Best 22 Semi auto

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by gerard488, Sep 25, 2011.

1. gerard488

gerard488 Member

Planning to buy a new 22 semi auto rifle, Anyone have any ideas on most accurate and most reliable? Thanks, Gerard
  2. Chinook

Chinook New Member

How much are you willing to shell out is the question?! Hahaha!
    If you are tight on money, a Marlin Model 60, or Ruger 10/22 is not a bad way to go. The aftermarket parts list is endless, and repair, and maintenance is dead simple. For the most part anyways.

One of my favorite budget, Semi-auto .22's is the Remington 552 BDL Speedmaster.
    The 597 is also a great semi-auto, with a really reasonable price tag.

What are you lookin to do with it? Punchin paper at the range, bustin brush hunting small game animals, something in-between??
  3. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

10/22 is a good way to go you can replace all the parts yourself even the barrel quite easily.And they are well made.fun little gun.
  4. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I prefer the 10/22, but I do gave a marlin that I'm trying to get rid of.
  5. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

No-one makes the "Best" .22 rifle, but ONLY the 10/.22 can be built into the best .22 rifle FOR YOU. This one is my best:
    [​IMG]
    It began as a standard carbine, with the barrel band. Bedding and trigger work was done by me. It wears a Shilen 22" Varmint contour stainless barrel, and a Mueller APT scope. It weighs about 8 lbs, and puts 5 rounds of CCI mini-mags into 1/4" @ 50 yards. In still air, it's a blast to "plink" at 200 yards.
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    +1 on the Remington Speed Master! My all time favorite! Not only is this gun accurate, but it shoots shorts, longs, and long rifle. You can even mix them in the tube if you want to, and it will still eat them all!

Attached Files:

7. doubs43

doubs43 New Member

I've owned a couple of Remington 552 rifles; one brand new. Accuracy was, at best, only average. Both were sold for exactly that reason.

For out of the box best accuracy, the Thompson Center may be the answer although I don't care for the mags they use. If economy is a priority, the Marlin Model 60 is generally pretty decent.

If you want to go the customize route, the 10/22 has no equal but don't expect a tack driver out of the box. You can turn a 10/22 into a 50 yard one-hole rifle but it won't come cheaply.
  8. Capt Mac Turk

Capt Mac Turk New Member

So Fla-- NO place to Shoot AKA "TFF" Posting Clo
    I love my Marlin Model 60
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I've owned two of the Speed Masters, and they were both tack drivers. I know though that you can get a lemon at anytime, from any manufacturer.
  10. Chinook

Chinook New Member

The SpeedMasters Ive owned were also pretty durn'd accurate out at 50 yds.

My 512 SportMaster, tube fed bolt gun will eat the .22 Short, Long, and LR as well, and it is not at all accurate compared to its newer, semi-auto bretheren. Just a matter of fact I 'spose, but like previously mentioned. If you want a platform to build from. You cannot beat a Ruger 10/22.
  11. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

13 Million Marlin-60's sold since 1960.

7.2 Million Ruger-1022's sold since 1963.

Pretty obvious which is the Most Popular .22lr rifle in the world! Ain't it??

13 Million Marlin fanatics can't be wrong!! :D
  12. raydcarter

raydcarter New Member

An Anschutz model 1903 would be good. ODCMP sells them for about $1500. For something more affordable, try a Savage MK II.
  13. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Not quite correct, Marlin 60 & 795 have a nice variety of aftermarket stocks & toys...so does the Remmy 597.

The 1022 has so many aftermarket parts available for a variety of reasons, the big one being, Ruger makes what is basically an AK-1022...
    its not real precise compared to other rifles in its category, but with a little modding, it feeds pretty much any .22lr ammo on the planet.
    Same could be said for several other semi-autos made by others...

But what Ruger did was Genius...they followed Microsoft's Biz Model and licensed EVERYONE that applied...
    creating a friendly-market environment...which coupled with the OEM suckyness of the 1022,
    meant that anyone who had an idea for a better part, could make it...and sell it...with the Brand Name 1022 on it.
    Volquarzen has made MILLIONS on the bones of Ruger, and now makes a far better 1022 than Ruger ever dreamed of.

Want proof?? Watched the latest Top Shot?? Thats a VQ 1022, not a Ruger they're using for trick shots...and that's just the tip of the iceberg...

All that being said, more quality product makers are doing more stocks, accessories, etc for more brands than ever before...
    strangely enough, many of them started out as 1022 accessory makers and are now diversifying,
    because 7.2 million 1022's really means there ain't much of a market share you can get with 50 other MFR's doing the same thing.

The Marlin 60/795 stock availability has effectively Octupled in the last two years...
    Remmy's 597 has seen a similar increase...and proprietary accessories for both are coming hard & fast...
    So its a GOOD thing...cheap rifles are getting better secondary support than ever before!! :)

It also means that the Marlin 60, with 13 million sold...almost twice that of the 1022, is getting way more support...
    which means more fun for all!!
  14. Chinook

Chinook New Member

WHA! They were doing trick shots with a factory custom VQ 10/22?!!!

I have seen a few of these at the range, and other, full custom VQ "10/22" incarnations. For a semi-auto, the guys shootin off-hand at 25, and 30 yards were practically puttin each round directly behind the previous. One-holers...almost!!! These guns cost about what a "competition, entry level" Anschutz does, and performs almost as nicely!
  15. marlin795

marlin795 New Member

Calvary Chapel Conference Center; Murrieta,CA
    The first pic is my 795 stock, the second is my customized 795 only $100 later...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011