Best .22 pistol for Long term use

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Tezz7300, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Tezz7300

Tezz7300 New Member

Hello I am new to these fourms and will be on a lot. I recently graduated from college and am looking to purchase one .22 cal LR rimfire pistol. Due to limited funds and the fact I love to shoot I am seeking advice on the best possible pistol for both small game hunting (rabbits, squirrals, etc) and plinking. This leads me to my question I am only able to afford one fun shooter for several years, I shoot a lot and am seeking a gun that will allow several hundred thousand rounds to be put through over the next few years. Typically I run through 2-3k rounds on a average weekend. I have narrowed my choices to 2 particular models the Ruger sp101 revolver in .22 cal or the semi Mark III ruger .22 cal. Do any other owners of these particular models notice problems after short or long periods of time? If so what and what one would you recommend? also how is the quality build of these models and how much do you shoot. Thanks.
  2. Donnie D

Donnie D New Member

I have a Sig Sauer Mosquito and my wife has a GSG 1911 and a Browning Buckmark. We love all 3 guns, but probably the most accurate and dependable would be the Buckmark.
    Donnie D
  3. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

2000 - 3000 in a weekend? That is a lot of shooting. I would also have to say the Browning Buckmark. I've had mine for about 18 years and it has been flawless.
  4. One Shot

One Shot Active Member

You won't go wrong with the Ruger Mark III.

(I have the Mark II)
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  5. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Any of the above.
  6. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Ruger MKIII...I swear mine is like a hand held rifle. A good MKII is also a fine choice and you can pick up a good used one for $250.
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have a Ruger mark III 22/45 and I don't think you can wrong with either Ruger. I don't think I put 2000-3000 round a year through mine!! I have a cheapo red dot scope on mine and it is very accurate.
  8. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Did you mean 2-3 Hundred? Thats a lot of rounds....
  9. Tezz7300

Tezz7300 New Member

yes 200 - 300 a week end but I want somthing very reliable as it will be my only pistol my 30-06 rounds are to expensive to just keep shooting 100+ on a average saturday at about 200-600 yards target. Unfortuntly my place is kinda small so reloading is out of the question for now. Thus I am seeking very good pistol that is reliable for many years to come that can keep shooting provided proper care is given I end up shooting between 2k -3k .22 cal a month sorry.
  10. Albtraum

Albtraum Well-Known Member

Never experienced a malfunctioning .22 pistol, but because most 22LR ammo isn't very consistent, you'll have jams every now and then. I think it comes down to what you like. Can't go wrong with a Browning Buckmark or a Ruger Mark III. Ruger now has the SR22, I think it costs more than the Mark III.
  11. fordtrucksforever

fordtrucksforever Member

Any of the major manufacturers has decent choices. I shoot a Browning Buckmark, and Ruger Mk III. My next choice will most likely be a Beretta U22. They all have good reviews and quality made. It gets down to personal choice and fitting your hand. Any of these should be worth the investment and last a long time, in no particular order.

Beretta U22
    Browning Buckmark
    Ruger Mark III
    Smith & Wesson 22A
    Wather P22 Target

I would prefer a longer barrel variant for shooting small game, plinking and target.
  12. RockinRiley

RockinRiley New Member

I have the buckmark camper, it is awesome. I have recently shot the ruger though and love it too. Both are fantastic and comes down to personal preference. I right now want to buy a 22 revolver and the sig 1911-22. (but lacking funds I think the old proverb of which hand fills up first will come true!)
  13. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forum Tezz7300.
    I own neither of the handguns, but have put several thousands rounds through both. With the MRK III, you'll have to find the right ammo that it likes.

The SP 101 is a very good revolver and I only have one complaint about it and it's the small grip. I have large hands and it just dont fit right.
    (Glad to hear I'm not the only one that spends lots'a $'s on .22 ammo!) :D lol
    I shoot the CCI Blazer's in both guns and both are great shooters!
  14. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

I have the Ruger Mark II Government Model and and the Buckmark. I prefer the Ruger!:) Cliff
  15. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

I have a Ruger Mark ll and Mark lll. Like em both. the Mark ll is about 20 years old or more. I have shot many thousands of rounds through it and it has held up fine. I can't think of a better choice.