Beretta 96 Magazine Question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 23, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

A Professional
    (10/21/01 11:12:33 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Question about my Beretta Pistola
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I recently purchaced my first handgun, a Beretta 96G Elite 2 in .40 caliber. Of course, the first thing I went looking for, were any pre-ban high capacity clips I could find, as they are becoming more rare each passing day.

Well I've found loads of 92 hi-cap mags (mostly 9mm), but only 1 pair of 96 mags, which im still bidding on My question is will any of the model 92 magazines fit my new 96G?

My manual is for a Beretta 92, which came with a seperate page showing the 96G changes, but dosent offer any answers. I'd like to assume the 92 clips are compatiable, but I dont wanna stock up on alot of $50-80 clips that are useless

TallTLynn
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/21/01 11:31:49 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Question about my Beretta Pistola
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I wouldn't think they would be compatible. And of course the 9mm ones wouldn't at all.

There are after market mags out there and I know they work for my 92F Beretta as I've bought several and have yet to have a problem with them.

You might want to check around as that would be a less costly way to go than to hunt for factory mags.

You might also want to search for the official Beretta site online. They might have the answer there as well.

AntiqueDr
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/21/01 11:33:42 pm)
    I have not had the opportunity to try 92 mags in a 96. I will say that they are two different part numbers, so I am going to err on the side of caution and say they are NOT interchangeable. Having said that, I imagine the only difference would be in the magazine lips, to accomodate the larger diameter cartridge. While it may be possible to modify 92 mags to work, I'd stick with finding 96 clips...

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

A Professional
    (10/22/01 12:04:10 am)
    Well the Beretta site, www.berettausa.com didnt help much. They dont even list the Elite 2's on there anymore. From what I've read, the 92's and 96's are very close construction wise.

Either way, I sent them an email about the subject. I'll let ya'll know the verdict on compatablilty. Oh, and if any of you do happen to stumble on some hi-cap 96 mags, I'll pay well.

needleace
    (10/22/01 6:18:13 am)
    I agree with TTL. two different calibers. Wouldn't even venture there. Try to pick up a copy of Shotgun News.
    They have a multitude of mag sales. one that comes to mind
    is Conn Investments at www.cdnninvestments.com. Try them.
    And stay safe. Stay with the mags that are made for the weapon.

BlackGun
    (10/22/01 11:00:20 am)
    We have a member who is in the business. You may elect to see his web site or e-mail him your wish list!

**COPIED** From Buy/Sell/Trade

We have the broadest on-line and in-stock retail collection of handgun and rifle magazines. Some overpriced and some priced to sell at www.ammoclip.com

If you can't find it we may have it.

Thank you for looking.
    justask@ammoclip.com

rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

needleace
    (10/22/01 4:55:40 pm)
    Sorry-BG
    Since I'm somewhat newbieing around, didn't know one in the family had this business. My apologies. And since we're on mags, need to find out about some extra mags for my new G27 and the Pierce ext. if you got them. Will check the website out. Thanks-

Edited by: needleace at: 10/22/01 5:59:27 pm

A Professional
    (10/23/01 3:32:47 am)
    Well Beretta replied, and they said there are no model 92 clips that'll fit a 96. Expecially since most, (or maybe all, not sure) 92's are in 9mm.

I'm thinking since the 96 is a newer model, there are probably next to no pre-ban/hi-cap clips out there. I guess you could try to get your hands on a Law Enforcement clip, but I would'nt even go down that road.

I guess I shoulda bought that Para-Ordinance. They have a deal now, when you buy a Para-1911, you can get two pre-ban 14 round magazines for $100. Not bad considering you could probably sell them at $75-100 each in a few years.

-You'll never know the true effectiveness of a laser sight, untill you've had one pointed at yourself-

Omicron from GB
    (11/4/01 6:18:48 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Question about my Beretta Pistola
    LEO mags all have "For Law Enforcement & Military Use Only" stamped right into the metal. Even posessing one is a 5 year federal felony.

As I recall on the Beretta 92 -vs- 96, the "High capacity" mags for the .40 cal only hold 11 or maybe 12 rounds. If I'm right in my recollection, then it's probably not really worth paying a super-premium price for that extra round. Might want to check it out.

That's my 2 cents.... hope it helps.

steelcore
    (3/21/02 12:24:38 pm)
    Check out this guy...don't know about this for sure but worth investigating.
    www.pistoleer.com/beretta...ines.shtml

barbon
    (3/25/02 2:25:12 am)
    I have some 15 rnd 92 mags and I compared them to the
    96 mags. The 96 mags lips are wider apart and the follower looks to have a bigger radius. I loaded the 15 rnd 9mm mags with .40 S&W and it holds 10 rnds. So more than likely a bigger capacity 96 mag will stick out the bottom of the gun.
    I don't know whether the thing will cycle in the gun or not.
    Didn't check.

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/25/02 4:29:33 am)
    In my year and a half old issue of the shotgun news there is an ad for FORREST CO with berette mags listed 11 rds for $20 and 16 rds for $39.50. At that price they have to be aftermarket not factory. No website but the phone number is 1=888-372-5968. I have bought from them in the past with no problems.

The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum
    To err is human. But to really screw things up you just about have to have a computer.
  2. raveneap

raveneap New Member

I've had a 96 for several years - the original magazines are 10 round; the newer "hi-cap" nagazines are only 11 rounds, hardly worth the extra $$ IMO. And the 92's are all 9mm while the 96 is a 92 in .40SW clothing. But it's an excellent gun.
  3. hankroberts

hankroberts New Member

Do you happen to know if a Taurus mag will work in the B? I recently purchased a Taurus 9mm used, and it arrived with a .40 mag instead of 9mm. The seller sent a correct mag, but now I have a 40 mag and no use for it. I'd let you have it very reasonably if it will work for you.

Hank
  4. Lazarus40

Lazarus40 New Member

When I bought my first Beretta 92 (a former Dept.of Energy gun) one of the spare mags that came with it was a factory Model 96 mag. It held 15 rounds of 9mm and fed and shot just fine. It would hold 11 rounds of 40 Short....I know 'cause a friend prevailed upon me to sell him this mag for HIS 96 just after the Assault weapons ban came into existance.

Remember, Ruger supplied the SAME mag for the P89 in 9mm as well as the 40 caliber pistol. A number of manufacturers do not supply mags different for the 40 S&W but sell only the 9mm magazine. The factory mag for the Astra Model A75 is marked 40 S&W on one side and 9mm on the other.

I think, due to the late, but unlamented and now gone Assault weapons ban, the manufacturers had to come up with a 40 S&W mag that would NOT feed the 9mm round. If they had not done so, these 10 round 40 caliber mags would have held 13-15 rounds of 9mm and therefore be a violation of the Ban. But, pre-ban, I saw no difference other than markings on many of these mags.