The Firearms Forum banner

Beretta 21 Bobcat 22lr??

12K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  farcus 
#1 ·
Does anyone have one, shot one, know anything about them? I've looked for on-line reviews- they are a mixed bag. People on TFF seem to know more about guns than anywhere else. What does anybody think?
I used to have a Beretta Tomcat/32acp and liked it. But I can get the Bobcat for $265 compared to $377 for the Tomcat. 22lr seems really small, but I've found some 22 ammo from Remington- yellow jacket 22- of course it has a lot more velocity than 32acp- it also produces a lot more muzzle energy. Would this Bobcat be a reliable and viable little mouse gun??
Appreciate any input.

#2 ·
i have the fore-runner to the bobcat model 21 i have a model 20, it's almost the same gun i like it and it has worked real well with hardly any issues . but it is ammo sensitive working real well with the cci stingers. now about your remark the yellow jacket being more powerful than a 32acp yes maybe faster but not more energy.... if the numbers show that it has to be a misprint

#3 ·
personally i would rather have the 25 acp version because centerfire is less prone to having misfires than rimfire.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I've only had 1 22lr pistol (traded away).It seemed to have a lot of mis-fires. The 22lr ammo is at bud's gun shop- they are claiming 1500 ft per sec and 165 ft lbs of energy. That's quite a bit more energy than the other 22's. Do you think that's wrong? Looking at basic 32acp- their ft lbs of energy come in a little lower (which surprised me) and led to this post.

#6 ·
wow i guess one is never to old to learn, i had some free time and looked up 22 lr vs. 32acp ballistics. the remington yellow jacket 22 lr 33 gr travels at 1500 fps with a muzzle energy of 165 fp while the average 32acp 71 gr fmj travels at 900 fps with only 128 fp of energy. even the hottest self defense stuff from corbon travels 1050 fps and has muzzle energy of 147 fp

#7 ·
misfires in rimfire depends a lot on the quality of ammo. cci mini mags are my choice load for 22 defensive pistols.

#8 ·
wow i guess one is never to old to learn, i had some free time and looked up 22 lr vs. 32acp ballistics. the remington yellow jacket 22 lr 33 gr travels at 1500 fps with a muzzle energy of 165 fp while the average 32acp 71 gr fmj travels at 900 fps with only 128 fp of energy. even the hottest self defense stuff from corbon travels 1050 fps and has muzzle energy of 147 fp
Oscar, what barrel length are they using to get those numbers?

22, being a rifle round, is usually tested in 22 to 24" barrels. You won't have anywhere near that velocity and energy, shooting it in a 2" mouse gun.

3ACP, however, being a pistol round, is usually tested in 3 or 4" barrels.

#9 ·
you know what you're right i went back and checked because i didn't believe the numbers. the 22 was tested in a 24 in barrel the 32acp in a 3 in barrel. i feel better now because it now makes sense. found the numbers for a 22lr shot from a 4in barrel revolver 1180 fps with 105 muzzle energy

#12 ·
I won the bid on a Beretta 21 A in 22 LR on ********* for $146.00. It's at my FFL dealer now and I pick it up this Monday. I didnt get it for carry but for plinking cans up close and generally having fun with. From my online research it sounds like they need a regular cleaning and and the prefered ammo choice being CCI 22 LR Mini Mags overall.

#13 ·
Rick O'Shay,
I have a Beretta 21 Bobcat, and it is one of my favorite rim fire guns to shoot. Mine will eat any .22LR ammo without a hiccup. I was told that a lot of LEOs in this part of the country carry them as BUGs.
I think you will like it. If you plan on using it for an occasional CCW, you will like the fact that it is safe to carry because of the long DA trigger pull.
My 2 cents worth. :D:D
Old Gun Guy

#15 ·
Picked up my Bobcat tonight. I think it was a little while since it's been shot it was quite gummed up. I took it apart and hit it with some Tettra Action Blaster, oiled it up and used some Tettra Grease on the slide and it's opperating in top shape. The barrel and chamber look to be in great shape. I cant shoot it until Wed. night but will let you know how it does. Dbl. action and single action are smooth and light compared to what I thought I was going to get. Looks like it was carried alot from the finish wear.

#18 ·
I like the little Bobcat. Accurate little sucker too. The only thing I dont like about it is the bloody thing is LOUD for a 22.

#19 ·
i was introduced to the bobcat 21 at the range one day.

my range pard bought one for his now deceased father and decided to blow the dust off of it and shoot it.

i really liked this gun.

and i second the comment that it is accurate.
only a 1" or 1 1/4" inch barrel but i was hitting beer cans on the plinking range at 20 yards!

wish i could fine one for $146.00!

that's a steal.

sewerman

#22 ·
I've got one, and have had it out a couple times. It is accurate, even though it is the first, or in spite of the fact that it is the first handgun that I've ever shot. It is rather loud, a friend tells me because it has a short barrel.

The first time I took it out, I just loaded it with Federal, from the 525 round box. It was brand new, and the mag was rather dry. Every time I fillled the magazine, the first bullet would FTE. I thought about things for a few minutes, after I got tired of that...and oiled the bullets and mag, did some oiling of the gun as well. It was a lot better after that.

I very well may have been limp wristing the first round, as well.

I like the gun, it will fit in my pocket very nicely once I've got the CCW permit. Fun stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.