Beretta 9000S F40

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

75BDdude
    (9/15/02 9:51:34 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Beretta 9000S F40
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I recently picked one of these baby's up. Does anyone else here have experience with this pistol? I've only put a box of ammo through it so far. It functioned flawlessly, but seemed to shoot low and a bit left. (couldn't be the operator.... )Does anyone know if a steel guide rod is available for this gun? Thanks for any help!!

kornhauser
    (10/17/02 7:18:38 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del 9000s
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My department switched to the 9000S for the investigators and brass. The department was looking for a smaller pistol for them since they were mostly plain clothes.

The general comments once they got them? They hated them. While the gun is smaller than the Beretta 96F us uniform guys carry, the 9000S is wider. That made a whole bunch of problems to find holsters that are not yet on the market. Also, the de-cock level works opposite of other automatic handguns, (hence, you de-cock up rather than down). This made the gun uniformly unsafe without a ton of training. Last, the pistol is accurate only up to fifteen yards. After that, my supervisor said it was best just to throw the damn thing down range.

As to it shooting left, that's not you. It's the heavy trigger pull and the wider grip causing your hand to stretch. Get used to it.

75BDdude
    (10/19/02 9:44:30 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del 9000s
    Thanks for the info. My experiences are much like yours. However I don't find the de-cocker going in the opposite direction to be a problem at all. My view is that de-cocking is done in a non-stress situation only, so why is it such a big deal. As for the accuracy, it generally bites with factory ammo. And the stupid thing was shooting 9" low at 15 yards with 180gr bullets, a foot low with 150's. I called Beretta and was told to send it back and they'd look at it. I didn't want to be without the thing for a month so I've filed the front site myself, drifted the rear sight over, and it seems to be doing fine now. But, you shouldn't have to do that on a $440 brand new pistol from a storied manufacturer.....

75BDdude
    (10/25/02 10:52:49 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Beretta 9000S F40 - Update
    Well... I took the toad to the range after filing the front sight. I had it hitting about 2" low at 15 yards. It was still spraying groups about 6" across at that distance with several cheap factory rounds and some reloads. Surpise.... I fired some reloads with 135gr Nosler JHP in front of 7.2 grs of Accurate #2 and the groups measured about 2" across!!! I fired several mags full of other rounds and came back to those with the same results. Cool!!! I will work on this, along with a couple other powders I have and see if I can make any improvements.

PS... No failures of any kinds with all the different loads I tried. I used 4 different bullet wieghts and 3 different powders in my reloads. That's not counting the Federal American Eagle I was shooting also.

Beretta9
    (2/2/03 3:02:08 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Beretta 9000S F40
    I bought a 9000s a couple weeks ago, starting to like it better each time I use it. Shot a box of Remington 115 gr +p+, 124gr Hydrashok +p+, and Winchester 115gr in the 100 pack. All shot inside 4 inches at 15 yards in the standing position. That would not be too good if I was a marksman and had fired a few thousand rounds through it. But for my first semi-auto I don't think it is too bad. It started out shooting to the left, so I moved the rear sight to the right a little, worked great. Also no malfunctions.

Edited by: Beretta9 at: 2/3/03 12:22:38 pm

75BDdude
    (2/6/03 10:00:37 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Beretta 9000S F40
    I too am beginning to really like my 9000S. While the 2 cheap factory loads I have fired in it still shoot like poo poo, my various reloads seem to do quite well. The only problem is... I can only shoot it well while resting it on bags at the bench. Offhand shooting is a challenge. I think, like someone previously stated... it's the nasty trigger. BUT... that trigger is smoothing out as time goes by. I really like the way the gun handles and feels in my hand.... I just still can't shoot it worth a crap !! But the way I look at it, I can still sink all 10 .40 rounds into center mass of a silhouette at 15 yards....
  2. rnshooter

rnshooter New Member

i have had my 9000s in .40 for about a year and a half now and right from the get go i was putting 1.5-2.0" groups at 15 yards through the gun. i also have a 96fs in .40 with hogue wrap around grips so the grip of the 9000s was no problem for me, despite my small hands. i use UMC factory ammo 180 gr.

be safe