Berdan Case Reloading

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (6/23/01 8:22:20 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Berdan Case Reloading
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OK, guys, I don't get to this forum much, but I thought I'd post my question here.

I know Berdan Primers are available from Midway.

I've seen a Lachmiller Berdan Depriming tool (should have bought it!!!)

I've read and been told of the "hydraulic" method for decapping, but when I try it with my 8X56R cases, all I get is WET!

This would seem to imply that SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE reloads Berdan cases, right????

My question is, have YOU guys ever heard of anyone that does? I have YET to talk to anyone who does....

WyomingSwede
    (6/24/01 7:56:18 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Berdan Case Reloading
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sorry Polish....To be frank...IMHO it aint worth the trouble. Pick up some decent brass from Midway or Old Western Scrounger and go down the road from there. There are tools out there and folks more expert than I...but there are also more efficient ways of going about it.
    I will take the crimp out of the primer pocket and reuse military brass...but thats about as far as I go. regards swede
    Wyoming Swede

kdubaz
    (6/24/01 5:51:11 pm)
    Ditto, PS -

Never messed around with Berdan primers - used to see decapping tools advertized in some of the old catalogs, but it's been some time since I've noticed any, lately. With all the foreign ammo being purchased now, sure seems someone would realize the nitch market and come out with a kit for them.
    Keep below the ridgeline!

polishshooter
    (6/26/01 10:44:13 am)
    I know Berdan primers are slightly larger, you think you could drill a hole in the center just big enough for the decapping pin to fit and be in business!

I'm on a quest to reload for my mint M95 8x56R, but with the custom dies running over $70, I need to justify the expense first.

I already need to cast, because the wierd rare sized bullets are like $1+ each!!!

If I could reuse brass, it would save even more.

I can get forming dies for like $15 and make them from 7.62x54 cases, I have enough of them, but all I have are Berdan of course. If I track down WW factory brass, I won't see any savings.

kdubaz
    (6/26/01 6:36:25 pm)
    I see where RCBS makes a Berdan decapping fixture.

PS - the Berdan has two small flash holes, as you know. If you drill out the center, you take the anvil post with it. If you are intending on using Berdan primers (have no idea where you'd get them!), you wouldn't be able to ignite them.

As with most surplus arms, once enough of them are being used the ammo makers tumble onto the market and begin supplying both ammo and boxer primed brass. If you just go ahead and shoot the surplus ammo for a while, maybe commercial stuff will soon become available.

oldguide32
    (6/27/01 5:37:23 pm)
    Be careful about ever enlarging a primer hole. You have to work up new loads, all over again. Your chamber pressures will change as the hole size changes.

polishshooter
    (7/1/01 4:25:33 pm)
    That's right, I forgot the anvil was part of the case...

Berdan primers are available from several sources like Midway.

On catalogue, I can't remember which one now even claims Long Range Comp shooters are switching to Berdan because the ignition is more uniform because of the two holes.

THAT I have yet to see, or hear of, anybody doing it. Which kind of was the reason I started this thread in the first place...

...so the answer is, NONE of us has ever heard of ANYONE reloading berdan, right?

kdubaz
    (7/2/01 11:59:14 am)
    Nope, PS -

I've never personally heard or know of anyone in the US reloading Berdan primers. There MUST be some who do, because RCBS and others certainly wouldn't be offering decapping tools.

Why don't you check out RCBS and others for prices, or even list on the Wanted forums on the auction boards? If you have a bunch of reloadable brass and want to keep the unique caliber for your MN's and the M-95, it would probably be a worthwhile investment. What about bullet availability for the M-95? With the anvil post part of the primer pocket, it may present a challenge to clean. Anyway, sounds like a fun project!

davem3
    (7/13/01 12:52:10 am)
    PS-Back in late 60's/70's I loaded Berdan primed cases hundreds of times until I could get Boxer primed cases for my British double rifle. The "hydraulic" method of decaping works very well--but only on straight cases! I have also removed them with a sharp awl but you can also damage the anvil with this method. Don't know anything about the RCBS tool but it should work fine if they make it. Seating is a piece of cake as they are very thin and do not have an anvil-just be carefull not to overdo it. Berdan was an American, just had to take his primer idea overseas to get it accepted.

polishshooter
    (7/14/01 1:01:52 pm)
    And I believe "Boxer" was British if I remember it right, one of the neat ironies in the shooting world.

