Best .22 rifle

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by J.D. Bass, Mar 12, 2011.

1. J.D. Bass

J.D. Bass New Member

I'm thinking of getting a new .22 rifle. Right now all I have is a 10/22, and its great for consistency and its a very hearty gun. I'm looking for the same attributes in a second .22 but I need the accuracy and fit that the 10/22 lacks. The other thing is that I need to stay under or around $350. Is it doable?
  2. J.D. Bass

J.D. Bass New Member

oh yeah...ps....the only gun I'm checking out right now is the Henry H001 and other models of Henrys. Not to say I wouldn't be open to anything else, open to any sugestions right now.
  3. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Put your $350 into building the 10/22. Tons of options.
    Also, tons of choices for .22s, doable for that price.
    Look at a large gun store, Gander, Dicks, Cabelas, etc
    and you can find many to touch.
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

If you want accuracy and fit, stick with a bolt and not a Henry. I love Henry's and they're nice guns, but not nearly as accurate as can be had for the money.

Yes, $350 range is doable, check out the Savage offerings or a CZ452. Probably get some other suggestions here too, but that would be my choice for that budget range; alot of accurate bang for your buck and plenty of mods available to either if you want to tinker with them down the road.
  5. Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy Member

Get a CZ 452 American if you want to shoot very accurately with a scoped rifle

[​IMG]

or a CZ 452 FS if you want to shoot very accurately with an open sighted rifle.

[​IMG]
  6. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

I have several .22's, one that sticks in my mind for accuracy is my Remington 597, it drives tacks! I bought me, my three sons, and my two son-in-laws each one and they are all very accurate. However, I always thought the 10/22 was an accurate rifle? I surprised, maybe OZO is right, think about customizing. $350.00 for a new .22 shouldn't be a problem if that is how you want to go.
  7. J.D. Bass

J.D. Bass New Member

ozo, interesting to think about customizing my 10/22 but I kinda just want a second gun. Also, I visit gun shops and auctions pretty often but, I want something special and I just haven't put my hands on it. Wolleyworm, I took a quick look at the CZ and I like what I see. I'll have to read some reviews and do my homework. I have never been exposed to any CZ guns. I hear they are pretty great. Thanks guys for your suggestions.
  8. J.D. Bass

J.D. Bass New Member

SheffieldShooter's post is pretty convensing :). AL, I already did the 597 thing. Just the wrong gun for me. The 10/22 isn't bad on the accuracy, but it isn't awesome. I learned to shoot .22 (at the age of 7) a bolt action single shot Remington .22 that was super accurate. Maybe the most accurate rifle I ever shot. I used that for squirrels and other small game all thru high school. I'd like to get that kind of accuracy back but with a little more in the way of size and less limited to one shot.
  9. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I think for that budget range; you'll find very very little arguement on what the most accurate rifle is - the CZ hands down. They're well made and have a very good feel to them.

AL - 10/22's are fairly accurate guns, there is just so much that you can customize on them and still plenty of room to squeeze more accuracy from them. I've got a neighbor that has over $1500 into his 10/22; a bit of overkill IMO, but it's what he enjoys and he has let me shoot it, so it's good by me! :D
  10. Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy Member

One of my shooting friends, Willie Rhodes, used his left hand model of the CZ 452 American to set the USBR 50 Meter Sporter Class record last year:

http://usbr.benchrest.net/usbr_rec.htm
  11. J.D. Bass

J.D. Bass New Member

Wow S.shooter, thats quite an endorsement. I've just been shopping around for the CZ 453 FS (because I like to shoot open sites) and I see that they are going for about $100 out of the olé price range. I'm not in a hurry, so I'll just save for a while. At this point thats on the top of the list. I'll have to get to Jays Sporting Goods and Cabelas before I make up my mind. Its nice that everyone here is so generous with their information. Thanks.
  12. Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy Member

The FS is a fine choice but don't wait too long as CZ is phasing out production of the 452 models and replacing them with their new 455s. The 455 is a lesser rifle.

By the way, the FS is stocked better (low comb) for open sight shooting but I have had a scope on it at times and it handles a small scope in medium height rings quite well:

[​IMG]

I like the way my FS will even shoot well with cheap ammo like CCI Blazer:

[​IMG]
  13. Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy Member

Keep in mind, you can get into a CZ 452 Special (aka Trainer, aka Standard) for around $325 to $350. Beech stock, longer barrel, just as accurate:

[​IMG]

Here are some 50 yard open sight groups from my first outing with this Special on Halloween Day (2010):

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  14. J.D. Bass

J.D. Bass New Member

I called my brother who has the old single shot that he and I shared growing up. He said it is a Remington 514. Crazy accurate for a small light .22 Wouldn't mind having another one of those either.
  15. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Those 514s are definitely a well-built rifle. I actually like the whole Remington 51X series... I'm going to have the whole set someday. :cool: Just not yet.
  16. J.D. Bass

J.D. Bass New Member

If I were going to shop for another 51x gun it would be the 513. They had a clip and would hold 5 or 6 rounds. I just can't remember if that gun would take the shorts like the 514 would. Anyway, great, cheap little guns.
  17. Phshmx-1

Phshmx-1 New Member

I have a 1902 wincheaster single bolt action .22 short that I want to restore . It seems the spring for the cocking mechaism is broken. any suggestion?
  18. J.D. Bass

J.D. Bass New Member

Sorry man. You should post that question in the "technical questions and information" forum. They are pretty good about that kinda thing.
  19. Phshmx-1

Phshmx-1 New Member

Whats it worth?
  20. Phshmx-1

Phshmx-1 New Member

ok. thank you