The Firearms Forum banner

Bersa owner with a CCW question

6K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  LurpyGeek 
#1 ·
Hi all. I recently purchased a Bersa Thunder 380 for concealed carry. It took me a long time to come to the decision of what I would buy to begin carrying, and I chose the bersa for its small size and affordability. I'm planning on upgrading in the future (read- when funds are available).

My main question is this:

As someone new to handguns and carrying, what is the best (accessible but safe) way to carry a bersa? It can't be carried in the traditional 1911 "condition 1" because the safety really needs two hands to operate and functions as a de-cocker as well.

With the DA/SA function, I'm thinking that "condition 2" with one in the chamber and the hammer down would be fine, but I'm nervous about the possibility of something bumping the hammer and causing an accidental discharge. Is this possible?

It appears that there is also a "half-cock" function on the weapon as well, but the manual doesn't make any mention of it (as well as being very vague about other things and generally full of spelling and grammatical errors). If carrying with an empty chamber, I can draw and rack the slide quite quickly, but I know that this causes a delay and that two hands may not be available to do so.

What are your thoughts? I appreciate the advice.

See less See more
#3 ·
That is the sensible way to carry a DA/SA pistol. With none in the chamber, it is nothing but an interesting paper weight.

#4 ·
That is the next pistol I'm getting. I carry a KelTec P3AT constantly everywhere I go. I'm soon to acquire another .380, one a little bigger for pleasure shooting or for carrying concealed. I feel quite safe with one in the chamber at all times in my P3. It's important you have a holster that covers the trigger so the trigger doesn't get pulled back causing an accidental discharge. You might do some searching the 'Net for some drop tests on the Bersa Thunder. There is also a Bersa owners group on the 'net that should be able to answer about any question you have on your Bersa. So far, most opinions I've read about the Bersa is it's a very reliable firearm. Lastly, with the DAO, you don't have to worry about trying to rack the slide to get a bullet chambered in a gun emergency. If you have a wounded arm, like someone jumped you from out of nowhere and cut your arm with a knife, it would be impossible to rack the slide. Already having one in the chamber will permit you to defend yourself even if you only have one arm to do it. I never experienced DAO until I bought my KelTec. I really like it, and that is why my next gun will be a Bersa.
Ohio Rusty

#5 ·
Thanks for the info. Fired my Bersa at the range yesterday and I'm very happy with it. The DA trigger pull is REALLY long. Like I almost have to get a running start at it. I understand that makes it much safer and I'm fine with it as long as I have experience with it. The SA trigger pull is quite nice.

Does anyone have any info on the half-cock function? I'm aware of the bersa talk forums and I have perused them quite a bit, but that seems like a much less hospitable forum than this one. I like it here and know I'll get advice I can trust from experienced individuals.

G
#6 ·
I'd definitely go with a condition 2 type carry with the Bersa. The pistol is small enough that cocking the hammer should not present a major problem if you choose to shoot single action mode on the first round.

#7 ·
The half-cock has been around for centuries. It is there to catch the hammer if you should slip while cocking it. If you slip, the hammer stops at half-cock and doesn't fall all the way. The round in the chamber does not fire.

Don't carry your gun on half-cock. Keep the hammer all the way forward.

#9 ·
What Oneida Steve said!
I carry a bit heavier weapon, in a 1911 pattern pistol, almost always hammer down, on a loaded chamber, as the Israeli's advocate; they are in some of the most hostile turf, on the planet, and it works well, for them!
California 'drop tests' would 'fail' these pistols, excepting only the series '80, and later guns; but, when was the last time you dropped a weapon, precisely enough to land on the hammer?
The test itself is a fantasy, to implement their idea of safety, in their world.
The United States Army used the design for nearly 90 years; how bad can it be?
And, what Obxned said, makes sense, too. While an empty chamber is not an 'unloaded gun' it might as well be, if you need it NOW.
In the rare times and places where a 1911 pattern pistol is not an option, I opt for a small frame, double action, revolver, usually a "J" frame Smith; I am fortunate to have several, and they 'live' in several places about my home, and workplace; all are loaded, all are 'DAO', with the 'full cock' step ground off the hammer, to absolutely avoid their being utilised, in 'single action' mode, yet, double action, they simply point and shoot.
Having heard the 'is it loaded' question, far too many times, my pat answer, today, is "What use is an unloaded gun?"

#14 ·
Your Bersa is an excellent handgun, and except for being just a tad heavy, is a good carry gun. The additional weight will make it a bit easier to shoot. The .380 ACP is near the bottom of viable self defense guns for stopping power, but I'd sure hate to be shot with one, particularly if it were loaded with Glasers or Federal Hydra-Shoks. Don't let the Glock and 1911 clone boys put it down.
It won't do you much good unless you load it and that means one in the barrel.
I carried a PPK (cousin of the Bersa) for years as my concealed carry gun, sweating out a shoulder holster, in preference to my big S&W revolver or Colt autoloader. A carry gun should be ignorable, not something endured. I now carry lightweight guns (about 1 lb) in 9mmP and .357/.38 and often forget, upon returning home, that I have them on.
I traded off my 25 oz PPK when Kel-Tec came out with its 14 oz P-11. A modified (trigger pull) P-11 is what I carry most of the time now. Old Timer

#15 ·
Wow, haven't seen this thread for a long time.

I've carried the Bersa for over a year now. I'm looking to upgrade to something in a more substantial caliber and have my eye on a few options, but the Bersa has been a dream to carry. Sometimes I have to think twice to remember if I've got it on me or not. I've been blessed to never have to clear leather, but it has been nice to have in several situations (my wife would agree). 100% reliable as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.