Bersa Thunder .380 Question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by GulfCoastRocketman, Nov 11, 2008.

1. GulfCoastRocketman

GulfCoastRocketman New Member

One of my co-workers (with my help) recently bought a Bersa Thunder .380. I've found some posts on the internet regarding the Thunder and the Walther PPK being nearly identical - to the point of being able to interchange the magazines

Is that accurate?

Mags made exclusively for the Bersa seem next to impossible to find, but I can go down to my local Academy and buy a PPK mag off the shelf - she's a bit leary of buying gun parts online (not sure why) and would prefer to be able to go brick and mortar for her parts.

Thanks!
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I believe that I would either find a friend that had a PPK, and check his in my gun before buying one, or go first to the manager of the Academy and tell him you wish to check and make sure the replacement magazine will fit your gun, and try it in the store.
  3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The PP and the PPK have at lest two different types of magazines{ pre and post war} which are not interchangeable with each other. For what the Walther Magazines sell for I would not take the chance. I just checked with e-gunparts and for the Bersa 380 they offer 5 different types all different. No wonder she can't find it locally, on line from someone such as Triple k may be the only way to go.
  4. GulfCoastRocketman

GulfCoastRocketman New Member

Yeah ... I sent her some sites, and she was ... not impressed.

I think I might try the mag check at Academy - if they'll let me
  5. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

Any quality gun shop should be able to bring in your magazines. The cost is going to reflect them handling them. I was able to find a dealer locally and picked up my 380 thunder mags locally in stock. I can not help with the ppk mag interchange. I have a ppk/s and they are totally different magazines.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Y'know, I hadn't thought about that until reading 6x6pinz's post. There ain't no way a ppk mag can work. The Bersa is a 7 shot, and the PPK is a 6. The Bersa might accept a PP or PPK/S mag (they are the same thing) but the PPK's is gonna be too short.

The only difference between a PP and a PPK mag is the length/capacity. For guns of the same generation, I mean (so don't get started on pre-war guns).
  7. lead

lead Active Member

The Academy store in Joplin, Mo. has Bersa mags on the shelf all the time. Ask the store manager to order some for you. Bersa mags aren't cheap, but it is a very reliable little gun. My wife has had one for over two years and it's been very dependable and accurate.