Beretta 92FS

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Insulation Tim, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I was watching a show about the Beretta company and it showed them making 92FS's from start to finish.

I would like some insight from some of the users out there. I like the fact that it is a 9mm in the 1911 style with the safety. I'm not so enamored with my Glock 19.

Thanks in advance for your comments; Good or Bad.
  2. 40CalJoe

40CalJoe New Member

Having some experience with both Tim, I will give a couple of thoughts.

The 92 is a metal framed gun, which makes it heavier than the 19. The added weight usually helps reduce the recoil back to the shooter. The 92 is a good shooter and reliable. It fits my hand well. The first shot in DA is a heavier pull than the SA shots that follow. The 92 is a 4.9" barell which also adds to a longer sight line and ususally means more accuracy.

The 92 is built and meant to be a full size tactical use weapon and not practical for conceal carry. The 19 is a compact gun (4" barell) and can be used a conceral carry weapon or used for duty purposes. Both have a 15 shot capability. The 19 is a polymer framed, lighweight gun. I find the drawback to the 19 to be the same as all Glock pistols, the trigger pull. Through training and practice this can be dealt with. Both guns are way more accurate than I am.

The bottom line for me is, I will ALWAYS use a Glock pistol for my personal protection because of the ease of operation. I do not like external safties on a personal protection gun. I am very confident with the three automatic and independant safties built into each Glock pistol (trigger, firing pin and drop safties).

Both the 92 and 19 are very good pistols. Good luck.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call a Beretta "1911 style with the safety". The safety works backwards from a 1911 (down is on, up is off), it is a decocker, and the gun itself is double action.

I, personally, think a safety on a DA pistol is unneeded. I teach people to use one to use the safety as a decocker only. To immediately after the hammer is down take the safety off. A Beretta with the hammer down no more needs a safety than a S&W Model 10 does. Some versions come with a "decocker only". The lever is spring-loaded. Push it down, the hammer drops, take you thumb off and the lever springs back up. This is the only way, to my mind, that makes sense.

I have both a 92 and a 96 (9mm and 40). They both work fine. They would not be my first choice for going into harm's way, but I'd choose either of them before I would a Glock. As 40CalJoe said, they are large holster guns, not small concealable guns. It does help, when choosing which gun to use, to compare apples to apples.
  4. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

Excellent comments. Ditto.

As far as dependability and such the weapons are good. Their accuracy is what I call combat grade - a feel it is a little better than Glock - but less than the 1911 (a good one that is). They are a great weapon, great range weapon, home defense weapon, not so good for a CCW weapon though ...
  5. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i have always wanted a beretta 92
  6. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

The current Beretta 92 has almost nothing in common with the 1911 design.

The original B92 circa 1970's could be described as as a high capacity (aka Double Stack magazine) close copy of a Walther P38 with a Browning type manual safety. It was developed from an earlier Beretta single column mag. design pistol that had its basic barrel/slide locking system copied off of the P38 in the late 1940's or early 50's.

Of course the US Army decided that they might as well get it made with a Walther type de-cocking safety. But, they did insist on a 1911 type location for the mag. release button.

The B92 family of pistols are not a bad design for their intended purposes. However, if one does a little internet research one will find that slides can be expected to fail at about 30K shots per U S Military endurance tests.

A true blue print meeting mil-spec 1911 is a more rugged and long lived pistol. The USA was ill advised to leave it (for political reasons). I understand that the U S Marines want it back.
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

It was true that the first Beretta 92 SB/F purchased by the military had slide failures (cracks) after around 30K shots, that was supposed to have been corrected in the subsequent purchases. Beretta stated that the cause of the slide failure was caused by over pressured ammo.

I have a 92FS that I bought in about 1992/93 and I really love the pistol. It is accurate and reliable as it has never had a failure of any kind. I have nowhere near 30,000 round through it yet, so I don't guess I will live to see if it will ever have a slide failure.:D:D
  8. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

Well, first off, Glocks are junk. (have at you Glocknut)

I had a Beretta 92FS for a few years. It was my first handgun. I shot about 15k rounds through it. It developed a crack in the front part of the frame (they call it a dust cover or something like that). I really enjoyed shooting the gun.

I called Beretta for advice. The guy literally told me: "Take the gun out on the sidewalk, hit it a few good times with a large hammer then throw it away." I was astonished at the unprofessional behavior. My reply, "You just prompted me to never buy another Beretta product ever again."

That is true I will not buy from that manufacturer ever again. My sister has the Taurus PT92 in stainless and she really likes it. Plus it has a lifetime warranty. I had issues with a Taurus 605 revolver. Taurus fixed the gun, but it took them two months and customer service is not their biggest priority.

