beretta o/u shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dboyden, Sep 22, 2003.

1. dboyden

dboyden New Member

I recently purchased a shotgun, but I am not exactly sure what model it is or roughly when it was made.
    It is an o/u Beretta, 28" barrells, no interchangeable chokes, single trigger. It has a silver colored receiver with engraving. On each side of the receiver is written P. Beretta Gardone V.T. Under the receiver it reads
    s56e PATENT. The serial is P30XXX.

I am not trying to sell it or anything, I just want some info on exactly what model it is, roughly when it was made, etc. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Oh, one other interesting point is that the stars indicating the chokes were stamped inside the receiver instead of on the rear of the barrell.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2003
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I am not that familiar with Berettas.
    Just wanted to welcome you to TFF.
    Someone should be along shortly that knows about the Beretta.
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

You have an S56 E .... which is a more finely finished model of the S55 B: 12 or 20 ga., 26,28, or 30 in. barrels, various chokes, boxlock, extractors, selective trigger, checkered pistol grip stock, engraaved receiver and auto ejectors. Discontinued (but it doesn't say when)

Blue Book Values:

98% - $775
    95% - $700
    90% - $650
    80% - $600
    70% - $550

Roughly when was it made? The book doesn't say, buy my guess would be in the 1970's. If you contact Beretta at: email@berettausa.com or phone them at 1-800-636-3420, maybe they can tell you.
  4. dboyden

dboyden New Member

thanks

Thanks for the info Xracer, that was helpful. Also, thanks for the welcome pickenup. This looks like a great discussion board.
  5. BJSGEAR

BJSGEAR New Member

HI ,IT WAS MADE IN 1965, BRYAN.
  6. BJSGEAR

BJSGEAR New Member

7. BJSGEAR

BJSGEAR New Member

HI, IT WAS MADE IN 1965
  8. dboyden

dboyden New Member

Thanks for the response, especially considering I posted the question over two years ago. Nice suprise, LOL. Really thanks. BTW, just curious, do you mean they stopped production in 65 or did you have a way of knowing the specific year.
  9. Spinone Pete

Spinone Pete New Member

For others with Beretta models in need of date identification, the attached proof mark summary was supplied on another forum by a Beretta fan.

I also had a key to the numerous other proof marks on the various portions of the Beretta breech and barrel/chamber block areas. When I come across it again, I will update this post.

Anyone have a vintage model S56E double trigger O/U in either 20 ga. or 28 ga. they want to part with? I love my 12 ga., but need less gun for woodcock, etc. An old Beretta (or equiv.) SxS would work, too. Thanks.

Attached Files:

10. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Pete......welcome to TFF, and thank you for the informative table.
  11. Spinone Pete

Spinone Pete New Member

Actually, Xracer, it is more like "Minnn-a-sooo-ta, ya, sure, you betcha!" -- it is that regional lilt that is so endearing to others from outside of our region. This Norwegian and Swedish influenced colloquialism is much like the primary dialect in the "Iron Triangle" portion of south-central North Dakota (some prime pheasant hunting country and home to Lawrence Welk -- and that talented Anchie Dickinson gal from over dere to Kul-um), "vere you vould crap yer checkit, back your Dotch outta yer crotch und drife to town once."

(Literal translation, "where you would grab your jacket, back your Dodge out of your garage and drive to town (once).")

I lean to the Germans from Russia end of the spectrum and claim no Norsk heritage -- although we're also far enough north to throw in the occasional "eh" without giving it a second thought, eh? Still, I know good lefse when I see it (and have eaten lutefisk -- once!).
  12. checker

checker New Member

RE; vintage BERETTA model S56E double trigger O/U in 20 ga....I've got one planning on selling for a friend. Listed on ********* currently.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2009