Bersa Thunder .380 ACP Pistols

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Rhuga, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Rhuga

Rhuga Member

After checking a number of reviews on these pistols. I find that there seems to be arguments as to what ammo to use in them for best effect. And since I do not have an Owners Manual I need to ask dumb questions.

Can they shoot +P ammo also?

Since I will have my life on the line for personnel defense. What is the best ammo for:
    1. Stopping Power and penetration
    2. Jam free and most dependable operation
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  2. Double Deuce

Double Deuce New Member

My wife has one and for the Personal defense we use the Hornady TAP ammo, it has never jammed on that, some of the target brands it has not liked but not had many jams on those either.
  3. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

I doubt you will find any owners manual that tells you to shoot plus p ammo in a weapon made by a main line firearms manufacturer. For carry ammo, shoot plus p if you want to. Dont go to the range and shoot it up for practice ammo. It probably would be just fine for 5000 shots, but why shoot it when you dont need it?
  4. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

5. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Silvertips in my Astra will open up into a nickel size projectile when shot at wet phone books.:cool:

I've never shot +P ammo in a semi auto. Seems like it would be pretty hard on the pistol. I wouldn't hesitate using it in a revolver.
  6. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

Plus P is not really that harsh on the pistol. Presssure on the 9mm luger for example is held down by SAAMI because they have to keep it safe for the old pistols manufactured over 100 years ago. There is no reason whatsoever that a modern 9mm should not operate at the same pressure a modern .40 S&W operates at.
  7. cluznar

cluznar Former Guest

I carry my Bersa Thunder .380 with Corbon Pwrball ammo, have put about 50 rounds of it thru the Bersa with no problems. For practice I just use FMJ Range ammo which shoots with no problem.
  8. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Most modern made handguns will take a limited number of shots of "+P" ammo. The extra pressure (+P) ammo will quickly loosen and wear out many guns as compared to shooting regular lower pressure ammo. The benefits of of "+P" handgun ammo are questionable, at best, relative to more quickly stopping a violent attacker.

Here is a link to a FBI Paper that everyone who carries a gun should read.
    http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

Premium and "+P" ammo can be somewhat likened to fishing lures at Cabela's, Gander Mountain, Bass-Pro, or other large retailers. Often, many lures do a better job of getting less than knowledgeable fisher-persons to buy then than they do relative to catching fish.