Beretta 92 Hammer Pin Marks

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by DiveFlyFun, Jan 28, 2012.

1. DiveFlyFun

DiveFlyFun New Member

I recently failed to clean my Beretta after going to the range and returned a week latter. Naturally it started to jam and when I went to clean it I noticed marks/scratches that where straight lines on the hammer pin.
    Is this normal?
    Thanks
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Dive,
    Welcome to the forum. Can you provide a little more info on WHERE the marks are and what they look like???? Do you mean the pin that holds the hammer in the frame or the firing pin ?????
  3. DiveFlyFun

DiveFlyFun New Member

Thanks for welcome and quick reply. Here are the pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Moderator

Thats normal. Eventually it will wear in a perfect circle around the outer edge of the hammer pin

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  5. DiveFlyFun

DiveFlyFun New Member

Thanks...Feel a lot better now!!!
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Hey Helix
    Knowing that the "milling" will eventually be done by the gun - why the hell doesn't Beretta do one more step and cantilever the hammer pin during production. Just doesn't seem right to me to have the gun do that hard work.
  7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Moderator

its bc beretta uses that frame for all varients FS/D/M/DC. The one he has is either the DA only model or the FS with the firing pin block safety. Beretta also uses that frame for the Decocker model that has a wide body safety and is pinned together. the big reason is bc the grips are what retain the pin so they oversize the pin and let it work in the the action. If they under cut the pin and have a loose fitting grip, the pin can drift out. The marks actually come from the slide in the disconnect notch. Sig does the same thing with the P250, 226 and 229. Loose grips on those models can cause some issues too.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  8. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Helix,
    I hear ya! Thanks for the info.