundred of dollars. The higher the power the more money. In general cheap Chinese made scopes tend to not be good instruments. Target scopes like I use (4 to 14, 12 fixed, 6 to 18) don't get good until the prices get to about $175 and can cost many times that. Bushnell Trophy's are not bad but they are entry level for good scopes.

Next time ditch the cheapy scope and minimise the potential damage to your gun. If the scope does not lay across the mounts flat at both mounts, don't mount the scope and bend the tube pulling the scope to the gun. Have a gunsmith mount any scope that is not "right". He'll shim the mounts so that the scope is not in a bind.

What you did reminds me of my teenage years where we fit a motorcycle piston to a cylinder with a hammer (rings not gapped properly). You must be beyond those years!

LDBennett
  4. Jim Bell

Jim Bell Guest

That's the most novel way I have ever heard of zeroing in a scope :)
    I wish I could have watched you do it. I've wept tears of laughter immagining your actions. :)
    Jim
  5. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    drunkdude69,

Be prepared for your scope to have a catastrophic failure when you need it most. The torque you applied to straighten the tube has probably caused damage to the internal workings of the unit. I'm not saying you did the wrong thing, saving anything that costs money is a commendable, but it probably was just a act of futility. But, then again, it might work for a long time to come, you never know. Best of luck!
  6. drunkdude69

drunkdude69 New Member

I took the rifle to the range again, and the scope was still "in" after about 1000 rounds. If this was a self-defense or hunting rifle, I would never have tried something like this. But my 10/22 is purely for plinking. I'm not sure if I can justify a $150+ scope on a $150 plinking gun.

If the bending didn't work out, I was going to replace the scope with a cheap BSA red dot I got from midwayusa.c om for $25. I put the red dot on a 22LR pistol (Ruger Mark3). It feels like I'm cheating somehow to shoot a pistol like that, but it's a fun (and cheap) gimmick to keep me occupied on these cold and boring Cleveland evenings.