BERETTA WW2

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by SPHYNX182, Dec 6, 2005.

1. SPHYNX182

SPHYNX182 New Member

MY AUNT JUST GAVE ME A NEW PISTOL THAT MY UNCLE JACK HAD "ACQUIRED" OFF OF AN ITALIAN CAPTAIN DURING THE SECOND WAR.
    I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT CALIBER IT IS, BUT I DID WRITE DOWN EVERYTHING ON THE PISTOL. THE PISTOL IS ALL METAL, INCLUDING METAL GRIPS. IT IS SIX INCHES LONG WHEN CLOSED, AND 4.5 INCHES TALL. HAS A WORKING SAFETY WITH S WHEN LEVER IS IN SAFE POSITION AND F IN FIRE POSITION. ON THE ONE SIDE IS STAMPED PISTOLA AUT BERETTA, 765 FROM WHAT I CAN TELL AND THE WORD BREV. OR PREV. AND ALSO FOLLOWING WITH THE NUMBERS 1915 SPACE 1945 OR 1915, IT WAS HARD TO MAKE OUT. ON THE FLIP SIDE OF THE PISTOL IS MATCHING SERIAL NUMBERS POSTED ON THE RECIEVER AND A GRIP, THE NUMBER IS 230024. IT HAS THE MARKING OF PB IN CAPITAL LETTERS IN A CIRCLE ON THE GRIP. COMES WITH ORIGINAL HOLSTER AND MAGAZINE. THE MAGAZINE IS RELEASED FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE GRIP. THE ONLY OTHER THING I FOUND TO BE UNIQUE WAS THERE WAS NO EXTERNAL HAMMER. THE HAMMER IS ON THE INSIDE OF THE PISTOL. IT IS A SEMI AUTO. ANY INFO I COULD GET ON THIS GUN WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THANKS,
    REX
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Sphynx.....welcome to TFF.

OK, your pistol is a Beretta Model 1915 or Model 1915/1919.....they're slightly different inside, otherwise they're identical. They were standard Italian Military Issue during both WWI and WWII.

The "PB" on the grip stands for Pietro Beretta, the manufacturer.

The caliber is 7.65mm....the same as .32 Auto or .32 ACP, and ammunition is available for it at almost any gunshop.

The Model 1915 was manufactured from 1915 to 1922 and about 65,000 were made.

The Model 1915/1919 was made from 1922 to 1931 and about 50,000 were made.

The value, according to the Standard Catalog of Military Firearms is:

Exc. - $350
    V.G. - $300
    Good - $225
    Fair - $150
  3. peterbonovich

peterbonovich New Member

I too have inherited a Pistola Beretta.
    The left side of the slide is engraved with the following:
    PISTOLA AUT-BERETTA 765 BREV-1915-1919-
    There is a small symbol of a crown over a lion in a circle a few millimeters to the right of the engraving.
    It contains matching serial number, 204376.
    It came with the holster and one clip.

Three questions:
    1) With this serial number, how old is this pistol likely to be?
    2) From what I've read it will fire .32 Aut or .32 ACP ammunition. Is this correct?
    3) Though I know that the condition will play a roll, what is a range of values that this might be worth?

Peter
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Peter,
    All the info you seek can be found directly above your posting. Info was provided by Xracer.
  5. peterbonovich

peterbonovich New Member

Thanks, I noticed the previous entry right after I hit enter.
    Here's a new question though. How hard is it to date this pistol based on the serial number? I see that it's quite a bit lower than others of the same make and model.
    Peter
  6. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Actually, Beretta is one of the few companies that keep accurate records on all their firearms. If you contact them and give them the serial number and model, they can usually come up with the date of manufacture.
  7. hunt

hunt New Member

hi all
    i as well have one of these little .32's
    however it has this marking
    can anyone tell me what it is?

thanks in advance

Attached Files:

8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Hunt, your pistol is the same as that described and discussed above. The "RM" stands for Regia Marina, or (Italian) Royal Navy. The "F" is not part of that mark; it is the "Fire" (Fuoco) marking for the safety.

Jim
  9. hunt

hunt New Member

thanks jim k
    i knew it was the same as the detailed reply above just had not seen the RM indication
    i had thought it was navy concidering the anchor in the emblem just wanted to make sure

the F i knew was the fire position of the safty
    the only other thing i've seen is NO mfg date as seen on the other's
    although it most likely is just worn off
    thanks again
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  10. keith26

keith26 New Member

dear sir i as the man before me have acquires from my grand parents a beretta pistol and on it has written these . pistola aut beretta 1934 6.35 brev 1919 . the problem that i ahve is that i dont have any amunition and i want to buy some amunition but i want to be exactly what i have to buy because i dont wantto fire it and get hurt many thanks keith

11. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

G'day and welcome Keith26 !

6.35mm ammo for the baretta is .25 cal ACP and this ammo is available in many loads and from many makers

but if i may suggest do not buy Plus P or +P ammo as this load is for more modern pistols and metals

greetings to you in Malta From Australia

here is a contact for you in Italy ( who cover Malta )

CHEDDITE S.R.I.

Via del Giaggiolo 189
    57124 Livorno
    Phone: + 39 0586 85 4295
    Fax: +39 0586 85 4393
    E-mail: cheddite@tin.it
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  12. keith26

keith26 New Member

hi sir many thanks for your help and promt reply i even has on it a crown marked and with the words psf [what they mean ] so you suggest normal .25cal ! here i had a talk with a friend of mine and he told me that you can shoot .22 short cal but i think they are not good if you told me that mine takes .25 many thanks keith chetcuti from malta .
  13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

.22 short is dangerous in .25 , its loose enough to spin and jam in the barrel ..

NEVER use ammo thats is not meant for your gun.. its a very fast way to have accidents

enjoy your shooting
  14. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

.22 Short should not even stay in the magazine of that pistol and if it were to be single-loaded into the chamber it would be a fluke if it somehow fired.

Use 6.35mm Browning / .25ACP ammunition.
  15. keith26

keith26 New Member

thanks a lot guys for your promt reply and very use ful now i will go to local shops and buy and then how the shooting went many thanks .