Beretta 92 Pistols - Learning How They Work

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by hoppy70, May 5, 2012.

1. hoppy70

hoppy70 New Member

During my study and research of the Beretta 92 Pistols I have found the following statements that I am having some concerns as to which are not true. Can you list which statements are not true? Thanks for your help.

1. Note #5. A tapered hole in the locking block causes the unlocking action to be activated.-
    2. Note #13. On models with a frame mounted safety, the safety blocks the sear.
    3. Note #17. The trigger bar is also the disconnector.
    4. Note #20. The extractor doesn't always have to extract.
    5. Note #22. The take down latch release button must be pushed before rotating the takedown latch in order to take the slide off of the frame
    6. Note #23. When taking out the mainspring (hammer spring) it is best to have the hammer cocked.
    7. Note #28. For a left-handed shooter, the serrated end of the magazine catch should be on the left hand side of the gun.
    8. Note #29. A slave pin is required for installing the trigger and the trigger spring back into the frame.
    9. Note #32. When the manual safety that is on the slide is turned on, the hammer drops.
    10. Note #34. The firing pin is shorter than its housing.
    11. Note #38. On the version with the manual safety that is located on the slide, the firing pin locking safety is held in by a cross pin.
    12. Note #40. The grips must be on in order to install the magazine catch back into the frame.

Again thanks for your help!
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  3. hoppy70

hoppy70 New Member

Thanks for you help and information about the Beretta 92 Pistols. When you say "yes" do you mean true? From your answers, I believe that questions 2,4,6,7,11, and 12 are all false? Is this correct. Thanks!
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

yes=true. The others I would not always consider false bc parts of it could be true but not all of it.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I thought I posted this before,but it somehow got lost.

On #5, the hole is not in the locking block but in the barrel foot and contains a plunger that cams the locking block down when the barrel strikes the frame on the backward movement. It is a slight modification of the system used in the Walther P.38.

Jim