Beritta M9

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by fhsmith, Nov 5, 2007.

1. fhsmith

fhsmith New Member

Does anyone have an opionion on the Beritta M9 handgun? Looking to get a good pistol for home and shooting on firing range.
  2. The civilian version of the M9 is the Beretta Model 92, fh. M9 is the military designation for the same handgun. It is the general issue pistol for all U.S. military forces.

It's a good handgun. I own and shoot one and have been quite happy with it. It's only drawback, in my opinion, is its relatively large size for the round that it uses, which is, of course, the 9mm. Some with rather small hands find the grips on the pistol to be rather too large due to its high-capacity (15 round double stack) magazine. It's an accurate and reliable pistol and would, in my opinion, make a good home-defense weapon. For concealed carry though, it is a bit too large to be comfortable, at least I found it to be.
  3. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan New Member

There is, or was, a model 92 that is slightly smaller and came with a 10rnd mag.
  4. fhsmith

fhsmith New Member

Thanks a bunch for reply. I, as stated, am looking for a good, reliable handgun for target and home protection. I have large hands which would negate the large size of the pistol. I'm sure the reliability factor of the hand gun is great, looks good, probably the gun for me.

Where on line should I go to get a good deal?

Thanks again for your assistance.
  5. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan New Member

I usually hang out at brandX.com and sometimes find fairly good deals, but others, like Auctionarms.com and "sometimes" gunsamerica.com, are decent places. Also, know your states local laws. High caps aren't allowed in most places. One good thing about living in Alabama (or the South East, in general).
  6. fhsmith

fhsmith New Member

:)thanks for post. Will check out the suggested sites.:)
  7. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

If you like the Beretta style gun, I would check out the Beretta 96. It is identical to the M9 but it is in .40S&W
  8. Taurus_9mm

Taurus_9mm New Member

Yes they're fine pistols and you certainly could do much worse than the Beretta 92FS or similar variant I also recommend checking into the Taurus PT92 series which are a licensed reproduction of the Beretta 92FS. I own one with a few thousand rounds through it and I've never had any issues with it. The two are almost identical from outward appearances but most parts will not interchange.

One of the biggest differences between the two is the safety. On the Beretta it's located on the slide while on the Taurus it's on the frame.

Best Wishes.

www.taurusarmed.net www.berettaforum.net