Thanks, Dave, welcome to the board.

I figured something was wrong with my hydraulic method, the 8x56 have a wierd "sloping" shoulder, so the dowel didn't bear against the case throat very long...it sprayed all the water out no matter how tight the fit.
    Patina is an acquired taste.

julysol
    (3/8/02 1:39:11 am)
    Try a better anvil. Do you have access to a lathe? or know someone who will spin a groove in a stainless steel shaft for a couple of bucks?

Get a piece of stainless rod (preffered) or other steel and turn it just a bit smaller that the I.D. of the neck. Find an o-ring that will seal that size and find out what size groove is needed ( a supplier will have this info in his catalog and tell you about what size clearance you should have on your rod's O.D.) and machine it. This will seal the water in and pop those turkeys right out. So the theory goes. Make sure that there is not air inside the case when you do this. The air will compress and your o-ring may drop below the case neck and you'll get wet again, liquid doesn't compress so the primer should pop way before the o-ring drops below the neck. The o-ring should seal even though your neck has a slight taper to it. If not, try a fatter o-ring. Though you may still get wet after the primer pops out, so make a shield or wrap a shop towel around it each time. Get a bunch of o-rings because you'll probably tare quite a few on the case mouth. They're supper dupper cheap! You may want to size and flare the case mouth a bit first. also resize a few afterwards just to be sure the the hydropressure didn't distort the brass a bit.

If you try it, let me know how it works.

I'm thinking about starting to reload some berdans myself for 303. (That stuff aint cheap for boxer primed brass.) But not for a while yet.

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/8/02 8:03:54 am)
    polishshooter
    isn't S&B brass boxer primed? they make some reasonably priced 7.62X54R

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/8/02 4:24:04 pm)
    Just out of curiosity what kind of pressure does it take to remove a primer in psi? I was just asking because if it is less than 120 psi wouldn't an air compressor work?
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum
    To err is human. But to really screw things up you just about have to have a computer.

Donny Henry
    (3/10/02 11:20:02 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Polish:
    You may want to keep your eye on CheaperThanDirt.com

They sometimes have Berdan decapping tools for just under 45 bucks....I did a quick check...There out of stock at the moment
    ~-~Courage is not the lack of fear...
    but the presence of faith.~-~

Donny Henry
    (3/12/02 7:05:34 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Polish:
    One more if you are interested...

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1809832342

Donny
    ~-~Courage is not the lack of fear...
    but the presence of faith.~-~

Edited by: Donny Henry at: 3/12/02 2:48:40 pm

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/17/02 8:04:35 pm)
    Crap, TOO LATE.

Thanks Donny, shoulda checked here sooner and maybe I would have had a chance to bid on it..went for like $25...

Hi. My name is Mike. And I am a Nagantaholic. "Don't hear him call you an @sshole, hear WHY he's calling you an @sshole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

a81492
    (3/17/02 8:46:10 pm)
    Sweat not, dear fellow. Joey has one o' them critters (only newer) stashed away in his dusty mess of arms paraphernaildya (somewhere). Willin' to trade it off too, as it's no longer needed (nor was it ever - far as I'm concerned !). That unit on eBay was an original Lachmiller - mine is RCBS/Lachmiller, all steel construction, purchased in early 80's. Made some upgrades on it too, like extended holder/handle & HSS drill blank piercing point..... all custom built to make decapping much easier. Please give a yell if ya have sumpthin' to trade: a81492@netscape.net

best,
    joey

Ammo Guy Paul
    (8/12/02 5:11:08 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Reload Berdan Primers
    Hi,
    RCBS makes a berdan decapping tool. Lee now has dies for the 8x56R. No more getting @#*+ by the sneutty die makers. Old Western Scrounger has the berdan primers. Be happy, reload.

The Ammo Guy :cool:

"Aim small, miss small."

Ross95966
    (8/12/02 6:50:40 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Reload Berdan Primers
    The biggest problem with the Berdan primers in the US is availability, Old Western Scrounger being the only source left that I know of. The price is high too.
    If you have a scarce case, the hydraulic method works well if you use an eight pound hammer and are not timid giving it a smack. A fairly close fitting piston helps, as does a rag wrapped around the case mouth, but it is the velocity of the hammer that does the job. It is well to support the case in a die.
    By the way, the Lachmiller tool is still covered under RCBS warranty.