Berdan primed .45 auto?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by circa1885, Sep 26, 2012.

1. circa1885

circa1885 New Member

I deprime and clean brass before reloading and in some miscellaneous .45 brass I found an odd berdan primed what appears to be .45 case. Nothing I have will take picture close up. The base has the following numbers and letters: clockwise from a vertical 57 at 3:00,a horizontal I at 6:00, a vertical 1 at 9:00, and a horizontal SF at 12:00. No big deal just curious what it could be. can anyone help?
  2. JAS

JAS New Member

If you do a search for berdan primers they will tell you what most of these codes are and where they are made. I had and have more that are Argentine with a date of 1978.
    Nothing wrong with them,but if they are old ones i think before 1960 they may be a corrosive type primer .How did you deprime them usually need a different type of die or hydraulic method.And they are not a standard size primer.Should have 2 flash holes inside.Thats about all I can tell you.
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

If it looks like this one, it was made by Societe Francaise des Munitions (France) but I have no idea what the numbers are unless it is the date of manufacture.

Attached Files:

4. circa1885

circa1885 New Member

Berdan Primed 45 auto?

While cleaning old 45 brass of unknown origin I found what appears to be a Berdan primed piece. I manually deprime before cleaning so there was no damage to the depriming pin in the press. Around the base are the letters and numbers as follows: 57,I,1,SF. Not an expert on 45 ammo by any means but this seems kind of odd. Can anyone tell me what it is?
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

6. circa1885

circa1885 New Member

Thanks to both of you, the headstamp in the picture is the same as mine except 57 instead of 56. Sorry for the apparent duplications but my posts seem to wind up in cyberspace somewhere I can't find them.