Beretta 92

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by berrde, Dec 8, 2010.

1. berrde

berrde New Member

hi, i have had a beretta 92 for about 2 months, i am not real familiar with a semi pistol, i have trouble with the slide, 90 percent of the time i can not retract the slide meaning i can not cock the pistol or chamber a round, i have had it apart a dozen times, and maybe 1 out 12 it works, i have read the manual, i need help
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Try cocking the hammer back, then retracting the slide. That might make is a little easier. What exactly do you mean when you say 1 out of 12 works? You have taken it apart and you can't get it back together but 1 out of 12 times or you can't retract the slide but 1 out of 12 times?
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

depending on the type of sights, if you have trouble racking the slide you can snag the rear sight on the edge of a table or boot and use it to rack the slide.
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

A gun that is hard to function for the user is useless to the user. How are your gripping the slide to rack it? The pinch method on the back of the side never works well. Use the hand over method to use your full hand strength to grip the slide and rack it buy using your chest muscles like a butterfly weight machine. Use your chest muscels to rack it, not your fingers. Practice with snap caps or without the mag in. And remember when doing this with live ammo, do it with your body sideways to the target so the muzzle is towards the target. If your not having any luck, get back. They may be something mechanically wrong. Beretta 92's are not terribly hard to rack when say compared to a heavy recoil spring 1911.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Helix is spot on, if you cant operate the weapon its useless to you. I would recommend you trade it in on one of the many lightweight revolvers in .38 spec. The .38 is very close to the 9mm in power. and with speedloaders and lots of practice you could be fast and efficent with it...
  6. johnlives4christ

i would not recommend a lightweight 38 though josh. they are quite rough often with recoil compared to a steel framed model.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

ill agree with you there john, but for their intended purpose (personal defence), youd not likely notice the extra recoil, and for range purposes they become quite weildy with practice. My 5'2" wife is a perfect example, Her dad bought her mom a ruger LCR in .38 spec last year, first words out of my wifes mouth was, too much recoil, but by the end of the first box of shells she had learned the revolver and didnt want to put it down, the recoil had become neglegent with a minimum amount of accimilation with the weapon. and shes a very amall statured shooter. She has the same problem with autos as the OP, she isnt strong enough to grip the slide and rack it, therefore she favors wheelguns. Lord only knows how much money I have spent finding what fits that woman. She particularly likes the sp101 rugers in the new .327 mag. And ill admit they are very nice, even for a mouse gun...;)
  8. johnlives4christ

the OP didnt state the intended purpose of the gun but i would think weight would only be an issue if carrying .

sounds like your wife and mine are about the same size... she cant shoot my smith 642 comfortably unless it's loaded with pretty light ammo... even then she is uncomfortable with it.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

she just needs more rangetime with it john. find her a .22 cal identical to it in size shape and function. That will build her confidence in the design and operation of the weapon.
  10. berrde

berrde New Member

hi. like i should have said i am new to the functions of a semi pistol, i have a blister on my hand from trying to activate slide, i am so dumb, i was trying to push on the barrel, instead of grabbing the slide, i thought of this went i woke up this morning, i got the gun out, placed my sore hand on the slide and it works everytime, i have banged my head on the wall several times for being so dumb.
  11. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Well at least you got it. You would have figured it out after shooting a mag through it and then grabbing the barrel to rack it. Then you'll have blisters from the burns. Glad ya got it and now we have a new shooter on our hands.:D Good to have your on board. ;) Beretta 92's are some of my favorite actions not to mention one of the best looking IMO.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Im right there with helix on the 92s. fantastic handguns IMO and seeexay!