My advice, sell the Block, oh I mean Glock. Buy a Springfield XD. Great company backing the product, awesome features, and rock solid reliability.

PS. The slide was fine, never had any cracks in it.
  9. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Beretta is the world's oldest firearms manufacturer.

They make some very high quality products, and have always behaved in a responsible and businesslike manner when I have dealt with them (but it did take a little prodding once, with a service rep).

If you have an early Model 92 (that you are putting a lot of rounds through), they would like to get it back to fit a new slide to it.
  10. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks for all of the insights. I think that the 92FS is going on the "Wish List".
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

great weapons. I will be adding another to my collection soon...;)
  12. raveneap

raveneap New Member

In 1988 prior to retiring I was issued a Beretta 92FC as my departmental weapon. When I retired several years later I was able to purchase it and did so. Today, 21 years later, it functions as smoothly and as well as it did the day it came out of the box. I've also owned a 96 and found that to be a great handgun too. Here's the 92.

[​IMG]
  13. Michael Anderson

Michael Anderson New Member

I've shot with a Beretta M9 in the Navy for over 18 years. After recently returning from my third BOG deployment to the Middle East, I decided to purchase one for myself. I love it! Of course, it's mainly because I've become so familiar with it, breakdown and cleaning, and I shoot EXPERT with it.

I've just got my Florida concealed weapons permit, along with a comfortable leather Galco concealed belt holster, and although it is a full size and heavy handgun, It is not too difficult to conceal. And I'm used to wearing jeans with a thick belt already. I wear a long sleeve over-shirt, with the arms rolled up, which drapes over my hips nicely while standing and/or walking.

I definitely do not forget that it is there! When I sit, I may have to shift my holster a tad bit for comfort, otherwise, no big deal. It may sound odd, but Its weight, and it being a full size accurate handgun, gives me a greater sense of security, plus I use MEC-GAR 20rd mags and Power Balls for greater reassurance!

I may soon get a S&W .38 Airlight as a backup, but I'm very happy with my Beretta! :)
  14. Michael Anderson

I'd like to add one more comment to my last post.

Even though some of you may think it is redundant to have an external safety on a concealed firearm, having one on my Beretta 92FS is comforting in my opinion. It takes the worry of an accidental discharge out of my mind. I've trained enough with it, that it has become instinctual for me to flip the safety up with my thumb during the draw out of my holster. For the less trained, I suppose it could be problematic.
  15. 40CalJoe

40CalJoe New Member

To insinuate a person is lesser trained because they don't perfer an external safety is simply ignorant.
  16. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Ignorant is not the word that jumped into my mind. Arrogant, maybe, but not ignorant.
  17. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

How about a faster draw? You go ahead and fumble your dumb safety, meanwhile I will keep my finger out of the trigger-guard until I am ready to fire.

No matter how many safeties a gun has, the ultimate safety is a brain.
  18. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I have no problem with safeties. They're nice to have. My 1911s, Luger, Broomhandle, Ruger 22s, Colt and Savage pocket pistols all have safeties, and I use all of 'em. But my Walthers, Berettas and my Makarov never have the safety used as such. Hammer drop and then immediately take it back off. Safeties on a double action auto that has a decocker make as much sense as safeties on lever action Winchesters or Marlins, or a safety on a revolver. It is not needed. If you want to use it because it makes you feel safer, by all means do so. It is pretty dang hard to accidentally shoot yourself when the safety is on, on the Beretta. Even harder if you carry it with the safety on and the chamber empty. And, of course, if you don't take any ammo with you at all, you are just about perfectly safe. :)
  19. 40CalJoe

40CalJoe New Member

I have no problem with them either. Love my Springfield Loaded 1911 and I learned how shoot pistols with an old Colt 1911 30 years ago.But I made a decision 5 years ago, that my conceled carry gun would be a Glock. The main reason for this was due to an accident which the thumb on my shooting hand got mashed and as a result i have very little feeling in my thumb now.

How did we end up so far removed from the OP's original question? I believe he recieved some good information to help him make a decision on the 92. Time to put this one to bed.:)
  20. Michael Anderson

Sorry guys, I didn't mean for my statement to come off sounding arrogant. Many off you are probably much more experienced with firearms, than am I. My experience just happens to be more related to the Beretta 9mm. This is a great forum, and I appreciate all the knowledge that goes into it.:D

All I was trying to say was that while I am carrying a Condition I weapon (round chambered), I feel more comfortable having that external safety there. Then, I'm just a click away from firing my weapon.

And yes, I think we have beaten this one into the ground!