Berdan primers (looking for)

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by bygred1, Jan 4, 2008.

1. bygred1

bygred1 New Member

I've got two Swiss K-31's and have accumulated a few hundred fired GP-11 berdan primed cases. I've had good luck depriming the cases hydraulicly. I'd like to reload these cases but I'm having trouble locating berdan primers. Can anyone tell me where I can purchase these primers. I tried Grafs & Sons. They said maybe in the near future. No luck with Midway either.
    Thanks ----bygred1@comcast.net
  2. Berdans are becoming hard to get in the U.S, bygred. PMC (manufactured in Russia) used to import them, but that company went down the tubes in 2006. RWS still makes them, but no longer exports them to the U.S. Graffs was the only place I know of who handled them, but they seem to be having problems getting them as well. Wolf makes them, but apparently does not export them to the U.S. at present. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
  3. bygred1

bygred1 New Member

Thanks for your reply. -Bygred1
  4. conifer

conifer New Member

I have some Berdan large rifle primers....but don't know how many (several hundred), I recall they were costly (sent from Germany to me), but dunno what I paid.....I use them in a 9.3x72R ....tho' rarely.....maybe can sell you some. Any thoughts on price???
    Alex
    aax1@bellsouth.net
  5. Dakota Red 1

Dakota Red 1 New Member

Hi bygred, How is hydraulic depriming accomplished? Maybe if enough reloaders ask for berdan primers we will get them. I know I would give it a shot if decapping is practical.
  6. bygred1

bygred1 New Member

Hi, Dakota Red 1. I haven't been on line since just after posting. Sorry. Check out the following website. It shows you how to make your own hydraulic decaper. I get about 6 decapped in a minute, once I got the feel for it. My problem is that I haven't found a place to obtain the primers. For the price of ammo these days, I think it's worth it. Besides I'd rather be doing something productive, like reloading rather than wasting time watching too much tv. I find reloading good theropy while recovering from some recent surgery.
  7. bygred1

bygred1 New Member

8. Dakota Red 1

Dakota Red 1 New Member

Thanks for the info bygred1! It looks very interesting and do-able. I was delivered an order of GP-11 rounds this week and it would be a shame to have nothing but scrap brass after it is fired. It is finely crafted ammo.
    I have emailed the Old Western Scrounger to let them know I'm a potential customer for Berdan primers. There is also a reloading supplier here in Kansas, Powder Valley Inc., who I have asked to look into getting them. If I have any luck I will let you kow.
    I hope all is going well with your recovery, ---Mike
    p.s.
    Also emailed Midway USA. Surprised to see a reply this morning...they work Sundays. They will consider the request. I bet they are the best shot on this and if enough of us bug them, they will get us some.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductrequest.exe/request
    1/23/2008 Got a positive response from Graf's, they are looking for some.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  9. Oohrah

Oohrah New Member

Your method to deprime is about the only way I know of to
    remove the primer with out breaking the center post between the
    two flash holes. However, these primers are larger in size so primer
    arm punch for seating the new primer is undersized. Did some of
    these many years ago using the old Lymon 310 nutcracker type
    loader for the Brittish 303. To me, very time consuming and other
    than if there were no other way, it wasn't worth just using once fired
    or new USA brass. :(
  10. gandog56

gandog56 Member

I gave up trying to find Berdan primers in the US. I sent a few emails to foreign manufacturers, but never got any replies.