1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Best 22 Semi auto

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by gerard488, Sep 25, 2011.

1. The Duke

The Duke New Member

2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

It is hard to say who makes the most reliable/accurate .22 rifle. I have a Mossberg 42MB that is older than I am that I think is the most reliable and accurate one. I came so close to buying one of these today!

Attached Files:

3. gerard488

gerard488 Member

The 795 seems interesting, Some other reviews claim that it is real accurate. Just wondering now ,are there different stocks available for it or bigger magazines?
    I plan to use it to shoot paper and maybe the odd rabbit
  4. marlin795

marlin795 New Member

Calvary Chapel Conference Center; Murrieta,CA
    They make 25 round mags for it. Just not here in Cali. :( It's very accurate, been killing tin cans with it at 100yards no problem.
  5. Chinook

Chinook New Member

That is a nice rifle Marlin!
    How do you like the 795 so far. Sounds like you've been havin fun, and killin cans from a long ways out! How do you like it compared to a stock 10/22, or Marlin 60? I keep seeing them on sale at a local sporting goods store. I almost sprung for one like a month ago, but couldnt justify it without knowing a little somethin about it!
  6. marlin795

marlin795 New Member

I love it. It's a great fun and I have no problems with it at all. I would recommend it.
  7. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

Awright. Some guy copied my pic and claimed that his Rem. something or other was wonderful for only $100 more. Sorry dude. You lack the barrel and the bedding. Ultimately accurate .22's are very carefully construed, and there ain't no shortcuts.
  8. marlin795

marlin795 New Member

Well, it's perfect for me so it doesn't matter. It's a Marlin btw.
  9. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

"Perfect for me". Bingo!! A man who knows what he likes and trusts his own preference is remarkably free of the opinions of others. That's why I wear a Casio watch....
  10. Chinook

Chinook New Member

Yeah... But your 10/22 wears a Rolex! Thats a "bling" rifle without lookin the "bling" part.
    Couple questions for you if you dont mind...The Varmint contour Shilen is about as heavy as they come, yes? And how did it "fit" your gun? Ive heard of different barrel brands being "finicky" on certain rifles.
    But, I am in the process of acquiring the knowledge/resources to start building my dead stock(minus the optics) 10/22 carbine. The only thing Ive done so far is build a new trigger group, with VQ parts, but I am waiting to drop it in 'til I get the rest of the components, and get confident enough to bed the reciever/barrel. At first I was going to have a gunsmith do it, but I think I'd like to try it myself. Considering the gun cost me 50, or 60 bucks at a pawn shop so many years ago, it wouldnt be a total loss. My plan was to tear the gun down, after I have the parts I think I need, and do the "build" all at once. Also, I kind of like the factory stock, would you ever change yours out, if you built it again? And speaking of...did you just cut the front of yours down after you removed the barrel band?
    Just curious, as its hard to get search results, of any relevance for stuff like that. Although Ive learned a lot about the subject, reading posts dating back to this forums inception!

Marlin, Ive got my hands in the stew over at an auction site, for a basically stock 795, like yours, but it comes with the standard mags, not the SS, but it wears an unusually nice Leupold scope(prolly cost more than the rifle brand new), and comes with a really nice hard case. I hope it gets a spot next to the Model 60 in the safe!
  11. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I have an old speedmaster I have had for probably 20 yrs? It has been a great little gun.
  12. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

I'm a Rem guy so I am bias, I have several different models and love them all. But a lot of folks buy Ruger 10/22 and seem very happy?
  13. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Um, oh yeah, quite a few choices to play with...

Boyds Riflestocks carries 7 different models of Laminates for the 795/60...

Aw heck...just do a google search of Big Shrek Marlin 60/795 accessories, you'll pull up a 6-page listing of Marlin 60/795 toys :D

I'd post a link, but they hate it when you do that.

