beretta 1931

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by sarzak, Mar 28, 2006.

1. sarzak

sarzak New Member

what is the going prices of a beretta 1931 navy?
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

According to the Standard Catalog of Military Firearms:

Exc. - $450
    V.G. - $375
    Good - $275
    Fair - $200
    Poor - $150
  3. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Yes, the above valuations are right out of the book, but this is one of those pistols which are almost impossible to find, and one in nice condition will cost significantly more than the prices shown. One of the writers of the Standard Book of Firearms confided to me that they jack up the prices in the book just before publication, and the minute the book comes out the prices are obsolete. Collectible guns are rapidly going out of sight.
  4. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

Hello Wonderwhippet,

Price and identification guides are just that guides. There are many reasons why the guides differ from our experiences and most guides try to explain this. These guides are the result of many volunteers that offer descriptions and values based on their colllecting sppecialties and hopefully their experience in the market. Perhaps some are unscrupulous and want the prices higher to support an ego trip about their collections. I certainly have no evidence that this is happening.

I have been a contributor to the Standard Catalog of Firearms for about six years. Originally I simply wanted to correct errors in teh descriptions and photos and not worry about the prices. The editor would not go along with that since he needed both. I was eventually persuaded that although there were many reasons why the prices may not be exactly correct and would not have any real influelce on the experienced collector, they might keep a novice from making a grevious error. I do the research on the descriptions but I rely on nine fellow members of the HSCA who provide input on the prices. These fellow collectors have different slants on the values and different views on which are the most difficult to find. I average the values given to me and then forward the se averaged values to the editor. Never has the editor taken exception to or changed the prices submitted by me.
    I realize that many contributors submit their individual opinions which may skew their values based on their own experiences. However, since it is unlikely that there will ever be a national system that records the sale prices and a precise grade to that opinion is replaced by an overall price/condition history, these annual guides are the best we are likely to have.

The contributing editors to these guides spend a lot of time and effort in their effort to improve these guides with only a free copy of the new guide and their name listed as a contributor as compensation.