The Firearms Forum banner

Beretta Silver Snipe

7K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  parrish5o 
#1 ·
I have recently purchased a Beretta Silver Snipe and I have a couple of questions about it. First of all I bought the gun for $345 yesterday. This morning I shot 75 rounds through it, the top barrel worked fine but the bottom barrel which fires first missfired four times. I believe the gun was made between 1955 and 1967 so im sure this is normal with a firearm of this age. Is this something that can be easily fixed by a gunsmith and are the parts available? My second question is about the manufacture date. It has XVII stamped into it. Despite the firing issue I am still happy with this gun for the price I paid for it. I am not exactly sure what percent you would consider it but it has a few minor dings in the wood and very slight rust on the barrel, no pitting in the metal at all. Any info would be very helpful. Thanks!

#3 ·
Since the bottom barrels are at a slight disadvantage when it comes to striking the primer hard enough they generally are the first to go when either the springs are weakened or they need to be shimmed. I would not attempt to do anything yourself on that action. Doubles are complicated and can be ruined when in the wrong hands.

#4 ·
Welcome parrish, Helix is right. you should take it to a smith that you trust and have him check the springs and lower firing pin. The upper barrels firing pin is pretty much straight on and would take alot to make it not fire, but the lower pin falls at a pretty good angle and any weakness in striking force will cause it to slow too much to detonate the primer since the firing force is spread out between the pin riding on one side of the recess and hitting the primer of the round. It should be a relatively easy fix for a good smith and shouldnt cost you a whole lot, depending on parts requirements and availability of course..

BTW, Nice pet gator. I like Gators, they taste great!

#5 ·
I think I found a good smith today, the work he does with custom 1911s is great. He said it would be no problem but I'm still going to research the local smiths before I decide to go with this guy. And yes I do agree.....gator lightly battered and fried is hard to beat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.