Bersa 85 magazine woes

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by johnlives4christ, Sep 30, 2009.

1. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

my friends grandpa has a bersa 85. and being the gun nut in the family (im considered part of their family) i've been put in charge of finding him a spare or even 2 spare magazines. im told 40 to 50 is the going rate IF you can find them. which i caint. im also told i can take a beretta 84 magazine and modify it to make it work. and have seen one modified.

does anyone have any suggestions on where to find one, or if the mod works. the one i seen just had another notch cut to accept the bersa mag catch. looked simple enough just trial and error to make sure the fit is good and round the sharp edges off.

~john
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

just remember the most important thing about fitting clips of a different gun is caliber (kinda obvious) and angle of the clip. Everything else can be manipulated.
  4. johnlives4christ

thanks pinecone, i had not looked there but they didnt have it.

helix, yeah both the mags in question are 380 im not sure if the angle is the same but it's dern close. if he chooses to go that route i will make sure the angle that the bullet is held in the feed lips is the same after i make sure they are the same size. i was only told it would work, so i wouldnt spend an hour fitting the clip before i checked to see that it would. could even load the magazine and hold it in the gun with my support hand and shoot it to make sure
  5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Model 83 (don't know of a model 84) is single stack - 6 shot; Model 85 is staggered feed and holds 13 rounds. I purchased one about 10 years ago for my 85 and at that time they were scarce, it cost me 75 bucks. Try Triplek.com for a good quality repro mag.
  6. johnlives4christ

still in search of a solution to this problem. does anyone know if converting a beretta 84 magazine will work? i dont want to buy a beretta mag just to find out.

i found some bersa mags for sale, but they were in the 75-100 price range and grandpa dont want to pay that. he said if the converted mags work it's a go.

~john
  7. johnlives4christ

does anyone have a picture of the right side of a beretta 84 mag?
  8. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Dang-it. I just had a 84 in two weeks ago. Needed a sear. I can call the guy to see if he can take a picture with his phone.;)
  9. johnlives4christ

i actually found a picture online but thank you for the thought helix.
  10. johnlives4christ

well i found out that the conversion wont work because there is a notch that disengages the magazine disconnect in my grandpas gun. i told him i could remove the magazine disconnect feature but he dont want that. so unless i find a used mag pretty quick for 50.00 or less, hes going to swap the gun for something he can get extra mags for.