Synthetic stocks...
    Wells P-90 stock fits the 795 with a few minor mods...
    Muzzlelite Bullpup model 70 stock...
    Ramline model 70...
    and almost any weirdo kit for a 1022 can be modded for the 795...like the MG42...just gotta add some plastic filler & fiddle the T/G area.
    Here's my 795 wearing a Ramline...
    [​IMG]

Oh, anything made for the Marlin 70 just needs a hole drilled in the T/G area to let the LSHO lever thru...easy peasy.
    The Marlin 70, 795, 989, 989-M2, 995, etc, are all the same rifle, just with different stocks & the 795 has LSHO.
    (Last Shot Hold Open)

Shooter's Ridge made a 25-rd mag...but it kinda required that your rifle be pillar bedded
    and you had to fiddle with it to get it to work right...

Champion (SR) is making the second-Gen SR mag...which I've yet to test, but reportedly it works a little better...

Marlin offered a 20-rd mag with the 70HC, which was the daddy of the 795.
    Ramline used to offer a hi-cap, but quit making it in 1995, when Bill Clinton's Anti Gun Law (Assault Weapons Ban) took effect.

Avoid at all costs, the National Magazine 15-round magazine...it SUCKS worse than the 1st-gen SR mag.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  14. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

Wow you got a lotta questions! Yes, the Shilen Varmint contour is heavy, but I think it's still a little less than a 20" .920 bull. This was on close-out at Midway, and I think I paid $360. That's dirt cheap for a barrel of this spec. Yes, this barrel was a monster to get into the receiver, and I doubt it can ever be taken out.
    That is the standard stock, cut as you thought, but I'm pretty pleased with one trick from the tips and tricks section of http://www.rimfirecentral.com
    About 2" back from the forend, you drill a centered hole, and insert whatever kind of long nut you can firmly glue in there. I used JB Weld. From the outside, you insert a set screw, and on the inside, you use a short piece of nylon round stock. That nylon stock gets sanded round to fit the underside of the barrel while you're inletting the stock for the barrel. The purpose of this set-up is to determine the correct amount of tension to put on the barrel for optimum harmonic tuning. Once you find the correct torque for both that stud and the receiver stud, you can bed the barrel with a pressure point, closer to the v-block. I used JB Weld for that as well.
    No way would I change this stock out, unless I upgraded to a very nice Walnut stock, but then it would need all that work again. Birch is very good for a dry climate. It's very tough, but still pretty light. Where there's more humidity, a laminated stock would be better to help prevent warping.
    For receiver bedding, I used PAM cooking spray for a release agent. It worked, but I found that it's not so good at the rear of the receiver. I almost glued both of my CRR receivers in for good. Lucky for me, I checked them about 4 hrs. into curing. I used JB Weld for my bedding agent as well. Tensile strength is far more than any other epoxy type stuff, so it serves pretty much as a subframe between the wood and metal.
    I don't know how these guys get their 10/.22's to shoot at all with the Boyds' free floated stocks, as I consider barrel bedding to be the single most important thing in 10/.22 accuracy. By the nature of the v-block, an unsupported barrel will eventually droop.
    You can install all of your mods at once, but expect to spend a considerable while getting everything tuned in. Don't expect to see your best results until sometime after the first 1,000 rounds. Don't worry about wearing anything out. I've read that Eley changes their test barrels after 1 Million rounds, whether they need it or not.
    One final edit!! Yes, the bling factor. This rifle has about $750 into it.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  15. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

Since we're into modified 10/.22's, here's a much cheaper alternative:
    [​IMG]
    This is a standard CRR carbine, with a Green Mountain 20" fluted stainless sporter barrel and Bushnell 3x9. Cost on this one is closer to $475. Be warned that Green Mountain has a VERY SERIOUS problem with putting way too much chamfer on the breech of their barrels. This one was just plain dangerous as it came from the factory. I sent it back to them, and they fixed it a little, but I will personally never ever deal with them again. It does shoot remarkably well, and weighs about 6 lbs.
    This one has had my own trigger work and bedding. It shoots just about to the practical limit of the caliber, bouncing empty shot hulls around @ 100 yards with boring regularity. Barrels of equal quality can be had from a long list of other companies, like tactical solutions, Kidd, Whistle Pig, etc...
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011