Berry's Manuf lack of service

Discussion in 'Feedback Forum' started by dbach, Nov 8, 2011.

1. dbach

dbach Member

All

I ordered three LE Wilson Pistol Gage's from Berry's Manuf. A .40. .38 and a .357. The .40 and the .38 arrived as ordered. The .357 box was labeled correctly .357 Mag Pistol Gage, however the Gage its self was wrong. They shipped me a .357 case length Gage in a .357 Pistol gage box, which is of no use to me at all. I called Berrys and told them what happened. They explained to me that I could return the mislabeled gage to LE Wilson because Berry outsources the LE Wilson products. I told Berrys that I ordered the tool form them, not LE Wilson and I expect them to honor the sale, meaning I return the improper tool to them and in return they send me the proper tool (as ordered).

Well they agreed to refund the purchase price for the wrong tool if I send it back. However I would need to reorder the tool. They wanted me to return the tool, pay the postage, and take a chance on a replacement order.

Didn't sound like a responsible way to handle a customer to me. I expect them to stand behind the product they sell, weather it's outsourced or not has nothing to do with me. I didn't choose outsourcing for Berry Manf, they did. I'm a customer that expects to be treated fairly. If I order a product from a company and the wrong item arrives I don't expect their mistake to cost me money.

My account has been canceled and I will never spend another penny with Berrys Manuf. I'd suggest you do the same.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

If it is plated bullets that you normally bought from them then a replacement source (and probably the first bullet manufacturer who did offer plated bullets) is Rainier Bullets. I use them exclusively because my source of most all bullets stocks them regularly. Rainier is sold by Dillon and Midway, and by several of the big stores.

I too refuse to do business with suppliers who do not do the "right thing" when it comes to customer service. About 25 years ago most of the reloading products industry was much like Berry's Bullets (based on your story). Then along came Dillon with super duper service. Slowly most all the reloading industry has followed suit and provided better if not excellent service. I guess Berry's Bullets didn't get the MEMO. :) :)

LDBennett
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

4. dbach

dbach Member

Berry's and I reached a mutual understanding. I see it as a win win situation.

Tahnk you Berrys manufacturing for lending an ear.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

What is with businesses today?? Here's a similar case in a completely different field.

I ordered some RC Car parts ($165 worth) and the company set the wrong motor ($40 motor). They refused to pay return shipping for their error (company policy spelled out on the web site, is their position). They said they would review it if I sent a picture of the wrong part. What's with that? Do they think I can not read the wrong part number on the package or the part? I'm actual insulted! It is still up in the air but they gave me an RMA. They somehow don't understand my anger. It is not the money but the principal of the thing. I must have spent many times the cost of shipping with long distance charges (no 1-800 number and I sat on hold for nearly an hour over the three phone calls I was forced to make). If "you" make the mistake then you pay, not the customer!

Even if they finally solve this, the whole experience will probably make me not order from them again and you can be sure anyone who will listen will find out why. Don't they get that good customer service is what makes a business survive? Look at Dillon for instance. Their service changed the industry.

OK. Enough venting.

dbach: I'm glad Berry's Bullets finally saw the light and did the right thing.

LDBennett
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I'd be willing to bet that this was not a "Berry's" problem, but more a "customer service rep" problem.

A few years ago I called MTM. Asked them if their boxes were guaranteed against customer stupidity. Lady asked me what I meant. I told her I had a full 100-box sitting too close to the edge of the bench, and when it hit the floor it broke. She asked size and color and sent me a new one. Last year I called again, with a similar problem. I stepped on one. This customer service gal said they only guaranteed their hinge (for a million openings). Oh well. Win some and you lose some.

Some years back I ordered a steel Jerry can from Cheaper than sh - uh - cheaper than dirt. It was full of rust. I called and complained. Told them to send me a call tag, so UPS could take it back, and to send me a good can. They told me it would cost more to ship it back than it was worth, so just to toss it. They would refund my $8.95. Told 'em I didn't want my 9 bucks back. I wanted a good gas can. Nope, just gonna refund my 9 bucks. What about the 8 dollars shipping? Too bad, so sad. I don't deal with cheaper than junk any more.

I had quit dealing with them even before they tripled their prices on everything gun related the day after the election.

Amazing how many people seem to have forgotten that.