Beretta 1934

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Darren42, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Darren42

Darren42 New Member

Curious of value for this one .............

MANUFACTURER : P BERETTA

MODEL : 1934

SERIAL # F25585

CALIBER: .9

OTHER SIDE OF GUN SAYS:

PBERETTA CAL .9 CORTO MO 1934 BREVET

Thanks Val :)

Attached Files:

2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

many were made as a "service weapon" but those are normally marked as such, with a crest . 1942 ? not sure how this one doesn't show one. someone with more knowledge will come along and help you out. but looking on a few auction sites it seems like these in about the same condition go between 250 and 350 ..... it might have more value based on the year it was made 1942 ??? and for the record a 9mm corto is a 380
  3. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

This is definitely a military issue pistol in .380 caliber. These are usually marked on the rear of the frame near the hammer with the branch of service to which it was issued. The marking I see in this position appears to be the letters "AL". There may be a C before the AL, which might be an importer's stamp. This is a new one on me, so I would like to see a real closeup photo of this marking.
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The Model 1934 was sold commercially, both before and during the war.
  5. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

and long after the war too,
  6. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Alright my man what you have here is the Beretta 1934 in 380 manufactured in in 1942. That much you know. Here is waht you dont know. The AL on the back of the frame means that your firearm was issued to Military Personell in Africa. Now the AL was also sold to civilians but not as many. Beretta turned out so many of these between 1942 and 1944 that it is hard to track where they were shipped and to whom they served and issued tehm to as a service weapon. Clean the thing up a bit and get the crud out of the ribbs on the slide give it a good lube job and call it a day.Value on this one according to the book is between 350 and 450 pending, value to a dealer will be much less. My advise is to keep it. These are Durable little guns. They have a great finish in them and a hard finish to boot. It is fairly accurate as a shooter for as small as it is. The only problem with it you will find is it wont like to feed Hydroshock or Ballistic tip ammo (Hallow Point or flat nosed). You will have to feed it a steady diet of round nosed or ball ammo and feed it anything, it will shoot them all the same.
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I don't feel any need to come off like a TV drill sergeant, and the African connection is new to me, but the pistol is clearly marked "RE" for Regio Esercito (Royal Army), so it was defintely an Italian Army service pistol.

Those were one of the simplest as well as the most rugged and reliable pistols in the world and should serve well as a defense gun. Its only drawback is the operation of the safety, which requires a 180 degree turn, possible but awkward with the shooting hand. Like all service pistols, they were designed for FMJ bullets and may not always function well with HP or soft point ammo.

Jim
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  8. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

The L, RL and two others were used for the African base operations. Reason beeing was due to shipping logistics only, it was simply easier to ship to Africa from Italy then from Germany that is why so many Axis soldiers in Africa had Italian Militay Weapons. Now if I am wrong on the stamp then so be it I am wrong, My eyes aint all that good anyhoo LOL. If it is RE then yes Jim Is absolutly right. Either way enjoy it cuz it is a very well made and easy to maintain handgun.
  9. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Yes, RE means army issue, but I can't make it out.
  10. Darren42

Darren42 New Member

The AP is correct .....its also RE not RL ...thanks guys for the info though...you have all been very helpful. I think I will keep it for the moment.....alittle scared about firing it though.

Attached Files:

11. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Germans in Africa had Italian weapons? News to me and sounds like there would have been a lot of very zornig German soldiers if they got Carcanos instead of Mausers.

It was the opposite, in fact, with some Italian units being issued German weapons because Italian ammunition supply was so haphazard. (Note that those Italian carbines reworked to fire 7.9 ammunition were from the late desperate days of the war, not (as some ads said) for issue to Italian units in Africa.)

In any event, the Germans never made much use of the Model 1934 for two reasons. The Italians were allies and they got all the pistols Beretta could make. Even after the Italians changed sides, few Model 1934s were used by the Germans for the simple reason that 9mm Kurz was not in their military/police supply system.

Jim
  12. Darren42

Darren42 New Member

Thanks for the info I have decided to keep this gun as Big Ugly suggested (love the name ).
    I tried to oil it today to get the metal alittle cleaner ...but with little success.
    Thanks once again for the help in identifying it.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010